The Crypt: Gone for 2012!

TombRaiderFTW

We've all kinda suspected it, but Screamscape is now reporting:

(10/31/11) I’m not sure how legit this rumor is, so please take it with a grain of salt until I’ve gotten a better lock on the story. That said... I’ve heard an early rumor claiming that The Crypt (formerly: Tomb Raider) may be on the way out of Kings Island for good. Not sure if they are thinking of moving it to another park, or if there is something wrong with it. Anyone else know more?

Thoughts? (I'm currently trying to restrain my own. Mainly because they sound like

.)

On that note the lava was not turned on yesterday... Related?

Uh-Oh...it's Screamscape rumor time! :wacko:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

Screamscape, the amusement park rumor site, is reporting that they have heard a rumor that 2011 was The Crypt's final season. While Screamscape isn't the most reliable source in the world, this rumor could be true- The Crypt hasn't exactly been met with a warm reception in recent years, and a lot of people on KIC claim it to be boring and waste of space.

While this is JUST A RUMOR, I felt this info should be passed along. Take it with a grain of salt (actually, a grain may not be enough, take this with a SPOON), I'm not saying The Crypt will or will not be here when KI opens again for 2012...but, if it doesn't stay, I won't exactly cry or change plans to visit the park, etc etc.

What do you think? Should KI keep The Crypt and continue to attempt to make it "not boring" (Be aware and take notes- this ride was never built to do numerous flips and does not like fog and water, and Cedar Fair isn't Disney when it comes to theming their rides) or just get rid of the darn thing, replacing it?

I think The Crypt would not be gone next season. Through the year, it seemed they were trying to make it suck less than it does. I think the park could do much more with the ride and possibly make it exciting. We all know Cedar Fair isn't the best with themeing, but I believe if they truly tried, The Crypt could be a decent ride. While the current ride cycle does keep the ride from being down half the time, I believe they could do a little bit more with the ride to make it thrilling.

Uh-Oh...it's Screamscape rumor time! :wacko:

http://www.screamsca...ings_island.htm

Screamscape, the amusement park rumor site, is reporting that they have heard a rumor that 2011 was The Crypt's final season. While Screamscape isn't the most reliable source in the world, this rumor could be true- The Crypt hasn't exactly been met with a warm reception in recent years, and a lot of people on KIC claim it to be boring and waste of space.

While this is JUST A RUMOR, I felt this info should be passed along. Take it with a grain of salt (actually, a grain may not be enough, take this with a SPOON), I'm not saying The Crypt will or will not be here when KI opens again for 2012...but, if it doesn't stay, I won't exactly cry or change plans to visit the park, etc etc.

What do you think? Should KI keep The Crypt and continue to attempt to make it "not boring" (Be aware and take notes- this ride was never built to do numerous flips and does not like fog and water, and Cedar Fair isn't Disney when it comes to theming their rides) or just get rid of the darn thing, replacing it?

Take notes, OK. It was not meant to do numerous flips and does not like fog and water. So, what was it meant to do? Maybe a building for a new restaurant. The ride was reduced in size,(row of seats removed) I think, maybe this ride never lived up to expectations? Who knows??

It lived up to expectations and then some when it was TR:TR. Which was a theatrical (Sp?) ride experience. Once the themeing was taken out they tried to make it exciting again by making it do flips and such. Then they realized....oh well thats tearing the ride appart peive by peice and is now in it's current state. Of course Yellowkorn could give you a much better and more in depth version of what I just said....

• Like 1

Now I know that we all know how well Cedar Fair does at themeing, but we also have to keep in mind that come January we will basically have a brand new leadership team for CF. A lot of that team has had background in other theme parks like Disney and Paramount.(back when they cared a tiny more) Mr. Ouimet has had a lot to do with Disney and he could be the one person that changes the game. He could believe that theme has a lot to do with a park like Kings Island, but who knows only time will really tell. The Crypt could really be saved if they took a little more time themeing it and trying to work out a longer ride program. I'm not talking about one that does ten flips or anything. Heck I would be happy for one that just does four or so. It's not really the ride that sucks; it's the quality of that ride we are given and the ride experience given with it.

If they're removing The Crypt (and the TR:TR fanboy in me still hopes they don't), I really hope something fitting the western theme Rivertown's getting would go there. Given Cedar Fair's recent exploits in theming, the closest theme we'd get would be Dale Earnhardt or an animal. Woo.

Still, I'd really like it if KI had (a) 300' S&S launch tower(s). Especially if they used the existing ride chamber as the loading station. That'd be cool. Or if the park added a path back into the woods beyond Diamondback's turnaround and put pretty much any kind of terrain coaster back there, as long as it's not so big that it ruins Beast's or Diamondback's atmospheres.

I sincerely hope they don't remove the Crypt. Although it is nothing like it was when it was Tomb Raider, it is still one of my favorite attractions. Cedar Fair is horrible at theming - or cheap is a better word, but that doesn't mean it should go.

• Like 1

If they're removing The Crypt (and the TR:TR fanboy in me still hopes they don't), I really hope something fitting the western theme Rivertown's getting would go there. Given Cedar Fair's recent exploits in theming, the closest theme we'd get would be Dale Earnhardt or an animal. Woo.

Still, I'd really like it if KI had (a) 300' S&S launch tower(s). Especially if they used the existing ride chamber as the loading station. That'd be cool. Or if the park added a path back into the woods beyond Diamondback's turnaround and put pretty much any kind of terrain coaster back there, as long as it's not so big that it ruins Beast's or Diamondback's atmospheres.

Don't see a path going back beyond the Hammerhead of Diamondback....that area pretty much drops off very steep. I about fell off of it when collecting lost and found items last year.

If this proves true, I'll be sad so many great memories of riding and even operating.