Flight of Fear Gets "Haunt-ified"

BoddaH1994

Those of you who have been taking the opportunity to get some night rides in during Haunt may have noticed that the rides department did a few subtle but neat things to enhance your Flight of Fear experience. Lasers have been added to the saucer area and the launch tunnel in honor of Halloween Haunt. The one in the tunnel is actually really neat and adds a "confusing" factor to the launch experience. It's worth checking out.

• Like 1

I got some pictures of the new lights and props in the queue last Saturday.

DSC01711.jpg

These lights are mounted just above the entrance to the ship, and create quite a neat effect. You can stand in them. Sorry for the bad picture, but they move really quickly.

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01714.jpg

These are new to the room just before you enter for loading. I was quite surprised to see them. Again, sorry about pic quality (awkward lighting)

DSC01716.jpg

This was on the wall in the same room as the aliens.

These are really interesting additions that really enhance the effects of the ride.

The effect in the tunnel is very neat and was quite a surprise!

Glad to see FoF getting some attention! One of my favorites :)

• Like 1

And except for the suspended alien in the queue, these seem like changes that could easily be kept into the regular season in future years... It would even be almost silly to remove them! Let's hope they stick around.

• Like 1

So, Flight of Fear is haunt-ified. Boo Blasters is haunt-ified.

Think there are any plans to haunt-ify the most potential-haunt-worthy attraction we've got: The Crypt? A few lasers and strobe lights in there might make a difference! :P

Ah, wishful thinking.

So, Flight of Fear is haunt-ified. Boo Blasters is haunt-ified.

Think there are any plans to haunt-ify the most potential-haunt-worthy attraction we've got: The Crypt? A few lasers and strobe lights in there might make a difference! :P

Ah, wishful thinking.

It has been disussed. Maybe some day......

When was the antenna tower removed from the entrance?

Last season mid way through Halloween Haunt. Seemed like they did it to make more room for the amount of foot traffic that bottlenecked there. You had two mazes and two rides.

OK, thanks, I liked the C-band dish for the prop...:)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

^

Mad-Cobra-Dalian.CHINA_.jpg

joker6.jpg

There ya go! Various identical clones of our Flight of Fear exist around the world (with the presence of brakes on the straightaway in the middle of the course being the only difference). Obviously, most are outdoors.

TRIVIA: A different roller coaster manufacturer was challenged to create a ride that was similar to the "Flight of Fear" style, with tightly intertwined, compact, thrilling, launched layout. Their result was:

i7k25087s0o1g003ndecim.jpg

... which was later closely duplicated and placed indoors as Walt Disney World's Rock 'n Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith.

There's really not much to see of Flight of Fear with the lights on. The building is dusty and the floor is littered with junk. You can see the cranes that installed the ride. It's much better with the lights off, because it heightens the sense of speed and puts the ride in its proper atmosphere.

@GYK182 Thanks for those photos! I've been looking for FoF clones and what the ride looks like with the lights on. what are the names of those first two rides?

The first is either Mad Cobra or Crazy Cobra. (they are the same coaster, it was relocated).

EDIT: Apparently this is actually Poltergeist. See PKIDelirium's post below.

The second is Joker's Jinx at Six Flags America.

@GYK182 Thanks for those photos! I've been looking for FoF clones and what the ride looks like with the lights on. what are the names of those first two rides?

The first is either Mad Cobra or Crazy Cobra. (they are the same coaster, it was relocated).

The second is Joker's Jinx at Six Flags America.

Actually, the first is Poltergeist at SFFT.

This is Mad Cobra/Crazy Cobra:

mtespgul848002ce001jmq.jpg

4vf02epbj63ql8jfkgrds0.jpg

I actually think riding it with the lights on is pretty cool. With the building, it's hard to tell which way is up, and you can see the track twist around you which makes it more disorienting, not to mention the headchoppers!

• Like 1

Yea the dark part is half the fun. i still remember a couple years ago my cousin rode it with me for her first time and at the end she was like "you didnt say it was in the dark" :-). then she said ok that was my favorite ride here(yes she had already ridden DB, beast etc)

• Like 1