Move Crypt outside?

bengalsguy23

The current Gisnt TopSpin couldn't even handle mist and splashing water. It was not designed for outdoor use. The building itself was designed for its current use.

Why wouldn't it handle the outside elements? Kings Dominion has a Giant TopSpin outdoors. How would it differ?

I would love to see The Crypt reprogrammed and themed just like the one at KD. I rode it several time and really enjoyed it.

Kings Dominion has a regular TopSpin. Kings Island has the only Giant TopSpin in the world. It is not weatherproof. In fact, as I noted, even the mist and water in the building were adversely affecting the ride.

Giant TopSpins are not capable of the same acrobatics as their smaller brethren. Kings Island's was significantly tamed, as it was literally tearing itself apart. It also had many of its seats removed.

Giant TopSpins are not capable of the same acrobatics as their smaller brethren.

Which, on a side note, is actually a semi-proven fact. Between 2008 and mid-2009, ours ran a program moderately similar to KD's Crypt. Besides being unpleasantly forceful for some, it kept the ride shut down about as much as it was open.

As far as the seats go: if the limitations of the Giant Top Spin design could be ignored, I really wish the ride's third row would make a return. Maybe nostalgia's wearing off for me, but it seems like the ride's line has been crawling this year. The extra capacity would be nice. (Of course, this could just as easily be attributed to unenthusiastic ride ops or me just not having paid attention before now, but still.)

Kings Dominion has a regular TopSpin. Kings Island has the only Giant TopSpin in the world. It is not weatherproof. In fact, as I noted, even the mist and water in the building were adversely affecting the ride.

Giant TopSpins are not capable of the same acrobatics as their smaller brethren. Kings Island's was significantly tamed, as it was literally tearing itself apart. It also had many of its seats removed.

So, KI's is also a Huss TopSpin? KD's a Huss model also?? If so, why would they build one "Giant" and not be able to do as much maneuvers as the regular TopSpin? I am not sure why this would even be attempted?

I am not trying to argue or disagree, just curious. I am to assume it was and is a prototype, that was not repeated again.

One word: capacity.

Huss reportedly still offers Giant TopSpins. There have apparently been no takers.

The Giant Frisbees have also required quite a bit of unexpected maintenance.

Capacity? Well, the line for The Crypt at Kings Dominion did not have much of a line, the few times that I visited. So, I do not see a reason to build a larger (not as thrilling) TopSpin. for capacity reasons. That being said, the few times I visited, we basically walked onto The Crypt at Kings Dominion.

I visited the second week of June on a weekday.

(Hmm, it's been a while since I launched into a Crypt spiel. :lol: )

^^^ Yep, both are HUSS rides. KD's model is a Suspended Top Spin, but KI's is a Giant Top Spin. Why build a Giant Top Spin, you ask? Like Terp said, HUSS pushes the capacity aspect. A GTS carries 56 riders per cycle, where an STS only holds 38.

But if you're asking specifically why KI built a GTS, it's because its primary purpose was essentially to carry riders from "scene" to "scene" for Tomb Raider: The Ride, only occasionally doing Top Spin-ish things like flips. The GTS occupies more space, which allowed for KI to separate the room the ride is in into different parts--the goddess, the icicles (since removed), and the lava. Sure, the same effect could be done with an STS, and the ride could have been more thrilling by incorporating more flips. However, Tomb Raider's thrill relied primarily on its theme--which, in turn, seems to be why Cedar Fair's having as many issues as they've had with balancing thrill vs. maintenance. They've tried to make the ride more thrilling to make up for the lack of theming, which resulted in the ride tearing itself apart. In a nutshell, that's how the ride got to where it is today: ironically short on both thrills and theme.

I'm not saying this is why (then) PKI went for a Giant Top Spin; I'm just pointing out possibilities.

EDIT: As far as your KD visit goes, I've heard weekdays in May and June are notoriously dead. I've only been there once myself, so I don't know how true this is.

(Hmm, it's been a while since I launched into a Crypt spiel. :lol: )

^^^ Yep, both are HUSS rides. KD's model is a Suspended Top Spin, but KI's is a Giant Top Spin. Why build a Giant Top Spin, you ask? Like Terp said, HUSS pushes the capacity aspect. A GTS carries 56 riders per cycle, where an STS only holds 38.

But if you're asking specifically why KI built a GTS, it's because its primary purpose was essentially to carry riders from "scene" to "scene" for Tomb Raider: The Ride, only occasionally doing Top Spin-ish things like flips. The GTS occupies more space, which allowed for KI to separate the room the ride is in into different parts--the goddess, the icicles (since removed), and the lava. Sure, the same effect could be done with an STS, and the ride could have been more thrilling by incorporating more flips. However, Tomb Raider's thrill relied primarily on its theme--which, in turn, seems to be why Cedar Fair's having as many issues as they've had with balancing thrill vs. maintenance. They've tried to make the ride more thrilling to make up for the lack of theming, which resulted in the ride tearing itself apart. In a nutshell, that's how the ride got to where it is today: ironically short on both thrills and theme.

I'm not saying this is why (then) PKI went for a Giant Top Spin; I'm just pointing out possibilities.

EDIT: As far as your KD visit goes, I've heard weekdays in May and June are notoriously dead. I've only been there once myself, so I don't know how true this is.

This will be my last post on the Crypt. I would ride KD's version over the "slow loading" boring ride that occupies space at Kings Island.

Yeah moving the Crypt putside would make it even worse just image it in total daylight. It would totally ruin the experience of the ride. Its a indoor ride but its not the greatest but one you do if the lines short