Halloween Haunt Maze Reviews

jdawg1998

My first time going this year was great, I got in 5 mazes in three hours! I may be going again tonight, and next week, so I will add on until I do all of the mazes!

Holiday Horror - So much fun! It wasn't as scary as it was funny, and very nicely themed. President's Day made me laugh like crazy, and you'll see why. In Valentine's Day, there was Cupid, and in the beginning of it they even had New Year's. Not the scariest, I mean, there were some little jumps, but a lot of fun. 8/10

Urgent Scare - I have never done this maze in my life. But it was great! The gore and blood was outdone (in a good way) and some nasty things occurred. Semi-scary maze, in my opinion, but very funny, bloody, and very "cool"! 9/10

Club Blood - Eh, it was alright this year. It seemed better last year. It was a lot less scary. Only a few jumps, and not enough scareactors in my opinion. There is one part that will always get me - *spoiler* the motorcycle part in the beginning, that made me jump five feet! 7/10

Tombstone Terror-Tory - Terrible. They did not make effective use of woods and trees, instead, every five feet was a big box with a person hiding behind it. So predictable, and not scary at all. I mean, the first few boxes scared me, but it got way too repetitive. And the train was really dumb to, kind of pointless. Skip. 3/10

CarnEVIL - Once again, another maze that was a lot of fun more than scary. Everything glows in the dark, there are disorienting tunnels, bubbles, and several clowns (not enough, same problem with Club Blood). There could have been a lot more scares in it. 7/10

Massacre Manor - My favorite maze last year is my second favorite this year. It's just your typical haunted house, which is why it's good. A lot of unexpected jumps, and has a good story behind it. You must do this if you go to get the full haunted house experience! 9/10

My Rankings (as of 9/30/11)

1. Urgent Scare

2. Massacre Manor

3. Holiday Horror

4. Club Blood

5. CarnEVIL

6. Tombstone Terror-tory

Rankings (in terms of scariness)

1. Massacre Manor

2. Urgent Scare

3. Club Blood

4. Holiday Horror

5. CarnEVIL

6. Tombstone Terorr-tory

What was your favorite/last favorite?

• Like 1

last night we went through tombstone, cornstalkers, nightmare alley (ish), and mysteria. Generally, none of them were good. Tombstone was predictable, although the use of fog was good. Cornstalkers was too bright and too open. Nightmare alley could have been cooler, but i enjoyed the laser lights. Mysteria was really awkward and disappointing. Maybe they will get better closer to halloween?

We went last night and overall were disappointed in all three of the mazes we were able to do. Nightmare Alley was cool, I really like the lighting and fog effects but I think it is mis-named. Holiday Horror was okay and honestly probably my favorite for the night but they really need to work on the cue after you get your pictures taken, it was kind of a cluster. Urgent Scare was a huge disappointment for me. It has always been one of my favorites but the changes with the cue and exits really nurtured the Haunt. Also without the elevator effect at the beginning they ended up with just one long continues line and the actors were not able to re-set for each group. The last Haunt we did for the night was Massacre Manor. By the time we finally got trough the line it was kind of let down, I think this Haunt just needs some updating. Also nobody was behind any of the hidden panels on the wall in either Urgent Scare or Massacre Manor, cut backs? We did start and finish the night on Boo Hill, it was nice to have it opened but I have to wonder if it will continue since it seemed like nobody was riding it. We also did not understand the point in the actors standing along the track since they did not do anything. And one final rant – TOO MANY FRIGHT LANE PASSES! This was defiantly noticeable when trying to get into Massacre Manor.

We went last night and overall were disappointed in all three of the mazes we were able to do. Nightmare Alley was cool, I really like the lighting and fog effects but I think it is mis-named. Holiday Horror was okay and honestly probably my favorite for the night but they really need to work on the cue after you get your pictures taken, it was kind of a cluster. Urgent Scare was a huge disappointment for me. It has always been one of my favorites but the changes with the cue and exits really nurtured the Haunt. Also without the elevator effect at the beginning they ended up with just one long continues line and the actors were not able to re-set for each group. The last Haunt we did for the night was Massacre Manor. By the time we finally got trough the line it was kind of let down, I think this Haunt just needs some updating. Also nobody was behind any of the hidden panels on the wall in either Urgent Scare or Massacre Manor, cut backs? We did start and finish the night on Boo Hill, it was nice to have it opened but I have to wonder if it will continue since it seemed like nobody was riding it. We also did not understand the point in the actors standing along the track since they did not do anything. And one final rant – TOO MANY FRIGHT LANE PASSES! This was defiantly noticeable when trying to get into Massacre Manor.

Urgent Scare did have the elevator effect when I went last night. In fact, there were strobe lights, several scareactors, and it felt like the room was moving. Maybe they didn't do it for you.

Edit: Oh and I also agree with you about the name of Nightmare Alley. It's themed to a carnival, right? Nightmare Alley sounds nothing like that! They should change the area to CarnEVIL, and change the name of the maze.

Urgent Scare did have the elevator effect when I went last night. In fact, there were strobe lights, several scareactors, and it felt like the room was moving. Maybe they didn't do it for you.

Edit: Oh and I also agree with you about the name of Nightmare Alley. It's themed to a carnival, right? Nightmare Alley sounds nothing like that! They should change the area to CarnEVIL, and change the name of the maze.

They were not running the elevator effect when we went through, just walked right through the room.

Went last night, four more reviews!

Mysteria - I have no clue what the heck this is. It was boring, disturbing, and absolutley not scary. I also have no clue what Kings Island was thinking when they came up with this. It has got to be one of the freakiest (as in weird) and most disturbing things I have ever experienced, no joke. 1/10

Slaughterhouse - Wow, just wow. So much better than last year. This is the first maze I have been genuinely scared. Chainsaws, meat cleavers, gore, strobe lights, and a whole bunch of scares puts this maze at #1 on my list. I couldn't even do it twice it was so scary! 10/10

Cornstalkers - Reminded me a lot of Tombstone Terror-Tory. Repetitive, VERY repetitive. The first couple scares were good (scarecrows camouflaging into the walls), but as you went through it it got more predictable. Also, the location still doesn't work out because you can hear the crowds of people outside it. It ruins the feeling of it. 4/10.

Wolf Pack - Another disappointment of the night. As soon as I walked in I thought, "Wow, this looks cool." but the scares just weren't delivered right. The theme was great, and there are a LOT of places a wolf could hide. Instead, they were in the middle just walking around, getting in your face, and growling at you. Kind of like Mysteria....4/10

All I have left to review is Cut Throat Cove, but it always has way too long of a line. Hopefully I'll do it before close!

I will post an actual trip report from last night in a few minutes.

My other mazes for the night: And I didn't put them in order of time because...I don't know.

Massacre Manor (twice) - Did this twice because it was 12:45 and everyone was leaving! Surprisingly, at such a late hour, it was a lot scarier than Friday night during the most crowded part of the night. There was no realtor in the beginning of it though...that ruined it somewhat. 8/10

Urgent Scare - Not as good as on Friday, definitley. There weren't as many scareactors and it was really dark for some reason, and you couldn't see too well. Disappointed, but still my top because of the funny lines the people say. 7/10

Club Blood - First one of the night at exactly 7. It was alright, it was really dark just like Urgent Scare and a lot of the people that scared you were hidden. It is still fun to mess with the girls in it, and is still a very fun maze, but not too scary. 7/10

Slaughterhouse, Wolf Pack, Cornstalkers, + Mysteria on the above post!

Overall, Saturday night wasn't as good as Friday - besides Slaughterhouse scaring the heck outta me!

Rankings (as of 10/1/11):

#1. Slaughterhouse

#2. Massacre Manor

#3. Urgent Scare

#4. Holiday Horror

#5. Club Blood

#6. CarnEVIL

#7. Wolf Pack

#8. Cornstalkers

#9. Tombstone Terror-tory

#10. Mysteria

Went last night and the ones we tried:

Carnevil: Fun maze. Not too scary, but lot of cool things to look at and entertaining. 8/10

Holiday Horror: Went when it was still light out and didn't realize there was no roof to any of the scenes, so wasn't scary, but had cool themes. I bet we'd like it more if it was dark when we went. 7/10

Slaughter House: Best house of the night. Lots of good scares and scenes. Ending was unique and freaky. Liked watching the chainsaw guy scare people at the end. 10/10

Urgent Scare: Disappointing. Long line could use some scareactors to mess with people. House itself was more gore than anything else. People who looked like burn victims were cool looking, but weren't really scaring people effectively. 5/10

Nightmare Alley: Disappointed as well. Posted my thoughts on it in a Nightmare Alley thread. Mostly bad location and not enough scares. 3/10

• Like 1

I haven't gone this year, but in years past it was pretty much as it's been described on here. Long wait, short train ride, another long wait and then a path with boxes and barrels every once in a while which signifies that someone is waiting behind said box or barrel to scare you (but since you know they're there, it's not that scary).

At least, that's how it has been in the past.

I haven't gone this year, but in years past it was pretty much as it's been described on here. Long wait, short train ride, another long wait and then a path with boxes and barrels every once in a while which signifies that someone is waiting behind said box or barrel to scare you (but since you know they're there, it's not that scary).

At least, that's how it has been in the past.

That's exactly how it is. I thought it was a long train ride, and that was the whole Haunt. Guess not...

i doint think there's a whole hell of alot they can do to tombstone other then boxes and barrels this setup this year seemed better imo due to the fact thats theres alot more crates and not every single crate always has a person behind it so sometimes people doint think thier goina be in the next crate due to the one being empty

Maybe build some temporary enclosures to mix it up a bit here and there? Have some scenes in the woods. Since there's no haunted trail anymore, this is the next best thing so take some of what they used to do.

Like I said, I haven't been on this one this year, but going by years past; something needs to be done differently.

But who am I to judge? The line for it was on its way to stretching to the Crypt on Saturday, so it ain't hurting for business. It's just one I chose to skip.

But it's not necessarily helping business, either! Maybe that's a benefit of the way Six Flags does their Halloween events (and a benefit of the ticketed-attraction system). Rides that aren't pulling their weight and making money are removed or overhauled. As it is, having an attraction of mediocre popularity at Kings Island might not hurt, but it doesn't help, either. It's a flat fee to enter the park, and all of the haunts are included, so whether five or five hundred people go through a given haunted maze, the park loses money on payroll and makes money with general admission, which can then be applied to all the haunted houses.

At Six Flags, if a maze is unpopular, people won't pay for it, its operating expense will nearly or completely overcome its revenue, and it will be retired. One has to wonder if Kings Island does any guest satisfaction surveys to find out which themes and haunts are working? Or do they simply judge a ride or attraction's popularity by the queue line's length? As we've seen here, the two aren't necessarily correlated.

Just thinking out loud!

Slaughterhouse - Wow, just wow. So much better than last year. This is the first maze I have been genuinely scared. Chainsaws, meat cleavers, gore, strobe lights, and a whole bunch of scares puts this maze at #1 on my list. I couldn't even do it twice it was so scary! 10/10

Slaughter House: Best house of the night. Lots of good scares and scenes. Ending was unique and freaky. Liked watching the chainsaw guy scare people at the end. 10/10

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I love to read! (Although don't get me wrong, I like to read if people don't like it too, as long as it gives reasons why they didn't like it and not just "it sucked". But there's nothing quite like reading positive reviews like these!) I know a lot of us in there feel that we were better last year than the first year, and Saturday we were feeling very good about how we did so we're on the right track to being even better this year.

I personally changed up my scare tactics on Saturday, and got some of my best scares ever in my four years of doing Haunt. I'll definitely be doing the same things from now on. I won't give anything away, but just know that in a certain room Sam is watching and waiting... waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike!

You love us! You really, really love us!

XGatorHead, going all Sally Field on you today.

Went last night and the ones we tried:

Carnevil: Fun maze. Not too scary, but lot of cool things to look at and entertaining. 8/10

Holiday Horror: Went when it was still light out and didn't realize there was no roof to any of the scenes, so wasn't scary, but had cool themes. I bet we'd like it more if it was dark when we went. 7/10

Urgent Scare: Disappointing. Long line could use some scareactors to mess with people. House itself was more gore than anything else. People who looked like burn victims were cool looking, but weren't really scaring people effectively. 5/10

Nightmare Alley: Disappointed as well. Posted my thoughts on it in a Nightmare Alley thread. Mostly bad location and not enough scares. 3/10

Can't agree more. I love watching that guy get some good scares.

• Like 1