The Crypt: Gone for 2012!

TombRaiderFTW

Well, I'm not surprised. The ride was made to be an exciting, movie like experience, and with the harsh guidelines set in the Paramount- Cedar Fair contract, was almost impossible to give the ride back its former glory. I'm glad that the ride will be gone, and I'm hoping that this new Haunt Experience will only be in the building for a year. Next year, something needs to be done with the building. Whether it's putting in a new ride, or tearing it down completely. There is no point in keeping a big building like that for something that will only run 1 month of a year. It's the perfect area for a new flat ride, and I believe that the area would suit it well. I truly don't want this large land space to be taken up for something that could easily occupy an area 1/4 of its size.

it can be used for storage. ;)

A big empty building that won't be used until the fall will be an eyesore. Hopefully next year they can do something better with the space, either a new ride in the building or remove it and put something in its place.

as stated above, storage.

Am I the only one that's ridiculously excited to see what they do with the space in relativity to making a killer Haunt? (No Pun Intended)

Nope, you're not the only one. As I said in the other topic that was started on this subject and then locked:

Yes, but that big ugly box is the perfect location for a Haunt. Too bad it's going to still be standing there the rest of the year though.

And the park is once again without a Ferris wheel...

X'D forgot about that point.

Level the box and plant some trees. Here's to a family log flume that doesn't involve an elephant! Put the River back in Rivertown.

finally, someone seems to be thinking like me.

It seems like the new trend at KI is. Hey lets close that ride and put a haunt in it's station or building instead of tearing it down. :::::Everyone Claps:::::

Seems like a clever idea of (temporarily) repurposing prior attraction space rather than leaving it sit empty. Too bad there aren't more warehouses devoted specifically to Haunt attractions so that none of the rides are affected by an event that lasts ten seasonal nights. That's the case with every Haunt attraction in the park, regardless of whether or not it's in the station of a coaster that has remained SBNO for several years or in the space of a theatrical stage. And with the exception of few mazes (namely, Wolf Pack, Urgent Scare, and CarnEvil), they only stay up two months out of the year.

But getting rid of a lawsuit-attracting ride that was arguably doomed from the start and an on-its-last-leg flat ride that's been a burden from a PR POV and a maintenance one hardly leads one to believe that Cedar Fair intends to turn Kings Island into a waterpark exclusively.

In one of the two recent cases of that I can recall, a park on leased land removed its signature thrill ride then fell into political turmoil with the landlords at a time of great corporate focus shift in the lessee. In the second, an over-expanded family park was systematically dismantled as one ride at a time was sent to the company's other parks, where those rides doubtlessly did much more good marketed as "new!" than they did rotting away in Amish country.

I return to what's been said in another post: it's about money. It has to be. It's unfortunate that Geauga Lake's generations of fans had to see it die, but would you rather have had Cedar Fair struggle through massive debt and have Kings Island, Cedar Point, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, and Dorney Park short massively popular attractions just so that no one in Aurora, Ohio would have to be sad? Officials apparently surmised that the cost to operate The Crypt finally exceeded the benefits of its operation, and thus it became a drain on resources. Just like that, it disappeared. Sad that a ride whose introduction was heralded by all manner of enthusiast just ten years ago could be dismissed just as quickly, but the marketing wasn't there, the draw wasn't there, the word of mouth wasn't there, and so it's gone. That, to me, doesn't resemble Aurora or Louisville's situations in the slightest.

You mentioned having "seen before" expanding water parks and diminishing thrill parks. I went on to note the two recent examples of that that I've seen. In both of those cases, I said very truthfully that I don't think there's any resemblance to Kings Island's scenario. Why don't you say what you mean so it can be discussed, then?

In the last five years, Cedar Point added Maverick, Planet Snoopy, Starlight Experience (removing Demon Drop), Shoot the Rapids (closing Chaos), WindSeeker, and Dinosaurs Alive (closing Paddlewheel Excursions). The Mat Racing slide added to Soak City is the first addition to the water park since 2004. Before that, it was 1995.

In other words, I would hardly say Cedar Point was aggressively dismantling their ride lineup and aggressively beefing up their waterpark as of recent.

I think we can agree that water parks are inexpensive compared to the draw they create, so it makes sense that that be the "off season" investment at Kings Island and Cedar Point while Canada's Wonderland has their "on season."

You mentioned having "seen before" expanding water parks and diminishing thrill parks. I went on to note the two recent examples of that that I've seen. In both of those cases, I said very truthfully that I don't think there's any resemblance to Kings Island's scenario. Why don't you say what you mean so it can be discussed, then?

Yes, this has been seen more than once. That's why I'm interested in reading people's opinions on how KI's actions may or may not be similar and/or may or may not result in similar outcomes. Hence the vagueness in my original post.

someone asked earlier how they'd take it out, piece by piece. Assuming the architects who designed the building weren't stupid, they made sure to have a doorway out of the building that was big enough to remove the largest piece of equipment for the ride and bring back in a similarly sized replacement part. If there was something excessively large that couldn't be dismantled that they knew would mean a long term shut down, they'll cut a hole into the side of the building to get it out, then "patch" up the whole for future use.

Is the building big enough to pull off some sort of family themed water ride, like the former enchanted voyage? how about something similar to Epcot's "Soar" or is it "soaring"?

someone asked earlier how they'd take it out, piece by piece. Assuming the architects who designed the building weren't stupid, they made sure to have a doorway out of the building that was big enough to remove the largest piece of equipment for the ride and bring back in a similarly sized replacement part. If there was something excessively large that couldn't be dismantled that they knew would mean a long term shut down, they'll cut a hole into the side of the building to get it out, then "patch" up the whole for future use.

somebody will surely correct me if i'm wrong, but the crypt, then tomb raider the ride, was fully constructed inside warehouse style building it's located in. i'm pretty sure i read that it was done to both protect the ride from the elements it wasn't designed to run in and to help keep the ride more secretive.

how about something similar to Epcot's "Soar" or is it "soaring"?

you were closer the second time, it's actually soarin' :)

somebody will surely correct me if i'm wrong, but the crypt, then tomb raider the ride, was fully constructed inside warehouse style building it's located in. i'm pretty sure i read that it was done to both protect the ride from the elements it wasn't designed to run in and to help keep the ride more secretive.

how about something similar to Epcot's "Soar" or is it "soaring"?

you were closer the second time, it's actually soarin' :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the ride is still in there when the new attraction opens. They could use the seating or you will walk over it to get to the exit.

After thinking about it you will probably exit out the side before you get to the ride.

When I first rode tomb raider it was something, memories will always be there.

But I hope for the new president of Cedar Fair they have a good replacement, that will work with River Town theme.

They should make it spectacular, they have a great building.

Really also the fact is for Kings Island one of their top parks, they should have torn it out in off season, and reopened it for 2012 whatever it would be.

Not to mention, a temp location for haunt, that is just crazy.

Hope for 2013, with 2 major attractions gone.

Would it not be nice not a coaster but maybe something like Dolly has done in the past, 6 new family rides of all kinds, to keep the park up maybe 2 or 3 in the river town area, and spread them around?

I do remember that I said "i'm willing to bet money it would be gone for 2012", and someone said they were willing to bet everything I was wrong. hmmm who was that? i will have to go back and look at previous post. lol

Yea, it's people like that who shouldn't be on here. Who was that?

Not me. Now I am downloading inception music used on the crypt, the queue lines music, the loading music, and on ride music. In loving memory of The Crypt. R.I.P. 2002-2012.

The Crypt closed right before it could celebrate 10 years of operation. So did Son of Beast. They are ruining 10 year celebrations :(.