What Did YOU Think Of The 2011 Season?

mccarthysnerd

2011 was a good year overall...took time yesterday to take everything in.

My observation of what needs serious attention? The Racer. Coming up on the 40 year mark next year, the old girl is in serious need of some rehab and paint. Looking very rough. I would assume that it will get it.

That, and finding a way to hide that large stack of kindling behind Adventure Express...

WindSeeker was a good addition. I wasn't too crazy about Fast Lane, nor about Son of Beast still sitting there. I never broke down and did Dinosaurs Alive due to the upcharge. The rides ran pretty good this year, and I wasn't upset with any excessive downtime. Almost gave it a 3, but it was a great year for Haunt, so I went with 4 stars.

2011. Let's see here. Well, WindSeeker is boring. The Starflyers by Funtime are much more entertaining. Fastlane was long overdue but a great idea. Dinosaurs Alive comes off as a lame money grab and as for 2012, if you were expecting something other than waterpark improvements, you're a fool.

• Like 1

All in All, Me and the Family had a Good Year at Kings Island. WindSeeker was a nice addition to Coney Mall and Just Coney in general looks much nicer with the Pavers and all. Dinosaurs Alive was a Waste IMO and Fast Lane, Well, I'll just leave that alone. I dont wanna have to raise my blood pressure Meds again. :) Actually kinda looking forward to Soak City next year. And Still........Still.........Still........Waiting to see whats going to happen with that big pile of wood over in Action Zone that According to park maps, dosent exist.

I voted one star. But it isn't KI's fault. My opinion of the park itself in 2011? 5 star completely. However, the season itself was very hard for me, due to the loss of my best friend and KI partner. The season was the worst I have ever had, and hopefully ever will. But I loved WindSeeker and DA. I loved the brick pavers. Kings Island did great things this year. I only wish WindSeeker could have opened a few weeks earlier so he could have ridden it. Oh well. That's all over now, and it's time to move on. I don't think it'll ever be the same for me, but here's hoping I can make new memories with new friends for the 2012 season. Just don't mistake me for on of the complainers. As I've said, management made stellar additions this year, I just wish that I had been more able to enjoy them.

I have mixed emotions about 2011. The year started out promising...the new pavers in Coney Mall are excellent. (I still think that the addition of these to the park may come to be known as the best thing ever CF ever did for the park.)

WindSeeker, for me was a slight dissapointment...it is a GREAT addition to the park's skyline...but all in all it isn't much of a "must do" ride...no one in my family ever even rode it more than twice.

Dinosaurs Alive was a nice addition...the kids seem to love it, and that's what matters in the end. But I am guessing that the attendance isn't what the park was hoping for...hence the EMBARRASSING "Up the numbers/grab a few more bucks" Halloween version. What kind of a move was it for the park to move trick-or-treating and the pumpkin decorating into a paid attraction?! If I don't miss my guess, the park already pays little or no money for the candy given out.. (It seems like it would be about a trade off for the advertising the candy companies get.)

Now...if someone is going to say "Well, it just got too crowded for the park to do it."...I say, well why add bring a friend day every Sunday in October if the crowds are already too bad!

There used to be a time when a company would "give back" to it's customers at some point in the year as a sort of thank you/good will gesture to it's customers...the trick-or-treating used to fall in that catagory for me.

The Halloween Haunt park decorations were nice this year...I especially liked the way that the (former) International Restaurant was decorated with all of the orange & green leaves!

(I will say that the some of the Coney Mall playground figures should have been covered during the daytime though.)

I will save my (usual) long rant and simply say that the whole Fast Lane situation will be something that taints my opinion of the park for years to come. :(

• Like 2

Well for me this was one of my most remembered seasons I have had in a while. Opening Day was a little bit rough due to the rides going down and it being crowded with no WindSeeker, but non the less it was a good day. WindSeeker opened w/ Dino's Alive so right there is 2 attractions that were added to the park, take em as you can get them. I also shared so many memories with my friends and even my family this year. Some of my most fond memories include trips to Kings Island this summer. From the blazing hot June/July days, to the cold, 38 degree nights at Haunt. Also got the last ride of the year on The Beast, and the first one of the year on Flight of Fear. It was a great season and I look forward to seeing everyone in Spring 2012! Thank you again Kings Island.

This is the first year in a long time the family and I made 0 trips to KI. Some varying factors behind this. We had many different vacations planned this year, Disney World, Cruise to the Bahamas, Numerous trips to Dollywood (seasson pass holders) and lots of staycations (a new pool will do that). Honestly for the price KI offered very little to draw us as a family, I know worlds best childrens area and such, but we have much more fun as a family at Dollywood and that is a really fun quick weekend trip.

This seasson I have struggled with my love for KI, yes it is one of my favorite parks, but after so many visits over the years I am slightly burned out I think. With the state of some rides not opperating or even running as a shadow of their former self, blah food at high prices, and just ok shows there is not much that draws my family in. No longer do I go to parks just to ride rides or up my coaster count, but we go for the experience, atmosphere and the overall attraction. Also has anyone else noticed the park guest quality index has changed? I think that is why we have continued to visit Disney, Dollywood, and Busch parks.

After living 20 minutes away for 7 years and trips almosts every weekend, as a family we needed a break. I still love KI and I am sure we will revisit next year or the year after, but for now there are other memories to make.

• Like 2

Also has anyone else noticed the park guest quality index has changed?

If you mean that a lot more guests have left their manners at home, then yes I have noticed this more and more over the last couple of years. I have heard the "F Bomb" more and more. The worst example was this summer while standing at the water cannons at White Water Canyon a guest in the raft gave the employee in the shack the finger and yelled "F*ck You!" It really ruins the family mood when you have to explain the whole "Yes, that's a bad word...no they shouldn't have said it..." to your little ones.

I don't really know the answer to this problem...I wish I did.