The Crypt: Gone for 2012!

TombRaiderFTW

The people who were in charge of Disneyland Resort during the turn of the century are no longer in charge there. They've moved on and up. It was Mr. Ouimet who followed after them and began the process of turning around what had been done there - shortened hours, reduced lighting, deemphasis on entertainment, reduced commitment to detail, the decline of ride maintenance... And of course, record profits.

I think you might have mistaken Matt Ouimet with Cynthia Harris and Paul Pressler, I mean, Matt refurbished a lot of older attractions, oversaw the 50th anniversary, and fixed a lot of the maintenance problems caused by Harris and Pressler like chipping paint, and burnt out bulbs.

...Tomorrowland 1998...

I rest my case.

rocketjets_observatron.jpg

Before I give a response, what exactly is that supposed to proving? Because Matt Ouimet became president in 2003, and that ride was closed in 2001. By Cynthia Harris and Paul Pressler. (unless that isn't Rocket Rods, so if that's the case, I apologize for the mistake)

• Like 1

The people who were in charge of Disneyland Resort during the turn of the century are no longer in charge there. They've moved on and up. It was Mr. Ouimet who followed after them and began the process of turning around what had been done there - shortened hours, reduced lighting, deemphasis on entertainment, reduced commitment to detail, the decline of ride maintenance... And of course, record profits.

I think you might have mistaken Matt Ouimet with Cynthia Harris and Paul Pressler, I mean, Matt refurbished a lot of older attractions, oversaw the 50th anniversary, and fixed a lot of the maintenance problems caused by Harris and Pressler like chipping paint, and burnt out bulbs.

I know it was those two. I said Matt Ouimet followed after them. ;) Pressler and Harris were the executives I mentioned who Disney fans would happily give to Cedar Fair.

I know it was those two. I said Matt Ouimet followed after them. ;) Pressler and Harris were the executives I mentioned who Disney fans would happily give to Cedar Fair.

Crap. Well, off to the Edit-Mobile, I guess.

I'm a little bummed that they took it out only to use the building as a haunt attraction. Idk about anyone else but I would have preferred to just try to reprogram it and maybe fix the theming rather than making an attraction that will only run for just over a month at the end of a season. Just seems like they're focusing too much on the haunt stuff. Don't get me wrong I love Halloween Haunt, just don't like the removal of a ride with potential for it. Probably cheaper to do this. Oh well, RIP Crypt.

Before I give a response, what exactly is that supposed to proving? Because Matt Ouimet became president in 2003, and that ride was closed in 2001. By Cynthia Harris and Paul Pressler. (unless that isn't Rocket Rods, so if that's the case, I apologize for the mistake)

I'm fairly sure that Ouimet was the one who allowed the un-bronzing of Tomorrowland. It was actually more supposed to be the Observatron, which tragically he didn't do anything about, but it pretty sums up the disaster which was TL '98.

I'm a little bummed that they took it out only to use the building as a haunt attraction. Idk about anyone else but I would have preferred to just try to reprogram it and maybe fix the theming rather than making an attraction that will only run for just over a month at the end of a season. Just seems like they're focusing too much on the haunt stuff. Don't get me wrong I love Halloween Haunt, just don't like the removal of a ride with potential for it. Probably cheaper to do this. Oh well, RIP Crypt.

The Crypt had potential?

Keep in mind that this is the first full season under new management. They likely didn't have time to do anything with the building between the time the decision was made and opening day. They won't even start hiring for Haunt for another 4 or 5 months, so they've got plenty of time to decide what they want to do with the building for that.

I would not be surprised to see that building used for something else entirely next season. They've got at least 8 1/2 months yet to decide what to do with that building for next season.

My understanding is that it was set up in the arcade on Coney Mall and entered through the back door of it, along the midway to X-Base. In other words, it was just cardboard diving walls setting up a maze in the regular arcade. Having stairs in the middle of a dark, atmosphere, high-tension haunted house would not bode well for ADA regulations, I don't think...

That's one of the reasons I never thought The Crypt's building could easily be used as a haunt... It'll be interesting to see how they get folks down to the ground floor of the building, or how they build a platform to connect the exit to the former queue if they do indeed include the former ride chamber as part of the haunt. (In fairness, people could enter through the cavern then exit through the "rendezvous point," skipping the ride chamber altogether and still packing a fair amount of maze into the queue and two pre-show rooms.

Most of the haunts in the Tri-State are known for not being completely ADA-compliant, what with stairs, ropebridges, and tunnels. Granted, there are workarounds, such as elevators or special access paths specifically for wheelchairs.

But I do think the option you mentioned is what they plan on doing, only using everything except for the ride chamber. If possible, they may even remove the queue rails and use the ride's overflow queue as attraction space, although it may be better to use said overflow as the actual line for the haunt so that it won't stick out into the Rivertown midway and clash with another haunt's line *cough*TombstoneTerrortory*cough*.

I just randomly remembered of one other detail I've found interesting concerning The Crypt that I've never really had a reason to post (but might as well now, as it's somewhat interesting.) I reposted a TRTR POV video (which was not filmed by me) from Google Videos onto my YouTube channel, and part of the analytics YouTube offers is a listing of where your video has been embedded. One of the most played locations is visitkingsisland.com. (Also in the list: kingsdominion.com, cedarpoint.com, screamscape.com, and technifex.com. Technifex was the company behind several of TRTR's special effects.)

So, for what it's worth... apparently Cedar Fair was at least somewhat aware of what the ride experience used to be as they created The Crypt. (I say "somewhat" since the video was well after the ride's prime year, 2002. Several effects are absent, which leads me to guesstimate the video was taken around 2006-2007.) I wonder if any of those views were by Kinzel, Ouimet, or Scheid. It's just something I thought was interesting.

The building was designed for and around that particular ride, what else did you expect them to use it for?

As for everyone complaining about how they wish they would've tried to do something with the ride... they did!

In 2008 it opened with a traditional and awesome top spin cycle. How well did that work out?

They tried. The ride sucked. Now its gone. We lost a good ride at that location a few months into 2002.

• Like 1

I've never seen this pic before..

tombraider1.jpg

From...

Palm pilot: Hard-hat Rick Doblanski inspects Durga, a 60- foot- tall deity, at Paramount's Kings Island in Mason, Ohio. The Hindu goddess will be ready for the opening next month of the park's newest attraction -- Tomb Raider, The Ride. Associated Press photo by Rick Norton

• Like 1

I've never seen this pic before..

tombraider1.jpg

From...

Palm pilot: Hard-hat Rick Doblanski inspects Durga, a 60- foot- tall deity, at Paramount's Kings Island in Mason, Ohio. The Hindu goddess will be ready for the opening next month of the park's newest attraction -- Tomb Raider, The Ride. Associated Press photo by Rick Norton

Hey Rick Doblanski! Hurry and get out of there! Durga's fire Is there and will over run you!

At one time didn't a certain PR rep say that Cedar Fair wanted to take Kings Island back to what it used to be.........corn fields anyone?

At least then we'd have a proper CornStalkers attraction for Haunt rather than sticking corn husks in the middle of an oversized smoking area. :P

• 2 weeks later...