Tips for guests going to a haunted event.

Haunt_Mouse

Tips for guests coming to a Haunted Event.

1. All parents please read the warnings displayed about the age limitations. If you don't want your child scared then simply don't bring them. Remember you paid for them to get scared.

2. Making fun of actors or attempting to break their character is neither witty nor amusing.

3. Do not touch the actors. Do not hit the actors. Do not kick, push, bite, slap, scratch or otherwise assault actors. The same goes for mannequins, which could be an actor pretending to be fake. Some actors can touch back if you touch them. Pretty sure you will not enjoy being grabbed by a monster before being thrown out of the event.

4. Do not force your companions to stay if they are frightened or in a bad mood. This just ruins the whole night.

5. Asking an actor to not scare you will often not work. In fact, it will only encourage them to scare you more. If you are truly frightened, chicken out. Usually after the actors are satisfied with their scare they will find new prey.

6. Do not try to scare the actors. This will almost certainly not work, and you'll look like a prat. Plus its not your job to do so. Also do not try to scare other guests as this could cause problems that no one wants.

7. Searching for actors waiting to scare you ruins the scare for everyone else. Do not do this.

8. Stating that you aren't frightened indicates to the actors that you are. Remember there are different types of fear, and being bold in a situation is only a level of your fear. It is an actors job to notice the fear in someone and increase its effect.

9. If you see an actor peeking out from behind a curtain, or standing in the middle of a hallway, it is probably because they WANTED to be seen. Saying "ha, I can see you!" doesn't prove that you're clever. Only that you can state the obvious.

10. Unless they are unprofessional, actors are unlikely to break character, regardless of how many devastatingly witty one-liners you come up with. You might think it's hilarious to ask for an actor's phone number, or to comment on how hot they are. Trust me, it's not especially if your significant other is standing right next to you.

11. Don't bother trying to act tough, we know you're scared. And pretending you aren't scared or trying to act smart just wastes your money, not ours.

New! 12. If you are a normally jumpy person DO NOT handle any expensive equipment while going through a house or area with actors. (Ex. Cameras, Ipods, Video Recorders.) If an actor scares you or someone around you causing you to drop or throw the item and it breaks, it's your responsibility.

New! 13. If you are in a scare zone, which is an area where there is no set path or house, the worst thing you can do when scared is run. Not only can this be dangerous but almost all actors will chase you if you run. Haha it's the predatory instinct and I can't say that I haven't chased a few people in my career. This tip also can apply to houses as running through narrow halls and around corners is a safety hazard.

If anyone has anything to add please feel free to do so!

Additions

From PhantomTheater

-Put the cell phone away, too many guest/character run ins are due to people trying to text.

-Keep moving forward. Heading backwards or waiting can interfere with an actors bit. (More from Mouse: This mainly applies to houses. But make sure you are aware of your surroundings in a open scare zone.)

-No open beverages, or your 4.00 drink may not end up inside you

-Give the actor the right of way if they are walking against the current, It's their house and by not letting them move can mess up the show for people behind you. (More from Mouse: Also if there is an emergency this could cause some serious problems.)

-Most importantly NO SMOKING OR LIGHTERS, see Great Adventure's tragedy for more information.

While I have worked diffrent haunts little kids have been the one thing thats has annoyed me the most. Having them try and attempt to "make fun" of me only makes me want to go after them more. Noticed this alot at Haunt this year. Wish I would have been able to work but theres always next year to scare.

My friend and I went last night, and I was about ready to leave because of him. In every maze, he would say, "You're not scary dude!" or get up close to their face and act like he was scarier than them. While he thought it was funny, it really isn't. It makes you look like a fool. Actually, some older kids did make fun of him for doing so. I know you guys don't care, but I had to vent somehwere...

• Like 1

I've got a pretty big irritation with people either ignoring the warnings for kids or bringing their kids with them into Haunts.

Friday, I got to the park a few minutes before 7. While waiting in line for the metal detector at a few minutes past 7, I saw a few young kids crying as they walked the opposite direction with their angry looking parent. I felt bad for the kids, but it's facepalm-worthy to think that the parent(s) would not do even a little research to see that this is not an event for preschool-age kids. Just... argh.

Similarly, I ended up in a group for Tombstone Terror-tory with--you guessed it--parents with two preschool-age kids. The kids weren't crying, but they clearly were not enjoying themselves as the scareactors specifically targeted them. Their mom's reaction? Keep yanking on them like they're being silly. I don't have an issue with the scareactors, as they were just doing their jobs, but come on. If you got on the train by accident, thinking that it was just a train ride despite the multiple warnings, fine. Ask the workers if you can take the train the whole way around. DO NOT put your kids through something they obviously aren't enjoying at an event that is clearly not meant for them. It isn't toughening them up, it's scaring them.

And don't even get me started on the time I followed a stroller through Cemetery Drive.

I truly dislike Haunt Badasses. To be honest, I either let them meander on and leave a break in the group in the maze if they are in front of me, or if they are behind me, I try to skittle ahead and lose them. There's what? 10-20 people going through a maze, and a single show off like that can put a damper on things for the rest of us.

Jdawg, we had one of those guys with us last year. We left him eating spaghetti in the midway, and didn't return for him. Good thing he drove himself.

Screamingnight, I do run away sometimes, to be honest. Hopefully I'll be heard through the fog before I mash into someone. I'll keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Had an incident in Wolf Pack Saturday where a father dragged his three-year-old son in who was quite literally scared to death. One of the actors took his glove off to show he wasn't real and managed to get a high-five from the kid, but that memory quickly faded when another actor popped out not two seconds later. The kid kept trying to run away but the father had him by the hood of his coat so he couldn't leave and kept slowing our group down. It kind of made things a bit worse when almost all of the talent in the last third went for the front of the group, namely the father and son. Every three seconds, a wolf would pop out in front of the son only making him scream and cry that much more. I'm sorry, but if your kid is that scared in a haunted house, then by all means, USE THE EMERGENCY EXIT AND GET HIM OUT OF THERE.

But on a more lighthearted note, I had a random girl ask to hold her hand when we were about to go through Holiday Horror because she was that scared. Every time she got scared she squeezed my hand, and by the end, I could barely feel it. It was weird because it was a group of, like, six girls, and I was by myself as my group went over to Festhaus for HPB.

^ Hah, I had a lady and her nephew follow us through Ugent Scare and I felt someone grab my shirt and the lady was like "Is it okay if my nephew holds onto you? He's pretty scared and he thinks you'll keep him safe." I was like, "Sure."

So through the whole thing he was clutched to me. I don't think he opened his eyes once. Of course, everyone was going after him so I'm sure he's traumatized, but he made it.

A few additions to the list.

-Put the cell phone away, too many guest character run ins due to people trying to text.

-Keep moving foward, heading backwards or waiting can interfere with an actors bit.

-No open beverages, or your 4.00 drink maynot end up inside you

-Give the actor the right of way if they are walking against the current, It's there house and by not letting by can mess up the show for people behind you

-Most importantly NO SMOKING OR LIGHTERS, see Great Adventure's tragedy for more information.

That happened with me and a couple friends. Some kid was acting all tough and turned around to yell at an actor. Then another one came up from behind him and scared the crap out of him. It was the funniest thing of the night.

• Like 1

thats what happens in my area , if someone is acting "bad" then usually theres a back-up person to scare them , remember we have to be prepared for anything . I totally agree with everything above. Those few people that we experience the trouble with do make the night long so please remember : dont bring your young children,its not for them, please dont be disrespectful-we are only doing our jobs, if you are not scared theres no need to tell us that you are not- trust me we will know, if you do get scared dont be mad or punch us- once again we are only doing our job and YOU came. As a side note there were alot of younger crowds coming through who were making fun of everything but kept watching there backs ,clearly these types are afraid but have to act cool to make themselves feel better,awww precious.

As a Haunt Actor working Tombstone, I couldn't agree more with all that has been said. It ruins the attraction for others when all you do is point behind a crate and yell "someone is behind here" to everyone behind you. Out of the 50 people each night who try to scare me, I have been scared exactly 0 times...not to mention that if you know I'm going to jump out at you, you jumping blindly at me will likely end with your foot stomped on or you laying on your back due to accidental collision.

But when an idiot makes an announcement to the rest of the trail that I'm behind a crate, I just stand still, wait for the idiot to pass and by that point the rest of the group often thinks the idiot is wrong and then let their guard down, resulting in a greater scare for the rest of the group. Also I have targeted these idiots by waiting until they pass and following them until they turn around to announce the next monster then I'm right behind them and in their face ready to scream at them. One time I did this the guy fell to the ground and everyone behind him clapped and laughed at him on the ground (I work near the end and I assume he did this for the entire trail, ruining most of the attraction for everyone behind him). Needless to say he let out a profanity laced tirade at me which I believe he thought would get his man card back (it didn't, its still on the ground where he fell lol).

One last thing, running ahead 15 ft of your group and telling me to scare someone, will not result in that person getting scared as 3 seconds after you start talking to me, that person can now see you talking to me. You would of been better off taking your chances that I might happen to target them in the group.

While I have worked diffrent haunts little kids have been the one thing thats has annoyed me the most. Having them try and attempt to "make fun" of me only makes me want to go after them more. Noticed this alot at Haunt this year. Wish I would have been able to work but theres always next year to scare.

Back when I use to do the Haunted Trail, this was my number one pet peeve as well. I usually used the energy from me getting really annoyed, turned it around, and screamed in there face. Please note: I was allowed to do this, and it kept to my character(insane victim). It was more so, "Get out of here" screaming rather than "You think your smart?" screaming. There is a difference. Keep it in mind! :)

HTCO, handin' out tips like coupons.

All I have to say is if someone can point out where you are then you're obviously not very well hidden. And this year I've seen a lot of scare actors getting right up in peoples face literally inches away from their face. And sometimes it's just a natural reaction to push or shove that person out of the way. Trust me I've worked in several Haunted Attractions including Halloween Horror Nights. And the best way to deal with these people is by ignoring them. I saw too many roamers going back to talk crap to people after a guest made a comment to them. Just leave it be and your night will be so much easier.

That's what I do. I ignore them and let them pass right on through. Except for when I haven't emerged yet, and I can tell someone's acting tough... they have then made themselves my target when I do pop out, and 99 times out of 100 they jump just as much or even more than the rest of their group. :D Let's just say that Sam has an excellent hiding spot this year...

That's what I do. I ignore them and let them pass right on through. Except for when I haven't emerged yet, and I can tell someone's acting tough... they have then made themselves my target when I do pop out, and 99 times out of 100 they jump just as much or even more than the rest of their group. :D Let's just say that Sam has an excellent hiding spot this year...

Haha I came through Saturday night with Dustin and Ryan and since we already knew where you were we sat back and watched the people in front of us and you scared the crap out of them. I couldn't stop laughing the rest of the way through the haunt.

How about some tips on what haunts to hit up first this year? This thread seems to be more about proper etiquette than actual tips.

Here is a tip I will add. If you want to do most of the haunts in one night go on a Friday not a Saturday. Also if you want walk on rides go on Sunday.

This is my 6th year with Haunt and I love every minute of it. Some of the rules I go by working Haunt are a bit different then what has been mentioned.

1) When you come into my room you are part of the show. If you see me creeping in a corner this is great because I am at that point using you as a block to get the peeps behind you.

2) If it pops into your mind to say I have heard it before. So don’t cry when you get insulted.

3) I’m cool with cell phones. What a better distraction for a scare? If you walk into a wall because your texting don’t worry I will laugh at you. If you are talking on your cell, which is even better because I love talking to new people so give it to me to talk to your friends and family.

4) This is completely up to the individual actor, so I am only speaking for me. I recommend you to not bring your kids in. I try to do my best to leave the kids be or if they are really scare try to make them feel better. Guess this is the father side of me coming out. However if you are not carrying your child I will come after you 3 times as hard for torturing your child. If your child can not handle it do not be afraid to as an actor for the nearest exit. Most times you are never more then 15 second from being able to be out of the house. DO NOT get mad or hit the actors that scare your kid. In fact the actors and other patrons in line should be allowed to smack you in the back of the head.

5) I have no problem laughing at stupid. The teens that come in big and bad and then turn into a wall after saying something stupid is pretty freaking funny. If you take off running and fall down when you hit the people in front of you, I like to call bowling for cry babies.

6) Hey tough guys, this is for you. If you get mad and feel the need to fight someone that scared your girl friend. Remember this; WE KNOW THE HOUSE AND ENVIROMENT BETTER THEN YOU. Plus there is a lot more of us then there are of you. I know my house mates will not take kindly to someone attacking their own.

7) I like the people that are man or woman enough to admit they jumped when I scare them. We all see the people that obviously don’t jump very often. When I get “hey where did you come from" or "hey that was a good one", those are the scares that make my night.

This is my 6th year with Haunt and I love every minute of it. Some of the rules I go by working Haunt are a bit different then what has been mentioned.

7) I like the people that are man or woman enough to admit they jumped when I scare them. We all see the people that obviously don’t jump very often. When I get “hey where did you come from" or "hey that was a good one", those are the scares that make my night.

And people laugh after they get scared. Some of my best moments at the Haunt are monsters that add to the humor of it, or crack something. Once while escaping, I whined that I shouldn't have worn my heavy steel toed workboots, I lost it when the scaractor, in a ghostly voice said "That was very styooooopid of yooooo."

I was planning on going this Friday Night, but the rainy weather dampens the fog, and the cold rain is needles on your face on the rides, so right now I'm a bit sour. I'm hoping the monsters are still go all out when I get there. I'm debating if it would be worth it to go on the 14th, as I have a paying guest going with us.

• 2 weeks later...