The Crypt: Gone for 2012!

TombRaiderFTW

I think another issue would be that the ride's foundations are probably very, very deep. I imagine the entire concrete floor would need to be shattered and removed to get the ride's foundation out. But I don't know... Also, the building is coded for a certain thing and able to hold a certain number of people and a structure of a certain size and clearances of a certain height... Things like that that I am not privy to that may make building an entirely new structure more realistic.

As for Flight of Fear, wasn't a crane built right into the building's ceiling for the roller coaster's construction?

just like last season & the season prior to it, i predict it will stay put. they made some minor touch-ups to it last year with the que-line. (not i said MINOR) why would they make a small attempt to remotely try & fix something; only to rip it out in the next season??? :huh:

just like last season & the season prior to it, i predict it will stay put. they made some minor touch-ups to it last year with the que-line. (not i said MINOR) why would they make a small attempt to remotely try & fix something; only to rip it out in the next season??? :huh:

People will point to plenty of rides that have received major and minor improvements very shortly before their removal... Some even at Kings Island.

In 2007, Kentucky Kingdom's Hellivator recieved a brand new coat a paint, a new sign, new theme, and new marketing. In 2008, it was dismantled separately from the park's 2009 closure... Things happen. Like, inferior steel beginning to show it's age, or unbanked turns making a very popular ride too logistically expensive to run with new tires needed every other week, or a ride losing the licensing that made it worthwhile, or a sudden lack of popularity for any number of reasons.

If The Crypt is costing hundreds of thousands, tens of thousands, or even just thousands of dollars to run each year, then who would say "But, we just added new lights to the queue!" And better yet, who would agree that that is, in fact, a good reason to keep the ride around when it's costing money?

^ Good point.

I honestly think this rides days are numbered. Maybe not next year, maybe not the year after that, but it's certainly on its way out. As far as removing the building, very doubtful. KI still has the old lion's den from the safari and the monkey cages on property. They will find a use for that building, whether it be used for a future Haunt attraction, or merely storage. Unfortunately it's quite the eye sore in Rivertown.

• Like 1

I wish Kings Island would do what they did to Boomerang Bay to The Crypt. Completely change it, new name, new theme, better ride cycle, and overall better thrill. That would be great. While it costs money, if they can expand a water park for $10mil, what can they do the The Crypt?

Aren't we at a point where the question is, is it worth it?

Funny how so many "innovative" choices from Paramount Parks are weighing heavily on Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. How was Sledgehammer at Canada's Wonderland this season? The Action Theaters are showing their age, now belonging to a company who doesn't seem too interested in refreshing them... Son of Beast speaks for itself. And so does The Crypt, I think...

If Cedar Fair poured $6 million into brand new effects, themeing, building codes, movie licensing, or whatever it is, would the ride be any better? Some say it's "lipstick on a pig." No amount of themeing can hide the mechanically-flawed, weakened ride, and considering that it might not even be able to last from a technical point of view, is there great value in it? Even if it reopened next season as "Tomb Raider: The Ride," it seems that the physical, mechanical Top Spin doesn't have much life in it. So would that influx of money be worth it?

On the complete other end of the coin, is there great value in a brand new, state-of-the-art suspended top spin placed in a building with such a lackluster theme? With no story? With no effects? With minimal lighting? In a region that associates the Top Spin ride system with what was Tomb Raider, an outdoor version might come across as terribly cheap. Surveys and guest questionnaires would need to determine that.

The "best" choice (if money were no option) would be to get a brand new top spin and a well-themed ride. For Cedar Fair as we knew it, that might not be even a Blue Sky possibility. But now, there is someone else in charge of their Blue Sky... It's just a question of whether he sees or saw the potential, and how that potential best balances with the finances of the company and visitors.

Plus remember that one draw-back of the pay-one-price park is that rides don't need to carry their own weight. In a pay-per-ride park, The Crypt might already be gone... People ride it now because it's included in the price of admission, but would they if it cost $2.00 per ride? Even if they did once, would they go again?

In 2007, Kentucky Kingdom's Hellivator recieved a brand new coat a paint, a new sign, new theme, and new marketing. In 2008, it was dismantled separately from the park's 2009 closure... Things happen. Like, inferior steel beginning to show it's age, or unbanked turns making a very popular ride too logistically expensive to run with new tires needed every other week, or a ride losing the licensing that made it worthwhile, or a sudden lack of popularity for any number of reasons.

i think* understand the point you're making, but i don't think this is the best example...

wasn't one of the major reasons this ride was removed due to the snapping cable incident?

*where you trying to make a point like how king cobra was painted not long before its removal to make it more marketable to possible buyers?

I'm saying, things happen. After Tower of Power's cable snapped, the ride reopened after only a few weeks. It wouldn't have done so unless everyone under the sun in power at Six Flags and in the State of Kentucky deemed it safe. It didn't matter. It was unpopular (and I don't blame people for that) and was shuttered soon after, despite the moderate financial influx it had recieved only the year before. SIX could've said, "Hey. We checked it, and it's fine now. And we just dumped all that money into giving it the Superman theme last year! We're not moving it!" That didn't happen; the small monetary investment of 2008 didn't stop the 2009 dismantling on a ride that was 100% approved for operation post-incident.

Just because The Crypt got a minimal budgetary boost in 2011 is not a good reason to keep it around. The Tower of Power example is extreme, yes... But my impression of rotag's original post is that they wouldn't have given minor upgrades to the queue if they intended to close the ride the next season. My response to that is: wrong. I don't think we can count on The Crypt's continued operation just because its queue got a few more lights. Things happen. They may not be as major as Tower of Power, but a simple budgetary reevaluation or a guest comment or an accusation can change things. Has anyone written in to Kings Island saying they're truly, terribly offended by the idea of desecrating a burial place and making a crypt the location of a ride, and that they'll certainly make an announcement at their next church function regarding it? Has anyone called and said the ride gave them a concussion or an aneurism? If they did, would the ride close (even briefly), or would Kings Island representative say, "Sorry, we just added new lights in the queue so the ride's going to stay this way for a while, no matter the cost." It's the same if an internal complaint is lodged - like, if it's found that the ridership and guest satisfaction is down, at that the ride is causing more harm than good financially (which many here seem to think is the case).

P.S. I suppose if what you're saying is true, I don't have the full picture. Hasn't it been said here that King Cobra was removed in part due to its inferior steel composition? If that's the case, why would Kings Island try to sell it? That hardly sounds like a fair offer. "Hey, this ride is made of inferior Japanese steel. Wanna buy it and operate it at your theme park? No refunds!" Haha. Maybe I don't have the whole story. That's like trying to sell Son of Beast...

I would love to see a coal mine themed wild mouse coaster. Sort of like what Ringmaster said. The only problem is getting the ride removed and the new ride erected with the box already there.

If not mistaken wasn't FOF built after the building was already erected.

Indeed it was, but if I recall, the crane used to install the track and supports were built within the building. I believe the crane still remains there today.

• 2 weeks later...

I HOPE THEY KEEP THE CRYPT!! http://www.KICentral.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/sad.png
Edit: If you happen to look at this 9 months later, then you can see that yes, all members have there troubles early on.

Wow I sucked at posting when I was new on here. I cannot interpret some of my early posts myself. Honestly, I'm having trouble.

Edit Again (Feb 2016): Yeah I'm really sorry guys...

Edited by ohiocolts
  • Like 1

The topic is still alive and your enthusiasm is appreciated, but YELLING is not allowed. See the Terms of Service.

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4128&pid=60232&st=0entry60232

And double posting is generally frowned upon. The edit function is generally preferable.

Terp, who doesn't want to bury this topic!

I call it large letters, no yelling. X48 size letters does not mean your yelling, because when I wrote it, I didn't yell I hope they keep the Crypt! It's big letters, no "yelling". Anyway, I like the ride, hope they keep it.

Sorry I double posted. And I don't think that is the real terms of use.

Edited by ohiocolts

^ Good point.

I honestly think this rides days are numbered. Maybe not next year, maybe not the year after that, but it's certainly on its way out. As far as removing the building, very doubtful. KI still has the old lion's den from the safari and the monkey cages on property. They will find a use for that building, whether it be used for a future Haunt attraction, or merely storage. Unfortunately it's quite the eye sore in Rivertown.

Where are these located??? Can you see them from anywhere in the park?

I call it large letters, no yelling. X48 size letters does not mean your yelling, because when I wrote it, I didn't yell I hope they keep the Crypt! It's big letters, no "yelling". Anyway, I like the ride, hope they keep it.

Large type like that and all caps on the Internets are both seen as yelling. Our gracious host has asked that we not do that.

Sorry for off-topic, but I just peeked outside and saw snow for the first time this year.

Edit: So sorry for double-post

Update: According to posts about GOCC 2011, the Crypt is "Under review for further operations". Is this the end of the Crypt?

Edited by ohiocolts

• 3 weeks later...

I came across this. This POV of Tomb Raider really brought back a lot of memories. Although The Crypt is no-where near this fantastic, I honestly do not want it to be removed. Look at what it used to be, there is potential!

And man, I bet the guy who uploaded that on YouTube is really handsome and smart. He just seems that way to me, for some reason. Call it intuition.

;)

I'm really glad I came across that on Google Videos, because it's honestly one of the best references to the actual ride that I know exists. Once upon a time, I also had links to a complete queue walkthrough video from 2002 and a video of the preshow. Somewhere along the way, I lost the address for them, and I haven't been able to find them since. They were on some odd, unknown video hosting site that, coincidentally enough, looked a lot like what Vimeo looks like now. Really wish I could find them again...

I do think that the Crypt will be operating next year but

it could also be dismanteled when we return with the building left while they dicide what to do with it.

If it was dismanteled there would probably be no sign that said "The Crypt" at the old entrance and their would probably not even be a

a new notice saying that the ride is not operating.