As Disney World turns 40, its strategy shifts

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting.

Similarly, a centerpiece of Disney's $1 billion "Next Generation Experience" technology imitative is a new reservation system in which guests will be able to book ride times for popular attractions even before they leave home on their vacations.

My family has a tough enough time just scheduling our meals so they work out ok...the idea of this makes my head swim. :wacko:

All of the resort's roughly 60,000 employees, or "cast members," have been given tiny pocket cards with reminders such as, "I am courteous and respectful to all guests, including children."

That's really condescending, IMO.

I really don't like the idea of planning out your whole trip before you leave. I like deciding what I want to do when I get there.

I think their next-generation initiatives are interesting, but it'll be very telling to look back a few years after they're implemented to see if they're really used. On one hand, I agree that spontaneity is half the fun sometimes - to go to the park and ride what you will.

On the other hand, I have taken advantage of opportunities to build "all inclusive" day trips at other parks. At Universal, I get the Express Pass Plus and the all-you-can-eat dining plan, and sleep very soundly knowing that the next day I could eat whatever I wanted without financial strain and that I could get to the front of the ride lines.

Of course, depending on how Disney produces their new technology, it may prove to be the exact opposite of Universal's. Universal's offered freedom: ride when you want, eat when you want. Disney's thus far looks like it makes structure paramount - you may ride pre-selected attractions in a pre-selected order of half-hour windows, and eat at a given place for one meal, and a separate place for another, carrying around your bar-code-littered print off itinerary of what to do and when...

Again, if / when these technological improvements arrise, it will be interesting to see how well-used they are say, five or ten years after their inception. That's the real test.

We went to Disney in '08 and I did a bit of planning ahead of time. I signed up on touring plans, they have a crowd calendar that was a big help. We didn't plan down to what ride at what time but using the calendar we were able to hit the parks on their least busy days which helped out a lot. We stuck to the plan of going to the least busiest park and not waiting for more then 20 minutes to ride anything. Over the spa of the week we were there we rode everything we wanted to and still had time to enjoy the atmosphere in the parks. We decided to stray from the plan for one day and visit a different park and boy was that a mistake.

If going to Disney I would sugest the touring plans calendar to at least plan on going to the parks listed as least busy for a certain day, not sure if I'd want to actually have a specific time to be at a ride. The thing that gets me is the dining reservtions. I've been trying to get a reservation at T-Rex in January, right now there is nothing available because they are booked solid.

We're heading to Universal in January for a few days. Staying on site so the front of the line access is included, haven't decided on the all you can eat plan yet.

Yellowkorn I'm sure there are people that will use it. If you read on the Disney forums there are people that seemed obsessed with planning their trip to Disney, to me just doesn't seem like a vacation if your still on a time schedule.

I'm sure there are people that will use it. If you read on the Disney forums there are people that seemed obsessed with planning their trip to Disney, to me just doesn't seem like a vacation if your still on a time schedule.

I have to agree with this. Going to Disney World/land is not like going to King's Island or even a park like Dollywood for a day or two. Sure you may plan on hitting a certain ride first or know which showing of a particular show you would like to make...but that pales in comparsion to what I have seen most people do as they plan their Disney trips. I know that when my family (all relatively laid back, except for me lol) the planning was very very detailed. We knew which park we were going to on which days months in advance and literally had an hour by hour schedule for each day - something that my family never does for anything. The fact that some of the dining facilities require reservations months in advance speaks to the number of people that are just a tad bit anal about their planning when it comes to their Disney vacation. I think that these sorts of ideas will have great success.

It not condescending it is the Disney Service Basics, and if your are not performing ALL the Disney Service Basics, you are not doing your job and discipline will be handed out.

There's a difference between knowing what you're supposed to do and actually doing it, and I don't think an index card is going to help. Nearly anyone who is stuck working at a theme park knows that they're supposed to be polite, but that doesn't mean they're going to be.

I think you may have missed my bigger point. I mean honestly Mr. Ouimet seems like the kind of guy whom is out to make a handsome profit giving the customers what they want and doing it in a professional but extremely friendly way.. It would make no difference if he got an award for it or not as he feels the guest satisfaction is the ultimate reward. things are good now but will be great soon.