Will Timberliner trains be added to The Voyage in 2012?

Note that the Timberliners were originally supposed to go on The Voyage in 2010. However, when it became apparent that they wouldn't be ready, Holiday World had already sold one of the PTC trains. So they modified Raven's second train and ran it on Voyage instead. Then after more issues last year, they announced that they would be delayed until 2012. At this point, it really is anybody's guess when or if they will ever run.

How refeshing when a park such as Holiday World is so open in discussing problems and concerns about their rides. Not only telling you what is being done and why, but actually showing you. No big secrets, no need to interpret anything...just plain good old fashioned info for the fans. Love it.

• Like 2

How refeshing when a park such as Holiday World is so open in discussing problems and concerns about their rides. Not only telling you what is being done and why, but actually showing you. No big secrets, no need to interpret anything...just plain good old fashioned info for the fans. Love it.

Unlike Kings Island (Son of Beast)

Kings Island and Holiday World are two completely different entities. One is part of a publicly traded company, the latter a small privately owned business. Holiday World does not have to cater to shareholders, nor worry about stock prices falling if they something is wrong with a major ride.

Unlike Kings Island (Son of Beast)

(insert sarcasm) there waiting on a thunderstorm to turn it into BF:TR (BonFire:TheRide)

• 1 year later...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325861871036/permalink/10151366681806037/

Paula's reply here a couple of hours ago seems to indicate that they will be performing further testing on the Timberliners in March.

That was my post she responded to!!! Hope they can set it up. Only time will tell if they ever make it on there...

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how much the Timberliners will enhance The Voyage riding experience.

It would be interesting. But quite honestly, I'm losing all hope of these trains ever being implemented. Especially with all of the behind-the-scenes drama unfolding. In a perfect world, the trains would have been put on as planned in 2010, but something tells me that this will end up just like the RFID wristbands that Holiday World announced in 2009 I think it was. The HoliWatch program as I recall it. What happened to that? It just fell off the face of the Earth and never went on as announced and promoted.

So, with all of this being said, I do not see Timberliners being implemented onto the Voyage this season.

The Koch's sound pretty preoccupied this off-season anyways.

It will be interesting to see how much the Timberliners will enhance The Voyage riding experience.

Especially with all of the behind-the-scenes drama unfolding. In a perfect world, the trains would have been put on as planned in 2010, but something tells me that this will end up just like the RFID wristbands that Holiday World announced in 2009 I think it was. The HoliWatch program as I recall it. What happened to that? It just fell off the face of the Earth and never went on as announced and promoted.

Never heard of the RFID program is it something like this (http://www.holidayworld.com/visit/holicash)? They have a cash amount loaded onto a wristband so you dont have to carry around your wallet in the water park. Just curious to what it was supposed to be since I haven't heard of it.

FOFreak, on 31 Jan 2013 - 20:12, said:

It would be interesting. But quite honestly, I'm losing all hope of these trains ever being implemented. Especially with all of the behind-the-scenes drama unfolding.....

So, with all of this being said, I do not see Timberliners being implemented onto the Voyage this season.

The Koch's sound pretty preoccupied this off-season anyways.

I thought whether they are implemented has more to do with GravityKraft and their design of the train. ?

As long as Holiday World stays open, there could still be plenty of hope to see Timberliners this year.

(HW still says more testing in March)

Especially with all of the behind-the-scenes drama unfolding. In a perfect world, the trains would have been put on as planned in 2010, but something tells me that this will end up just like the RFID wristbands that Holiday World announced in 2009 I think it was. The HoliWatch program as I recall it. What happened to that? It just fell off the face of the Earth and never went on as announced and promoted.

Never heard of the RFID program is it something like this (http://www.holidayworld.com/visit/holicash)? They have a cash amount loaded onto a wristband so you dont have to carry around your wallet in the water park. Just curious to what it was supposed to be since I haven't heard of it.

It was a program that was announced to be a Child Tracking system with kiosks all around the park that parents or other party members could go to in order to find out where each other were located all around the park. Almost identical to the RFID system used at Dollywood in years past.

But, no not really like the Holicash program, something completely different. It just never really happened.

If I recall right, it was said to be delayed and they would implement it the following year. Following year came: No HoliWatch. Sounds somewhat familiar. Will this be the case of the Timberliners? Only time will tell.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

January 2012. That was then.

Now, a different management. Is that part of what's behind a relative now information dearth? Or is there more to this?

• Like 1

Looks like the other Holiday World woodies will be getting the same treatment if the timbers on The Voyage go well.

Question from random youtube user commenting on a Raven POV:

Does the Raven also have the same Timberliners as the Voyage?

Response from Holiday World:

Neither coaster has them yet. :)

^ Personally I'd rather Raven to never get Timberliners it's just fine as is. However Legend I could see as a nice fit for them. I'm a bit uneasy on how the hip restraint is with laterals though. I still don't understand the lack of love for that coaster (my favorite in that park) I would trade any of the wooden coasters at Kings Island for it. Ok maybe not The Beast or one side of Racer but I do enjoy it quite much.

• Like 3

^ Personally I'd rather Raven to never get Timberliners it's just fine as is. However Legend I could see as a nice fit for them. I'm a bit uneasy on how the hip restraint is with laterals though. I still don't understand the lack of love for that coaster (my favorite in that park) I would trade any of the wooden coasters at Kings Island for it. Ok maybe not The Beast or one side of Racer but I do enjoy it quite much.

The "lack of love" for it is probably the fact that laterals are not as popular as airtime, the latter of which Raven and Voyage produce plenty of. For proof, see Mitch Hawker's coaster polls. The 2006 polls (the most recent year for which ride forces rankings have been posted) clearly show that; the steel poll shows that laterals ranked at the bottom of the list (6th of 6), while in the wood poll, they ranked 5th of 6, beating only loops (which should give you an indication of the popularity of a certain recently demolished coaster, which still had it's loop at the time). Also, both forms of airtime (ejector and floater) topped both polls.

So that would explain the "lack of love" for the Legend (as well as why it's my personal least favorite of the three woodies at HW).

I can honestly say I agree with you on this one. Well this whole thing. Raven doesn't need Timberliners. Legend would do well with them and I don't understand the lack of love either. It's my favorite in the park too.

• Like 1

Wow, glad to see there at least 2 other people who perfer Legend over Raven & Voyage...I am not crazy. :P Or at least I am not the ONLY crazy one...oh, and by the way, Legend actually has every bit as much airtime as Raven does, as both give you negative g's about 4 times or so. The main difference is, Legend has an extra 1,000+ feet of track dedicated to laterals (mainly added via the helix), and thus SEEMS at first to have less. Raven also has far weaker lateral g-forces, which is saying something about Legend because Raven has pretty strong laterals! Since I like laterals quite a bit- I love my coasters forceful- Legend to me has a great mix of airtime, head-choppers, tunnels, laterals, and my favorite first drop of all the coasters I have been on (sorry Beast, but Legend also has a tunnel at the bottom, the drop twists when going down, and epic ejector airtime from the back seat). It also seemed to be running smoother than Raven or Voyage on my last visit.

Now, for Timberliners- Raven does not need them, it is small enough that re-tracking alone should be more than good enough to keep it in great shape. If Legend or Voyage do get them, I'd go ahead and keep at least some of their current PTC trains as they can be parts donors/backup trains for Raven. :P

For Legend, as long as they don't take any of the forcefulness or edge off of this coaster, as it's laterals are strong enough that the PTC trains it currently runs can be painful to ride in- Timberliners would allow you to enjoy the laterals without being pressed against a hard metal plate with bolts in it. However, if they are going to take the "edge" off...I'll just take the pain, it's not THAT bad anyhow.

Voyage needs them BAD- re-tracking appears to be good enough for the first out-and-back run, but the "spaghetti bowl" return run is already quite rough again- this section is where the Timberliners will help the most. This section is where Voyage lost it's status as my #2 coaster, which Legend took, leapfrogging Voyage & Diamondback to do so...it could reclaim it, however, if the Timberliners do what they are supposed to.

Oh, and the best airtime in all of Holiday World? Not on a wooden coaster...ride this all by yourself. As long as you aren't super-heavy (300lbs+) you will go airborne, and it is awesome. Actually, it's better airtime than any of the "coasters" I've been on at Kings Island or Holiday World. Do Voyage or Diamondback ever actually jump the track? :P

9.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly relevant: The 7th car has been removed from both Voyage trains, leaving them with six cars each (same as Raven and Legend). A crew leader told me that this change was made around last Saturday, but he didn't know why the change was made.

• Like 1

Possibly relevant: The 7th car has been removed from both Voyage trains, leaving them with six cars each (same as Raven and Legend). A crew leader told me that this change was made around last Saturday, but he didn't know why the change was made.

That makes no sense right in the middle of peak attendance season!

• Like 1

My thoughts..... the 7th car made the weight enough that it was hurting the track, or more accurately Lori's pocketbook during the 2013 offseason due to needed re-tracking, so they removed the7th car. Do I know this as fact? No, which is why I said "my thoughts" so dont quote me on it.

• 1 month later...

So much for that. Via the HoliBlog:

For four years, we have worked in partnership with Gravitykraft Corp. to test a new style of roller coaster train for The Voyage, our award-winning wooden roller coaster.

We very much appreciate Gravitykraft’s efforts in this process, however ultimately we have decided to continue running the existing trains on our three wooden coasters.