Haunt - Where to start?

zooteacher05

Hey guys,

I've been following this site for a while, but only just signed up. I will be heading to the haunt this saturday, the 15th, with a group of friends and I have heard the horror stories (no pun intended) about how long the wait times can be on Saturday. I know that the Fright Passes are available, but there will be 7 of us and it just isn't realistic for us all to buy the passes. Therefore, here comes my question...

Is there a "best" place to start for the haunts crowdwise? For example, I went last year and did the Action Zone haunts first and we seemed to simply follow a huge migration clockwise around the park. When we went back to AZ later in the night, everything was walk-on. Is there a less crowded area to begin with?

Also, on a side note, are the indoor haunts that open on Saturdays at 5 as good as later in the night, or do they only have a very limited number of scaracters in them?

Thanks so much guys and I can't wait to join in the discussion!

Guest TombraiderTy

With the size of your group, both Fast Lane and Fright Lane would only be $30 per a person each and (in my opinion) would both be well worth it. Otherwise, expect to accomplish very little and wait very much. Fright Lane lanyards can be ordered HERE, Fast Lane wristbands can be ordered HERE.

If you choose not to use Fright/Fast Lane, my advice would be:

• If your whole group has Gold/Platinum passes, take advantage of the hour ERT at Beast and Diamondback
  • Even if you don't do ERT, arrive at the park before opening and try to do as many major rides as quickly as possible. This is especially true with lower capacity attractions like Invertigo, Backlot Stunt Coaster and Firehawk.
  • Eat lunch and dinner at irregular times to avoid long waits at the food stands
  • Visit more minor attractions in the afternoon while the major attractions have longer waits
  • When certain Haunt attractions open at 5pm, do them quickly and avoid the major crowds later in the day
  • Ride waits are (typically) not as long during Haunt as they are during the day. There are exceptions, but Haunt may be a good time to do anything you missed earlier
  • The park empties out tremendously within the last hour of operation. After 12:30am, many rides and houses have little to no wait - take advantage of this

Beyond that, simply have a good time and what-not :)

• Like 1

I have noticed that the line for Massacre Manor, and Carnevil, both move very slowly. I would do those first. As a bonus they are both completely dark inside even if it's light out, so you can hit them at 5PM when they open.

The same cannot be said for Slaughterhouse and Wolf Pack. Don't do these till it's dark.

Club Blood lines seem to always move quickly, but I have found the experience varies more here than in any of the other houses.

So if I had to put them in order, starting at 5PM:

Carnevil

Massacre Manor

Urgent Scare

Club Blood

(then when dark...)

Wolf Pack

Cuthroat Cove

Slaughterhouse

Tombstone

Cornstalkers

etc

You are going to have to wait for Tombstone no matter when you go, so I'd say as long as it's dark it really doesn't matter when you do it. I did go through it right at closing last week though, and it was pretty terrible. Almost nobody left working. That could happen with any of them near closing, so bear that in mind.

I would agree with all of the above. The Fright Lane passes really are awesome and are worth it if you can afford it. However, I do not think it will be quite as busy this Saturday. Hard to say, but it won't be a near record breaking day like last week.

Anything in Action Zone will not have as long of a line. Slaughterhouse moves really well, Wolfpack didn't seem too bad last week and the same goes for Club Blood. These can kind of be hit at will, other than that I'd probably try and hit some of the stuff right at 5 and try and hit Tombstone right at dark when it opens.

Drumroll....a fact that I am both ashamed to admit....and still VERY bitter about...I broke down and purchased the FRIGHT Lane passes while I was there on Saturday.

Do I feel like I got my money's worth at $30.00 each, possibly.

Do I feel like it made our Saturday night at the park at least enjoyable since it was SO crowded, yes.

Did I feel sleazy using them, yes.

I would still NEVER EVER buy a Fast Lane pass...I would just schedule our trip on a less busy day....which is not really possible during The Haunt. (My family always does the whole 3 day weekend to make it worth our drive.)

If anyone at the park reads this they may be laughing to themselves that they "broke me"...and they did...but I hope they also keep in mind that they may have gained some more money from me...but in the process they also lost some of the goodwill that I have towards the park.

I was there Saturday night, and even with the big crowds, the Haunt lines moved kinda quickly. We never really waited more than 20 minutes for any of them.

Before we started using our Fright Lane pass we waited at least 30 minutes for Cornstalkers...plus Tombstone Territory was backed up WAY past The Crypt so that it was almost at The Beast's entrance. :mellow:

I would still NEVER EVER buy a Fast Lane pass...I would just schedule our trip on a less busy day....which is not really possible during The Haunt. (My family always does the whole 3 day weekend to make it worth our drive.)

That's the whole point of the Fast Lane... Not everyone can simply schedule a trip on a less busy day. Families with parents who work during the week can't simply coordinate a day off to go spend money at the park, and wouldn't get their moneys worth out of season passes. So they visit one time each year. If that one visit falls on a Saturday, then they may choose to pay an extra $80 - $100, one-time expenditure, to make the most of their day just like you did.

Don't get me wrong, the park is out to make money first and foremost. But as you witnessed, Fast Lane and Fright Lane are also valuable commodities for people with disposable income who want to make the most of their limited time at the park. Somehow we've vilified it to the extent that it feels like a dirty, oligarchical tool used only to raise certain people above others, but it's not. It is a service - a commodity - offered to improve the daily experience for those who wish to spend the extra money. Someone with x amount of money goes to Kings Island for a getaway, someone with y amount goes to Disneyland. If you have the extra money, you get the extra service. It's not a caliber thing, or a class war. It's just a different experience for those who desire it, as you have witnessed.

Because it's our "home park," I think we view things a lot differently. I would imagine that many people who are "fundamentally against Fast Lane" would happily take advantage of Universal Express or Quick Queue passes if they had only one day at Islands of Adventure or Busch Gardens Tampa, faced with hour long lines for major rides.

• Like 2

^ Very well said. I completely agree. While I am not an avid supporter of the system, it was bound to happen at some point. With as popular of a park as KI is, there had to be some sort of system to allow people who are coming for just a day (especially on weekends) to skip the lines. They did offer the VIP tours before as well, didn't hear many complaints about that.

It's OK standbyme, I have respected many of your points made here and I don't think you sold out or went too far over to the dark side. :P

Oh don't patronize me...believe me, I know I crossed over to dark side...I just didn't want to be posting on here without disclosing that fact...now where was I...oh yeah, forgive me father for I have sinned, I was weak...

I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about it. I was there Saturday Night and it was packed! I didn't know my niece was there, too, and she paid thirty dollars admission to ride two rides. She waited in line for two hours for Firehawk, I think.

I'm going with her next Friday. She doesn't like Haunts, but maybe she can have more rides.

Last Saturday is what those passes were made for.

Went again, niece in tow, to get more rides for her buck. She's not a Haunt person, so I just went to the ones I missed last time. US as usual, is good, but I was surprised by Holiday Horror. It's not bad at all, it's really unique in it's set up, and not that short at all.

We were able to grab ALL the rides, and she relented to a few Haunts, and had a good time.

Lots of roaming actors tonight.