The Crypt: Gone for 2012!

TombRaiderFTW

^^^^ (4 posts up)

What kind of coaster is that supposed to be? It looks cool...

Things that could replace The Crypt (and I would approve of):

#1-A brand new, suspended Top Spin...indoors our outdoors. Possibly like Kings Dominion's.

#2-Shoot The Rapids-style water ride. Possibly with huge drop. In fact, I'd enjoy a huge drop!

#3-Intamin Blitz Coaster (Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, etc are examples)

#4-A B&M Invert, Floorless, or Wing Rider (there is actually a lot of room back there if the entrance is placed where Crypt is now)

#5-S&S Screamin' Swing

#6-Possibly several other options

I would NOT approve of an indoor Wild Mouse, for capacity reasons. You think the line for Firehawk moves slow? That would be even worse!

Plus, have all these people who consistantly ask for a wild mouse coaster ever ridden one?

Ricochet at Kings Dominion, anyone? Goofy's Sky School? The cartoon dinosaur one at Animal Kingdom? These rides are not exactly reknowned for their comfort, fun, or themeing. Especially if you place one indoors, expect people to line up just to see what it is (see, Tomb Raider, The Dark Knight Coaster), thereby making its poor throughput really shine!

• Like 1

Guest TombraiderTy

^^^^ (4 posts up)

What kind of coaster is that supposed to be? It looks cool...

It's Spinning Dragons from Worlds of Fun. It's a good family coaster at 30 mph, 54 feet tall and a tad over 1,300 foot length. And WoF has a 43" height requirement for it when accompanied with a responsible adult. If KI had the same requirement, it'd (finally) be a coaster outside of Planet Snoopy that children under 48" could ride.

spinning_dragons_01.jpg

Edit - Although, just to say, Adventure Express and Racer both had 44" height requirements at one point in time. Then they were bumped-up four inches to 48"... ironically at the same time they received seatbelts.

Plus, have all these people who consistantly ask for a wild mouse coaster ever ridden one?

Ricochet at Kings Dominion, anyone? Goofy's Sky School? The cartoon dinosaur one at Animal Kingdom? These rides are not exactly reknowned for their comfort, fun, or themeing. Especially if you place one indoors, expect people to line up just to see what it is (see, Tomb Raider, The Dark Knight Coaster), thereby making its poor throughput really shine!

If they stuck an old Arrow mouse in that building I would re-ride that thing all day long. Which may very well be a total of 5 or 6 times as you pointed out, but I wouldn't be horribly disappointed if that is how it ended up. Would you rather have a three point challenge (or some other similar up charge) or a new, albeit less than thrilling (to most), coaster? If its up charge or mouse, give me the rodent any day.

Edit: Though as I have said before, a Screamin' Swing would look quite nice there.

I guess some of us just don't like slamming from side to side on unbanked turns, with brakes continually kicking in and slamming me forward and back. :P

You mean (minus the unbanked turns) like when riding The Beast or even The Racer?

I think people are missing the point on why they call a Wild Mouse coaster a WILD Mouse coaster. And, really, are people complaining about the lack of theming on said coaster? I'm pretty sure SFNE's Bizarro coaster has the same (or wee bit less) amount of theming as SFGA's Dark Knight Coaster.

How about we level the cave/beautiful warehouse in the woods and build some kind of water ride. They need to put the river back in Rivertown. This may sound crazy, but I'm kind of hoping they could build a small family ride. Maybe a flat or two. Oh, and plant some trees why you're at it.

town2copy.jpg

:rolleyes:

I don't think I'd squeeze another coaster back there. It would seem a bit too much. But that's just me. I'm thinking more on lines of the ol' KKC. You know, not exactly the same, but something relaxing that won't get me wet via annoying elephant/snoopy.

Of the three Wild Mouse coasters I have ridden, I have enjoyed none of them. So I would hope to see something other than that. I don't know. Maybe I've just ridden the wrong ones.

There's two big flaws in people's logic in this thread.

1) The obsession over theming. I think it has been made pretty clear that this is not Cedar Fair's forte, aim or overall goal. We are talking about a seasonal amusement park chain. Cedar Fair's parks, while different, overall do not target the same market that the year-round, immersive larger corporate parks attract. See a certain CEO's theory on how the "great recession" was going to make people visit their regional parks more and the tourism based parks less. While Cedar Fair doesn't release attendance numbers, the Disney's and Universal's were happy to and didn't seem to experience any significant drop offs.

Don't misunderstand me, I certainly understand people's respect and desire to see highly themed rides especially when most of us can remember a time when the park was owned by a company who sought out such projects. I rode Tomb Raider: The Ride its opening day. Fantastic experience. Did it hold up? No. I don't need to beat that dead horse, but it has been made pretty clear that a regional, seasonal park isn't the best place for such an expensive attraction.

Not to mention, people keep ignoring the facts that you don't have to be some industry insider with a crystal ball to know. I keep seeing Cedar Fair vilified in this thread for the current state of The Crypt, but does anyone remember when the ride was still Tomb Raider? How many seasons in a row did it close down pre-maturely before the rest of the park closed? And when it was open, how many times do you remember standing in line only to have the ride close down? It DIDN'T WORK WELL as Tomb Raider: The Ride. They tried something else then abruptly after one season and a few months into the next made it a dumbed down ferris wheel. It didn't work well then and now we have the current Crypt. It's not going back to Tomb Raider or anything more intense than what it currently is. Get over it.

2) That somehow we have to have a certain number of flats. We're not in a competition with Cedar Point. This isn't Roller Coaster Tycoon where we need to build up a "Thrill Rating of 600 or more" in order to pass the level. Posting a few pictures of other top spins with few riders is not an accurate way to judge the ridership of those attractions with pictures taken out of context. Just as saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "I've seen mostly full cycles on The Crypt" or "People ALWAYS RODE Son of Beast" are not accurate ways to judge those rides popularity based on your visits and limited perception.

CoastersRZ made the best point - the park is going to make the best business interest that is cost-effective to them. If they believe enough people ride the ride compared to how much it's costing them - they'll keep it. If they look at their data which none of us have and decide otherwise, they'll remove it.

And if they do, who cares? It's never going to be as great as it was or much better than it is now. And if they keep it, then those who do enjoy riding it can keep on enjoying it and you may see another attraction take its place.

• Like 7

Very well written post, Gordon! Great to see you posting too!

All very valid points and thanks for the comments about my post. Few people really understand the business operations aspect of amusement parks, and the removal of a ride is not a simple decision that any park takes lightly.

This attraction needs to have something done to it. The theming outside of the ride is fantastic, but the inside ( you know, the part that matters the most to the rider ) seriously lacks something to be desired. I wouldn't be the least bit dissatisfied if they ripped the whole thing out and put a pond back in. Or added a new log flume ride in it's place. In fact, I would even be happy to see them rip it up and plant some trees. Finally, even though I know this would never happen, that building would make a great planetarium.

Here's what I want to happen... whatever keeps KI vibrant and their visitors happy. If Crypt isn't hurting anything, leave it. If it needs to go, goodbye. It was amazing as TR:TR but that is a memory... nothing more.

My head would spin if I was trying to decide on... fix the problems of SOB and TR:TR. I would also take it as a lesson learned. KI is an amazing seasonal park and does not need to push the limits of competition, especially with parks that have year-round attendance.

^ Just trying to get an understanding of the situation... Weren't at least some of those people simply disposed of when Cedar Fair changed the staff in 2006? Or were Cedar Fair's decisions to remove them based on those rides? Or was that not the situation at all? The primary example of this I'm thinking of (though primarily so because he's pretty much the only Paramount staff name I know off the top of my head) is Jeff Siebert. But again, I don't really know much about how Cedar Fair handled itself in the Paramount takeover.

TombRaiderFTW:

That 2ooo installation cost many good people their jobs, some even before the ride opened. No one will ever know the full impacts of the decision to build that particular ride, with that particular design, take the contracting back in house, make the changes that were made, etc.

And Jeff Seibert left Paramount Parks before sale of the company was even announced. He left to pursue better opportunities. He saw his talents as better used elsewhere, and he has since done swimmingly.

And Jeff Seibert left Paramount Parks before sale of the company was even announced. He left to pursue better opportunities. He saw his talents as better used elsewhere, and he has since done swimmingly.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he leave even before Viacom had split the bill and handed the parks off to CBS?

• 4 weeks later...