The Crypt: Gone for 2012!

TombRaiderFTW

I know... Just seeing it really go after being gone 4 seven years just makes me sad... Sorry bout the yelling... I just got back on again... Have not been on In a while so it all seems new

Oh...its...okay...we...all....have...trouble...keeping...ourselves...from....yelling...sometimes...

• Like 1

I know... Just seeing it really go after being gone 4 seven years just makes me sad... Sorry bout the yelling... I just got back on again... Have not been on In a while so it all seems new

Oh...its...okay...we...all....have...trouble...keeping...ourselves...from....yelling...sometimes...

lol...haha...Thanks 4 the support.

If i may say it seems more like an loss/advancement to KI, yeah we lost a good ride, but the true theming of RiverTown maybe brung back from this demolishment and make the area more river valley town like. So in my case its a bitter sweet situation, loss of a ride, new haunt, and more of an old town feel to River Town. In which i hope that they can maybe try to shroud the big "tin box" for the theming to be better.

Tomb Raider has not been gone for 7 years. The ride wasn't renamed The Crypt until the 2008 season.

Did you ride the ride in 2005? It was gone, alright... A much different ride than the builders had anticipated by that point. Lucky to get a ride with the sound working! Fog was dead, sparker was dead, the ride was closed for weeks at a time, when it was open it usually stopped at the lava pits...

^Even then, the spark effect had been gone for quite some time. The only time's I remember seeing that were in 2002 the first year it opened.

It was a simple effect, but man, it made that whole experience more "real." TR:TR was bold, unique and a hell of a concept. It was also a hell of a lesson for Paramount Parks and Cedar Fair.

At the top of the "wall" in front of the riders, there were devices which could produce real sparks.

From what I remember, I believe they went off as your Gondola raised up. There were sound effects that made it sound like the vehicle you were on was creaking badly and then sound effects of slight explosions that coincided with the sparks being dropped from the top of the ride room.

It was pretty neat.

The wall also had two shades of flourescent paint. When the goddess was "happy" at the start of the show, certain lights kicked on and illuminated only certain flourescent colors. When she went crazy and got "mad," the other lights came on and highlighted the other group of colors. It gave the effect of the wall coming alive and the goddess changing expressions.

The wall also had two shades of flourescent paint. When the goddess was "happy" at the start of the show, certain lights kicked on and illuminated only certain flourescent colors. When she went crazy and got "mad," the other lights came on and highlighted the other group of colors. It gave the effect of the wall coming alive and the goddess changing expressions.

I know there are bigger pictures of it out there, but I can only find these.

pki-tomb-raider-400-1.jpg

pki-tomb-raider-400-2.jpg

Other important aspects of the ride to remember:

800px-Tomb_raider.jpg

screenshot20120302at348.png

screenshot20120302at348.png

TombRaider_580_V2.jpg

TombRaider_onride.jpg

Via http://www.technifex...aider-the-ride#

Truly awesome to think a ride like that existed... at a seasonal park... in Ohio... if only for a short time. In its early days, it easily trumped what Disney and Universal were doing at the same time.

^So true. The ride was a total surprise and when it worked, it was amazing. GYK posted some good photos from Technifex. I forgot that they had real flames out front once. The soundtrack was also amazing. Two hours of custom music just for the queue. One track outside, on track for the inside.

I'm not sure where it went, but CoastersRZ found some document one time talking about how they even designed the queue so that as you walked up from certain angles, the planted trees obscured the building. Before Diamondback, you could really see that effect as you came up the path past The Beast.

I love seeing all these pictures. It's a shame to see such a well themed ride deteriorate due to poor designing. I would love to see them try this concept again under a different name and theme. I love the concept behind the original ride; I'm just bummed I didn't get to experience the ride when everything still worked. Thanks for those pictures by the way. I have been trying to find original TRTR pics for the longest time!

Hmmm. So has this been confirmed or are we still speculating? I'm thumbing through all the pages of this post and I'm still not sure. The box is on the 2012 map (unlike the disappearing act that SoB has been doing the past few years...)

Confirmed? No?

Thanks guys! Phew, all that reading got me confused, we have a lot of pages, here. I'm sad, but... not really? I rode Tomb Raider exactly once. It was in the first couple of years and it was awesome. I tell tales 'round the fire of icicles and sparking walls. My kids have ridden The Crypt... and accuse me of exaggerations. I mourned this ride long long ago. ;p

^ Confirmed. The park announced it via Twitter.

They confirmed The Crypt was closing, not that it would be on the 2012 map.

It should not be included. Why would they have a big random box just sitting there on the map? I'm sure guests would be very confused!

^ Yeah... alluna asked just that, so I answered as such. :)

And why shouldn't it be included? I mean, the park clearly doesn't mind adding in structures that are serving no purpose. That's why that wooden thing behind Days of Thunder is on the map, too. (Oh, wait...)

• Like 1

I can't say I'm sad to see it go, at least not as the ride it's become. If it were original incarnation of the ride, yes. What I really miss was the excitement of being in the line, waiting for the door to open, when all the lights would go out and the video screen came up...the effects were just incredible. I rode it last year and it was just sad, really. I feel for those of you who will miss it, though.

It should not be included. Why would they have a big random box just sitting there on the map? I'm sure guests would be very confused!

This may be due to this: the map producers already had the design made for the map, no more alterations can be made. Back in December they had the map ready with all the bells and whistles of the park, at that time no kind of decision was made for the retirement of the r.i.p. Crypt, the reason being for the "Tin Box" on the map.

This may be due to this: the map producers already had the design made for the map, no more alterations can be made. Back in December they had the map ready with all the bells and whistles of the park, at that time no kind of decision was made for the retirement of the r.i.p. Crypt, the reason being for the "Tin Box" on the map.

Ahh, but KIPR posted on twitter a pic of Don proofing a proof of the maps to be in the park, so who's to say it is not on that one. We will find out soon enough.

Ahh, but KIPR posted on twitter a pic of Don proofing a proof of the maps to be in the park, so who's to say it is not on that one. We will find out soon enough.

Yeah, I highly doubt the map has already been printed since Don was still proofing it last week. If it was me, it would be gone from the standard map and only added back for the Haunt map!