Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

I remember the antique cars from when I was a kid. Good times.

I remember how much of a thrill it was to drive my parents around. (I see the same thrill on my nephew's faces when they are driving us around at WDW's Speedway.)

I understand that the cars were probably not cost effective to run...and the lines were usually bad...plus in the grand scheme of things they were not the greatest for the environment...but I still miss them! :)

When I was little, the Antique Cars and the Flying Eagles were pretty much the only things I would ride, even though I was clearly tall enough to get on things like The Racer, Vortex, etc. Because of that, I've got a ton of memories of riding them both with my parents, so it's really cool seeing the comparison... even though I'm not much of a fan of the "now" shot. :lol: Oh well, life moves on.

EDIT: You kinda have to wonder why Paramount got rid of the lower-left pond in your photos... It doesn't really get in the way of BLSC, and it would be nice to have now.

• Like 2

Yes. I still maintain that was one of the worst ride removals and replacements in KI history. That coupled with the removal of the Flying Eagles ride really removed quite a bit of charm from the park. But that is neither here nor there.

I`m looking forward to seeing more incredible comparisons! I actually thought about doing something similar for Coney Island Central this summer, but just never got around to doing it...

• Like 2

^ According to a certain someone (which I am sure some of you may know who I speak of but I will refrain from names) at Kings Island who had a Q & A session with myself and some other coaster enthusiasts, that is the goal of Kings Island moving forward, to restore that more classic amusement park feel. It was also mentioned that over the next few years thrill enthusiasts could be disappointed with the next few year of changes, but the goal is a better "park experience".

• Like 2

standbyme, thanks so much for sharing those photos. They are a great way to remember the park in it's glory days. These picks were taken a year before I was born, but I remember the park during the late 70's and early 80's. I really wish CF would return small things we really miss. Bring back International street. The great music that played( not the top 40 crap that I can hear anywhere), The shows are getting better. Remove all the outside restaurants like skyline, panda express, subway(except LaRosas), and bring back more unique and healthier choice foods. Anybody remember the rib pit over by the old mining store, I loved that! bring back the train to the way it used to be, not saying live actors, but the and small town and shooting cowboys and Indians.

• Like 3

Guest TombraiderTy

I only did Antique Cars a select few times and can't say I drastically miss them. Plus, I do enjoy Backlot Stunt Coaster, even if I can't deny that the area was much prettier prior to its existence. Like others, I wish the park had built the roller coaster elsewhere, possibly in Action Zone. I found an overview I made about a year-and-a-half ago, showing where the ride could've gone. Would've worked-out better for the park, in my opinion.

Regarding the actual photos from '74/'11, I like how several of the original trees are still standing. I know the placement in the photos doesn't line up exactly, but I'm pretty sure that the Refreshment Stand at top left is today's Refill Station (formerly Coney Refreshments, formerly Antique Treats).

• Like 1

While I love big, scary, roller coasters, it is sad to see how much the park has changed...now, Kings Island is all about thrills and excitement, when it's more about family fun than anything....in fact, I remember in standbyme's topic about the 1973 magazine, it said "family entertainment center"....it's not the same anymore....

• Like 1

Although it's not in the same league, the tower seems to me like KI's cinderella's castle...I've never been to a Disney park, but I can only imagine that they treat the area around that castle with some sacredness. Let's hope someone in charge starts feeling the same way. (yes, my references were deliberate, but just so happen to also relate so well!)

• Like 2

I only did Antique Cars a select few times and can't say I drastically miss them. Plus, I do enjoy Backlot Stunt Coaster...

I on the other hand have probably only ridden BSC once since the last KICentral Day!

I found an overview I made about a year-and-a-half ago, showing where the ride could've gone. Would've worked-out better for the park, in my opinion.

I agree, that would have made a MUCH better location for it, the theme is perfect...although I personally keep hoping for the park to make Action Zone "warmer" in the future by adding some landscaping.

JD - I've been waiting for days to get home and see these pics on something larger than the mobile skin on my phone, and they didn't disappoint now that the Dr's finally discharged me :)

Thank you for the efforts in pulling this together - I look forward to the future installments (won't you please consider posting on weekends?)

I see so many things about the park that I miss - the driving rides the most but things like the tunnel also, and have many fond memories of the park from a bygone era. I understand progress, but wish my kids had the chance to drive me on the 'Tiques like I did my Dad - it is something they love to do at any park with a similar ride. Although I have to admit they are also the ride on which I would most often get in trouble during my teenage park going years :)

• Like 1

You always have terrific ideas when posting pictures. My favorite thread on this site was the offseason blues photos you posted during the last offseason. I just showed my father these transitions. He loved seeing the changes made as he once lived in Cincy and attended the park when he was around my age. Looking forward to more transition pictures!

• Like 1

and if you look at the 1972 map compared to 2011 you can see a lot of change to the park

1972,http://www.themepark.../pki197x_1.html

2011, http://www.visitking...k/map/index.cfm

1972 was the closest year i could find but its close enough.

Ive been looking at this map for a while and just now noticed scooby riding the roller coaster.

• Like 2

JD as you know this stuff really fascinates me and I thank you much for your hard work and dedication to this project! Unfortunately with work being very busy and KIC taking a large backseat in my life for the past 2 years I do not check in here very often at all except to catch up with some friends thoughts.

Still I will check in when I can and see all these photos so please consider me good for a comment a day towards your goal even if I say nothing!

• Like 1

I had a park map/booklet that had a lot of drawings(instead of photos) and a description of the themed areas. It also mentioned the "well-trained" staff, ready to help you in any way that they can (what happened to this feature?) LOL

I am guessing that the photo renderings were because the park was not complete to take real pictures?

If I recall, the front cover had two cartoon characters riding Enchanted Voyage, which was a real picture not an artist's drawings.

Wish I could locate it.

Would this have been from the first year of operation?

• Like 1

I had a park map/booklet that had a lot of drawings(instead of photos) and a description of the themed areas. It also mentioned the "well-trained" staff, ready to help you in any way that they can (what happened to this feature?) LOL

I am guessing that the photo renderings were because the park was not complete to take real pictures?

If I recall, the front cover had two cartoon characters riding Enchanted Voyage, which was a real picture not an artist's drawings.

Wish I could locate it.

Would this have been from the first year of operation?

Boy, am I slow...The photo of the front cover of the booklet, is on KIC home page. Sorry. LOL

• Like 1

It may be getting old for me to say...but since it is true, I will keep saying it...thanks to everyone who is participating in this thread.

Today’s shot is not what I would call exciting...but I still like looking at it.

carousela.jpg

As a kid I was amazed how they could trim their bushes to resemble things! :rolleyes: It did kill the magic when I got old enough to realize that they weren’t sculpted bushes. (The strollers in this photo look so small compared to today’s monster-sized ones.)

carouselb.jpg

In the current landscapers defense, I don’t think my photo does this area justice, I think it does still look quite nice.

If I had pulled the shot back you could see that it is quite colorful with all of the flowers. (But since I was trying to match the exact shot...this is what you get.) Obviously The Tower sculpture is more impressive than a tree...but since there is still a tower sculpture by the bumper cars I am not upset that it is not here...plus God knows I would NEVER be upset that there was another tree somewhere in the park!

carouselc.jpg

Here is 2011 version of The Tower sculpture. When I first looked at the 1974 tower sculpture I thought to myself...”Well that’s kinda phallic looking”...but it has nothing on the this version! :lol:

This might be the only set of photos where it's a tie of where I would rather be standing...both are nice. :)

• Like 7

Here is 2011 version of The Tower sculpture. When I first looked at the 1974 tower sculpture I thought to myself...”Well that’s kinda phallic looking”...but it has nothing on the this version! :lol:

But yet it still looks like the tower. What does that say about France? haha. Thanks once again for the pictures.

• Like 1

Guest TombraiderTy

In the '74 picture, notice all the extra queues Carousel once had (alongside the current ones)- I wonder when/if they were ever filled :lol:

Regarding the Floral Tower, I love how the park still has a version of the display (alongside the Floral Clock, Date, Bell and, new this year, Dinosaur). Back in the 80s/90s (possibly before/after that, although I haven't been able to find any photos), the park would also make a display for the year's new ride. '88's was Amazon Falls, '91's was Adventure Express. The displays were right outside the main entrance and seemed to look pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing the park do something like this again :P

• Like 2