Want to ride the old Kings Island Monorail?

Gordon Bombay

Did you ride the monorail at Kings Island when the Wild Animal Habitat was open? Did you never have the chance? Would you want to ride it now?

This weekend you have a chance! I would've posted this earlier, but I didn't notice it until last week.

The monorail at Kings Island (and the Wild Animal Habitat) last operated in 1992 and was removed around 1993. Jungle Jim's International Market in Fairfield purchased it some time after and eventually re-located it to their Fairfield store. The monorail sat idle for a few years until Jungle Jims constructed a station building and track that connects to their event center.

This coming weekend (October 1 and 2), the store is hosting their "Weekend of Fire" event. Tickets are $7 the day of according to their website. The coolest part is this: You can ride the monorail from the outdoor event to the "arena of fire" in their banquet center.

So while it may not be the monorail in its original form, it is a chance for you to check it out.

Just figured I'd pass it along if anyone's interested in checking it out this weekend. And be sure to read up on the history of the monorail (and check out some sweet photos) here on KIC:

JungleMono_02.jpg

http://www.KICentral...ry/monorail.php

And be sure to read TombRaiderTY's EXCELLENT write up on the history of the WAH here:

http://www.KICentral...opic=23540&st=0

• Like 2