Kinzel recives key to the city

For the past 25 years, Dick Kinzel has given me many modes of enjoyment with such contraptions as Gemini, Magnum, Raptor, Mantis, Millenium Force, Wicked Twister, Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, and Diamondback. And I have met him several times and he seems like a sweet, down to earth guy-he always seems to remember me when I see him at KI or CP. Thank you and God bless you, Mr. Kinzel, for giving me so many years of happiness.

For the past 25 years, Dick Kinzel has given me many modes of enjoyment with such contraptions as Gemini, Magnum, Raptor, Mantis, Millenium Force, Wicked Twister, Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, and Diamondback. And I have met him several times and he seems like a sweet, down to earth guy-he always seems to remember me when I see him at KI or CP. Thank you and God bless you, Mr. Kinzel, for giving me so many years of happiness.

Gemini was during the Munger era.

And he, in return, made many, many nickels.

I still remember when first we met....

Isn't that the goal of any executive at any company?

Man I really hope not.

In my opinion, the goal of any executive at any company should be to along the lines of growing and developing the company - helping it meet the needs of the employees, stakeholders, customers, and the community in which it operates. While doing that might lead to personal gain as well, it should be the result, not the driver.

I recently saw an interview with Bill Clinton. When asked what was one of the problems he thought that has caused our current economic situation, he replied something to the affect of: The definition of what a corporation is has changed within' the last 15 years. It used to be that a corporation had an EQUAL moral obligation to it's shareholders, it's employees & it's customers...now, it's the shareholders here, (He lifted his one hand high in the air.) and the employees & the customers are here. (His other hand was down really low.)

I couldn't have agreed more with him...and I would have agreed with any politician who made this statement no matter what their party affiliation.

• Like 1

A comment at the bottom of the Register article hit the nail on the head when he/she said full time employee moral is at rock bottom.

Employee morale changes as fast as the weather.

A local company has: a starting wage of $27/ hr, unlimited overtime that is not forced, uses piecework pay scale, a family of 4 has fantastic health insurance for $45/ week, a union contract negotiated for 5 years back in July, and hired over 1000 people this year.

Employee morale is reported to be rock bottom there as well.

But the story does leave an unanswered question: if Kinzel is ultimately responsible for morale, why would it be bad right now given that his days are numbered?

• Like 1

Would a reportedly $300,000 going away party have anything to do with that? Read the comments on that Register article. Some are scathing, to put it mildly.

Know also that the gentleman stays on the Board after January....

And this type of party is different than other companies have done?

Budgets are approved by more people than just the CEO for these types of events.

Nobody makes all the perfect decisions. I have no problem with looking at all his accomplishments, good and bad, and still find his end result to be overwhelmingly positive.

I would say that until about 2005, his record was superb, with flashes of incredible insight, brilliance and bravery. Since then, the final chapter has not yet been written as to such things as the attempted Apollo sell-out (while reserving a golden parachute so rich that even the Knotts rebelled), the employment of his son as a GM at an emerging park, of his son-in-law in a very important position at Cedar Point, the driving out of brilliant managers such as Jack Falfas, Al Weber, Tim Fisher and a host of others, the ending of many seasonal employees' benefits while insisting on a laundry allowance for himself--larger than many seasonals' pay, the employing of very low wage noncitizen employees, particularly at Cedar Point, during record unemployment in this country...and on and on and on.

Mr. Kinzel did the company a world of good. That being said, both his reputation and the company would have been better off, in My opinion, had he left six years ago, leaving the company in Jack Falfas' and Brian Witherow's capable hands.

• Like 1

Would a reportedly $300,000 going away party have anything to do with that? Read the comments on that Register article. Some are scathing, to put it mildly.

Know also that the gentleman stays on the Board after January....

How much do you think it cost's Cedar Point to hold Coastermania every year? They don't charge the coaster club members or guests for that at all as long as you are a season pass holder.

Coaster Mania is actually an investment by the park. By keeping enthusiasts, resort guests and unit holders happy, the park gets ambassadors singing the praises of Cedar Point. Also, many attendees drop large numbers of nickels in FUN's coffers while attending that event, from lodging to food to merchandise. See also "ACE Convention" and even the year, many years back, when said event was canceled very late in the game.