First was Behemoth, than came Diamondback

DropZone99

Now there is Leviathan, so whats next? Now just because CW built Behemoth in 08' and KI built Diamondback in 09' doesn't mean KI will make a Giga in 13' because CW is making Leviathan, but its fun to imagine! I could definitely see a giga coming to KI in the future, and assuming Leviathan is a success (which I'm sure it will be), the chances are higher of one coming to KI.

Earlier I was on Google Maps exploring Kings Island. I was thinking where a good location for a new coaster would be. I came up with a few locations.

Action Zone: I don't know how much profit is produced by the go-carts, but I never see people on them so I assume its low and isn't a bad decision to remove them. The station would be approximately where the carts are. The station would be facing towards Xtreme-Skyflyer. Once dispatched, the train would make a 180º turn to the right before climbing up 310' at a 45º angle. Once over the top, you would drop 300' at a 80º angle. This drop would be above Adventure Express's queue and would reach the ground near Racer's station (in that grassy area).

The train would reach a top speed of 95mph than fly up a 240' second hill. After this airtime-filled air, the train would fly over the X-Base walkway on a large hill that curves similar to the one ones on Intimidator (Carowinds) and Leviathan, only going left. The on-ride-photo would be at the bottom of this hill. Now is the lateral portion of the ride which includes an element very similar to Leviathan's hammer-head turn. Once done with this element, you soar through a banked turn/hill like the many on Leviathan (seen at the very bottom of this photo). The ride will feature a MCBR, which is right after the last element described.

After slowing down a tad-bit on the MCBR, the track drops down as it slightly turns to be parallel to the massive 240' airtime hill. You than jump over the X-Base walkway once again on a smaller 100' tall airtime hill. Riders once again experience airtime through another hill only this one is much smaller. And preparing for the grand-finale, you rise up another hill but turn to the left on a heavily banked upwards turn. In a Intimidator-305-manor, the train switches direction at a fast passe and drops downward similar to a helix. After making a sharp turn you end your journey as you hop onto the final break-run.

Here is a quickly made drawing on Paint I did to help explain. By the way, you can see it tears through the maintenance area. In reality, it would be elevated above it so it wouldn't interfere. And lastly, the entrance to the ride would be a plaza breaking off of Action Zone where Day of Thunder currently stands, a smaller path would also take you to the new coaster from Oktoberfest near Slingshot and Delirium.

Thoughts?

2mcwqiw.png

I don't think there is anyway of concluding that a giga coaster is "very likely coming to Kings Island". Especially if this claim is being made on CW getting Levy. For one there were a ton of B&M hypers before behemoth was built, with tried and true success. This is the first ever B&M giga coaster built. It could be a complete failure

I don't think there is anyway of concluding that a giga coaster is "very likely coming to Kings Island". Especially if this claim is being made on CW getting Levy. For one there were a ton of B&M hypers before behemoth was built, with tried and true success. This is the first ever B&M giga coaster built. It could be a complete failure

You do have a point. I am suprised that the first giga didn't come to Kings Island,because CF seems to use Kings Island as the test dummy. Like with Dinosuars Alive and now my guess is that a lot of Halloween Haunts will get a "Holiday Horror" for which KI is the first park to get that kinda maze.

Actually, when Leviathan's details were released, I thought that the problem with it might be the chain, because all of the Intamin Gigas have an elevator cable which is used to make it a safer climb. This is the only thing I can think of that might be a problem with Leviathan.

The cable doesnt make it a safter climb at all. Its there for a steeper lift hill, cheaper cost, and to speedier climb to the top.

^^ Sure, because the tension in two separate, smaller chains is less than the tension in one long one. I'm not saying a cable is 100% necessary; it just seems easier to design around a cable lift than a chain in terms of weight, if I had to guess. Not to mention, like flightoffear1996 said, that it's probably cheaper as far as parts go. The motor on a regular lift has to bear the weight of the train as well as the weight of the chain; the motor on a cable lift "only" has to bear the weight of the train and the probably much lighter weight of the catch car and cable.

Given B&M's reputation, I'm sure they've considered both options. I just find it interesting that nothing appears to have changed for the lift between the regular megas and the giga model--but then again, it's not like I've seen any diagrams or anything.

But B&M focuses on reliability. Always has. That's why their foray into flying coasters was such a surprise. They only have one roller coaster which doesn't use a traditional lift, and for it, the launch mechanism was outsourced because they wanted nothing to do with it, right? So can you see them using an elevator lift, which has not only been a mechanical issue from time to time, but physically snapped on Millennium Force? That doesn't seem to fit their reliability, low wear-and-tare standard... I don't know.

So can you see them using an elevator lift, which has not only been a mechanical issue from time to time, but physically snapped on Millennium Force? That doesn't seem to fit their reliability, low wear-and-tare standard... I don't know.

For me, not really. But given the jump in height for them, I expected something to change. I'm not disappointed or something that nothing really did on the outside, but... I dunno. I'm just kinda thinking out loud. It's like if Miler, who manufactured The Great Pumpkin Coaster and doesn't seem to make rides much over that height, produced a hypercoaster. You wouldn't really expect it to have the same track, trains, lift, etc., right? (And if it did... holy cow, that would be the scariest ride ever. Can you imagine falling +200ft. with a single-position lapbar that you barely fit under on tiny I-beam track? But I digress.) I half-expected, given Intamin's changes between their hypers and Millennium Force, to see more of a visual difference in the B&M giga model. But apparently there wasn't a need for it, so I guess I was wrong. Ho hum.

Given B&M's reputation, I'm sure they've considered both options. I just find it interesting that nothing appears to have changed for the lift between the regular megas and the giga model--but then again, it's not like I've seen any diagrams or anything.

There appears to be at least one big difference between the mega and the giga chain lifts - Leviathan's chain return will run through the track spine rather than below the track/through the supports like on every other B&M mega.

I think Cedar Fair wants us to think that a giga is coming to KI but actually there isn't. I believe that KI will be a test

for some unusual type of coaster like a wing coaster or something. Maybe this time KI won't be following exactly

in CW's footsteps, I think KI will bring something that Cedar Fair has not tried yet.

I think Cedar Fair wants us to think that a giga is coming to KI but actually there isn't.

This is exactly where issues arise. When Kings Island does not get a giga-coaster for 2013 (or for 2012, as some doubtlessly suspect that construction truly has been occurring somewhere secretly inside the park), we will say Kings Island overhyped it. Yes, it seems that Kings Island saying absolutely positively nothing about a giga-coaster at Kings Island indicates that "Cedar Fair wants us to thing that a giga is coming to [Kings Island] but actually there isn't." Really. That's the place we've arrived at in off-season speculation.

So many of us just beg for disappointment. And mark my words, people here WILL complain when Kings Island doesn't receive a giga-coaster in 2013; they will say exactly what is said here: That Cedar Fair intentionally misled us (how?) into thinking there would be a giga-coaster (why?) by never saying there would be one (yep!) when really there wasn't (huh?) exactly as they had not said there would be. What a marketing ploy that is! Brilliant beyond our meager mortal understanding, I guess.

• Like 3