The Crypt: Gone for 2012!

TombRaiderFTW

I could easily see Crypt living a few years as a haunt with the ride removed but the queue still in place.

That's also what i've thought would be The Crypt's fate for the last couple of years.

I still think anything that goes there likely will be an upcharge.

So...chances are we're all 3 right! ;)

Diamondback's atmostphere? Do you mean the grassy valley with a couple of meticulously placed placed maintenance roads?

Touche, but you've got to admit that, around the hammerhead, it does feel a bit like you're off in the woods. It's not immersive by any means, but I think it's kinda cool, anyway.

Don't see a path going back beyond the Hammerhead of Diamondback....that area pretty much drops off very steep. I about fell off of it when collecting lost and found items last year.

Yeah, I noticed that when I walked the construction area in 2008. If they did it, I mean they could do a supported wooden boardwalk-type of path. (Sort of like a pier, only not over water... The comparison that comes to mind is the path to the Thanksgiving section at Holiday World, only made out of wood instead of the hard plastic-ish boards and surrounded by trees.)

• Like 1

If The Crypt is on it's way out then personally I would love to see a Screaming Swing that would match up to or even outsize Skyhwak at CP. Those things do not take up quite that much room and give a great ride experience. However, everyone who is saying an upcharge attraction will probably be right.

• Like 1

If The Crypt is on it's way out then personally I would love to see a Screaming Swing that would match up to or even outsize Skyhwak at CP. Those things do not take up quite that much room and give a great ride experience. However, everyone who is saying an upcharge attraction will probably be right.

I would really want a clone of Dollywood's Barnstormer, scenic-wise:

DSC01024.jpg

Have lunch with a ride operator, just an additional ten dollars!

How about lunch with Don Helbig for twenty dollars?

Better yet, lunch with Dick Kinzel for fifty bucks! Or would that be a thousand nickels?

If it's gone next year, I wouldn't be surprised. A unique ride, for certain, and thrilling in a different sense than most of us are used to. I enjoyed every ride on it if only for the chance to again see the goddess and volcano from what was once the best-themed ride in all of Ohio, if not at any seasonal amusement park. That ship has sailed, and I recognize that newcomers can't enjoy the ride that is with the same impression of the ride that was, and thus, as the memories fade, so does my care for it.

And inundated with dinosaurs and swings, I won't be around the park much next year, if at all - as luck would have it, my Disneyland Annual Pass cost (I kid you knott) $165.00 to the cent. That pass also affords me hotel discounts, plus you can go from park-to-park without being accused of falsifying your identity, or worse. And there's a flat 10% discounts on all food and merchandise purchases - a far better deal than five buffets when you pay for four and show your validated Subway coupon from purchasing a refillable sipper, or some such nonsense...

I have always had an affinity for ancient-adventure themed attractions, but even from day one, Tomb Raider: The Ride has come in second after Indiana Jones Adventure. Now, I have access to a twenty minute, heavily-themed, totally immersive, dark-ride adventure until November 2012, and that is something Kings Island does not offer now, and probably will never offer again. I need a break from the Cedar Fair nonsense. I will certainly return to the parks once in a while, and as of now, would expect to be become a "regular" again in a few years, once I can see some visible changes from the top. As for right now, I'm burnt out. Kings Island and Cedar Fair are not offering much to me that I percieve as new, so I will politely take my business elsewhere until I can crave their... unique style of park operation again. I won't renew my Platinum Pass to see still more dinosaurs, and still more WindSeekers. I just can't. And five years down the road, I imagine Kings Island will be a very different park (for better or worse), and at that point I'll certainly re-examine it and do what I feel is right.

GYK, who doesn't know near as much about that ride as he purports to most of the time, but who still knows that A, B, C, and even D are at play here, all in different orders, all causing and not causing each other, and basically making a big mess of a situation.

Experiences would vary with the ride operator.

Some ride operators (if I still worked there) would be paying some guests an additional ten dollars not to have lunch with them!

How about lunch with Don Helbig for twenty dollars?

I've had lunch with Don several times. It's good, but it's not $20 good...

:rolleyes:

I hate to be the bearer of bad............well thoughts, but I wouldn't be surprised if The Crypt was off the map next year. I doubt the ride itself will go anywhere anytime soon, but SBNO could happen. Unfortunetly Kings Island is kind of in a catch 22 with this one. The ride is in the position it is because of the lost themeing. It's also going to be hard to sell the ride to another park for a good price due to the same reason.

Most of you that like this ride do because you remember what it used to be. The last day of the season this year was the first time I have ever ridden it and it was one of the worst rides I have ever been on. I will admit that this type of ride isn't my thing to begin with and I only went on it because my son really wanted to. None of the lights that were said to be added earlier this year seemed to be there on. Pretty much was just moving around in the dark.

• Like 1

I hate to be the bearer of bad............well thoughts, but I wouldn't be surprised if The Crypt was off the map next year. I doubt the ride itself will go anywhere anytime soon, but SBNO could happen. Unfortunetly Kings Island is kind of in a catch 22 with this one. The ride is in the position it is because of the lost themeing. It's also going to be hard to sell the ride to another park for a good price due to the same reason.

Again, it's unfortunately far more complicated than that. After the theming was lost due to the park's sale from Paramount, the ride was reprogrammed in hopes that much, much, much increased thrill would compensate for the lost themeing. For many people, it did. But observationally, it appears that the ride was far too large to perform the acrobatic, thrilling cycle that was employed for about a season. Popular opinion is that the ride (the only GIANT top spin on earth among a hundred regular sized ones) was so worn out and mechanically stressed by the intense and thrilling program that it was closed more than it was open, in need of constant repair and part replacement. Observationally, it seems the ride's current, nearly-lifeless 2-flip cycle is about all that it can do after being subjected to such an active cycle that it wasn't meant to have for so long.

Compound that with HUSS's (the ride's manufacturers) already dismal reliability (many of their rides are prone to frequent breakdowns, and Dollywood is actually seeking legal action after years and years of battling to keep their HUSS Topple Tower working) and the fact that the ride operated in a humid, moist enviornment around those lava pits and fog machines for years (which, according to those in-the-know around here, it was not built to withstand) and you have a ride that is very mechanically worn. Given that, even if Cedar Fair were the kind of company to heavily theme a ride, it would be putting lipstick on a pig.

Given the negativity around it, wouldn't you assume that if the ride could be more thrilling, it would be? Mechanically, it seems to be reduced to what it is today to balance uptime and thrill. And keep in mind, it operates with 2/3 the capacity it originally did - a choice that many assume was made to make it more aerodynamic and able to perform the 9-flip cycle. Well, it doesn't flip nine times anymore, so if that is the reason that the front row was removed, then it was literally for nothing: now the ride operates on a less thrilling cycle than it ever had on Tomb Raider, and with 66% of its original hourly capacity...

Basically, it's a big complex situation that very few know all the ins and outs of (least of all me). I wish it were as easy as restoring the theme. It's not. Best case scenario in my opinion, we'd get a brand new suspended top spin (able to be thrilling) or a brand new Giant Top Spin (which, after all this, I say Kings Island shouldn't have to pay for) with the appropriate brakes, water-proofing, etc. that could return to a more themed, theater-like style. Compared to 9-flip Crypt and 2-flip Crypt, Tomb Raider's 4-flip cycle was a perfect fusion of thrill and theme, and it would satisfy both parties if the ride were able to be like that again... Sigh...

i think you two were using different routes to come to the same answer. I can't think of his name, but the new guy from Disney, will likely have a new creative team that will design higher themed, less expensive attractions that appeal to a guests senses than "thrill-factor." The Crypt will likely remain until they figure out how to best use the building its in for a new attraction- OR next major repair, whichever comes first. I bet the existing building and line would be part of any new attraction, as I can't imagine that the building itself is obsolete.

However, I do think that the crypt, as it is, is toast and is just around until the aforementioned pieces come together.

Agreed. I don't think anyone could be fooled into thinking that The Crypt will still be there in five years, much less ten or twenty. A shame, especially, since it was literally the park's blockbuster ride less than a decade ago... How quickly things can change...

I think that the crypt has about 1 more year left maybe 2 if KI waits but the future of this ride is not seeming very joyful.

Over the past couple of years I have watched the lines slowly decrease on the ride however I presonally like the ride as much as

I did during the Paramount days, it is more about the feel of the ride than the special effects. I will just keep riding it until the

rocks crumble at the entrance of the ride and it goes into hibernation forever which probably just means the junk yard.

I would love to see a coal mine themed wild mouse coaster. Sort of like what Ringmaster said. The only problem is getting the ride removed and the new ride erected with the box already there.

If not mistaken wasn't FOF built after the building was already erected.