Another Suggestion

I have a suggestion for the forums. This is a PKI site, but you guys hardly talk about PKI. Usuaslly all the forum activity is in the games that have nothing to do with PKI. I think if you guys tried to talk about PKI then this site would be much better. I like the idea of an off-topic discussion but it takes away from the regular forums.

I think what your trying to say is that you want to do away with the "spam" forum. We have looked at removing it as well but it seems to keep people happy. And that is what we strive to do, keep you the PKIC user happy.

If others share the same idea as Mars, please post below. If there are many replies, we will hold a vote.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the SPAM section is awesome. Nearly 100% of the people who log on this site love PKI.....but there is more to life than PKI. Having the SPAM section helps people relax, communicate, laugh, and develop communication skills. Please do NOT do away with it.

If SPAM is gone........where can we play word games? Where will I be able to post about the birth of my son next year? You guys are doing great...please leave SPAM.

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

:chef:

Sorry Chef, but as I look into my crystal ball, I don't see spam being around forever. This page isn't about who's kid is being born, or posting about anything under the sun. It's about PKI (as well as the amusement industry).

That's where we hit the dilemma, if we start heavily moderating the spam section, you people will just be afraid to post because you'll just think that we'll close or delete your topics.

Perhaps we could be distinct about what to post about.. "Other parks" -- things like that.

I don't like the word games in the least. It seems like people come on here, see that no one has posted anything in the topics, and then just do the word games and leave. It kind of takes away from the regular boards from what I've seen. Games like "Name that coaster" and "PKI trivia" were great ideas, but no one really seemed to want to participate in them. Games like "This or That" and "Rocks/Sucks" become too repetitive and become off the topic of PKI way too often.

I suppose one day in the future, we'll put it to a vote and let all of you decide. This is a web page for the people. Ultimately, it's going to come down to what your PKIC staff thinks is best for the page.

Then again, it's the off season, so with the exception of construction, you're not going to see too many worth while threads.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Spam forum isn't going anywhere... not quite yet. We will look at the issue again once the season starts.

Please respond to this post and tell me what you guys think,

Ryan

Ok, let me throw my two cents in, but it may not even be worth that much :P I am a moderator at 4 different forums, including my own forums. In all of them but 1 we have an off-topic or non-coaster related section. In those 3 forums, they haven't gotten out of hand, people have responded to them well, while still be active in the other parts of the board. The forum that we don't have that type of section is over at COASTER-net. We have talked over and over about adding one or not but always decided no. But this is the problem with that. Since we don't have an off-topic section for people to talk in about normal everyday stuff, topics sometimes get off-topic on their own numerous times. This now becomes more of a problem for the moderators that have to edit posts, delete posts, and close the topics. As you can tell, I am in favor of having an off-topic section. I think that if people feel that they can't talk about anything outside of PKI here, it could acctually hurt the number of active posting members. But that's just my opinion on it.

As for the word games. Every board I have been to have these as well. They have become a fact of coaster forums today. I think that if you want to change something about the way the games run, make a rule that it has to be coaster or theme park related. That should keep a better handle on the games. And hey, I'd participate in a guess the coaster game. I love doing those ;) Sometimes when people come to the board, they don't see any active topics that they are interested in or know about, so they just post in the games. I figure it this way, if it weren't for the games, they wouldn't be posting here at all that time. Then if the person comes back later on, they may see topics that they are interested in and post. For example, look at me. I used to come by once in a blue moon and post in the games. Now I've gotten active in the other sections again and took the time to write this severely long post ;)

Hope this gives everyone another take on what's going on.

I agree with Chef and Grunts both, strongly.

Not only coaster forums have off-topic areas. I have never participated in any forum that didn't. Word games, Top-5's, etc. keep people coming back when things are slow - who will see something else that interests them. They also help people to relax - and then feel more comfortable debating other topics with virtual strangers.

I would go on but they summed it up quite well already.

I agree that having an off topic area was a good idea, but this is a PKI forum and having topics about video games and comedy DVDs makes it hard to do.

Allow me to reiderate, though. This decision won't be ours. If we do decide to get rid of it, it will be YOU that votes it off the island.

If you really want to keep it around, just watch your posts and make sure it's nothing that will get out of hand.

-Ryan

I agree that having an off topic area was a good idea, but this is a PKI forum and having topics about video games and comedy DVDs makes it hard to do.

I wanted to ask one question about something I didn't quite understand. By all means I'm not trying to start anything, but what do you mean by this part I quoted? Are you saying that it is hard to keep moderated and clean, or that it just doesn't go with the rest of the site?

Because of "topics" like This or That and The Guy Above Me I don't visit this site as often as I visit other PKI sites. These "useless" (my opinion) topics make me look at this site as not being very serious. And it really feels like there are four or five posters who see this as "their" site and use it for personal communications and only respond to each others' posts.

Because of "topics" like This or That and The Guy Above Me I don't visit this site as often as I visit other PKI sites. These "useless" (my opinion) topics make me look at this site as not being very serious. And it really feels like there are four or five posters who see this as "their" site and use it for personal communications and only respond to each others' posts.

Yeah, I kind of agree with that statement.

<<I agree that having an off topic area was a good idea, but this is a PKI forum and having topics about video games and comedy DVDs makes it hard to do.

I wanted to ask one question about something I didn't quite understand. By all means I'm not trying to start anything, but what do you mean by this part I quoted? Are you saying that it is hard to keep moderated and clean, or that it just doesn't go with the rest of the site? >>

I mean that it's hard to keep this forum a PKI forum when we have an open off topic discussion. It could go any way really... I mean, if the topics were about different parks and stuff like that, then it would fit in well with the forums, but we're talking about DVDs and video games.. that's totally fine for now, but we just want to keep things PKI-oriented here.

Remember to vote on whether or not the spam forum will stay!

http://www.pki-central.com/forums/index.ph...&f=7&t=299&st=0