Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

^Hendrick, thanks again for doing these! (It gives ME something to look forward to! :) )

Still I will check in when I can and see all these photos so please consider me good for a comment a day towards your goal even if I say nothing!

Cory, it's nice to see you pop in here!

Today’s pictures are 2 of my favorites...for a couple of reasons.

The first reason is that I have always loved the floral calendar. (I wish it were nearer to the front...I think it would be used as a photo op more than the park can imagine.)

The second reason is because I had such a great day the day that I took the 2011 shot. :)

When I was working on the logistics of taking the 2011 shots I thought to myself how cool it would be to get a shot of the calendar on the same exact day as the original.

The problem with this idea was that my family already had a trip to the park scheduled for the week before July 24th which couldn’t be switched...and at that point I didn’t think there was ANY way I would be willing to drive all the way to the park just to take this shot...then came the announcement for this years’ “Coasting For Kids” event on July 24th! I had already wanted to do this...but when I saw the date I thought it was fate that I attend the event!

SO, back I drove the following week. Not only did I get the shot I needed, I helped a great charity, had a great time riding The Racer...and of course had a great time talking to fellow KIC members that day! (Win, win, win & win!)

calendara.jpg

calendarb.jpg

As for where I would rather be standing today...is there ANYONE here who can look at both pictures and not choose 1974? The landscaping department were certainly at the top of their game back then!

Today’s version looks nice but it pales in comparison to the 1974 version.

And here’s a side note, after studying these 2 photos I have an ever deeper appreciation of the floral calendar...and it has nothing to do with the actual calendar.

When I walk through the park sometimes and notice something I will wonder to myself, “I wonder if that’s still the original...”. Some things appear to be original...but you never know for sure if they had to replace parts of something because they rotted or broke. (Re-paints are easy to spot.)

Anyway, I was AMAZED that the stones in the wall are the same ones after all these years!

calendarc.jpg

One stone has broken in two...but other than that there is no doubt that these are still the same ones since 1974...and probably since 1972.

How many other things in the park can you think of that have remained mostly unchanged?

I like knowing that something like this has survived all these years! :)

• Like 9

Thanks once again standbyme ( and I'm sure I will be saying it again!) As for things in the park that are still original, there are some areas of wood on The Racer that still look original, haha. Namely, standing in line for WindSeeker, above the old Action Theater Entrance, one of the flex points has two pieces of wood that just slap together as the coaster goes over that part of the track.

• Like 1

Actually, I don't think the clock was present in 1972... it wasn't installed until the mid-1970s.

You would certainly know better than I...I just always thought it looked like the kind of a thing that would have been planned when they were laying out the park.

Thanks for enlightening me. :)

And the floral date actually had the old Kings Island logo up until about five years ago. At one point in time, I believe it also had the year listed on it as well.

And those two images show you how small a lot of the trees were inside of the park when it first opened in the early years. Many people take that for granted now!

• Like 1

I had a park map/booklet that had a lot of drawings(instead of photos) and a description of the themed areas. It also mentioned the "well-trained" staff, ready to help you in any way that they can (what happened to this feature?) LOL

I am guessing that the photo renderings were because the park was not complete to take real pictures?

If I recall, the front cover had two cartoon characters riding Enchanted Voyage, which was a real picture not an artist's drawings.

Wish I could locate it.

Would this have been from the first year of operation?

Would that be this brochure? http://www.KICentral.com/history/ki1972/

That is cool to see the superimposed pics.

I'm insanely remembering little spider monkeys on an island, was that at KI?

You're not insane. There was a monkey island at KI.

Regarding the Floral Tower, I love how the park still has a version of the display (alongside the Floral Clock, Date, Bell and, new this year, Dinosaur). Back in the 80s/90s (possibly before/after that, although I haven't been able to find any photos), the park would also make a display for the year's new ride. '88's was Amazon Falls, '91's was Adventure Express. The displays were right outside the main entrance and seemed to look pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing the park do something like this again :P

The Liberty Bell disappeared this year (unless it moved to another spot and I missed it). In it's place was a floral carousel horse. While the carousel horse was nice, the Liberty Bell was bigger and better in my opinion.

Actually, I don't think the clock was present in 1972... it wasn't installed until the mid-1970s.

You would certainly know better than I...I just always thought it looked like the kind of a thing that would have been planned when they were laying out the park.

Thanks for enlightening me. :)

The clock wasn't even there in 1974, as you can see in your '74 picture of Antiques. ;)

I'm a big fan of the floral features around the park, and this includes the calendar. I thought it looked good this year, but wow how much better it looked in '74!

Thanks for the pictures and this topic!

• Like 1

Guest TombraiderTy

And the floral date actually had the old Kings Island logo up until about five years ago. At one point in time, I believe it also had the year listed on it as well.

The last year for the year was '08 (seen here, vs '09 here). I wish that the park would return both the name and the year to the display.

And, a quick sidenote, the floral clock also once had the park name, seen here (year unknown, vs. '10 here).

The Liberty Bell disappeared this year (unless it moved to another spot and I missed it). In it's place was a floral carousel horse. While the carousel horse was nice, the Liberty Bell was bigger and better in my opinion.

I wasn't sure which display the park used this year. I did however notice that the structure the bell was hanging from was replaced/rebuilt this year, and it definitely needed it- check out this '70s vs. '09 comparison here.

The clock wasn't even there in 1974, as you can see in your '74 picture of Antiques. ;)

Like TOPGUN1993 pointed out, the clock used to be to the right of Eiffel Tower, where International Showplace is today. I'd assume it was relocated in '77 (the year Showplace opened).

riddle me this- how long was the theater in the picture there?

I could be wrong, but I think that the theater was removed when American Heritage Music Hall opened in '76.

Regarding the actual picture, one of my favorite things about it is how the Kings Island Theater advertises "Air Conditioned" on the side- I probably take that amenity for granted :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks once again standbyme.

I thank you for the thank you(s). I enjoyed putting this together…but when I read that it IS being appreciated it makes it all worthwhile.

^ Thanks Hendrick!

I can’t second this enough!

Thanks for the pictures and this topic!

I’m having fun sending you the pictures…I feel like I’m doing my part to “stick it to the man”!

I've been showing my mother and father these photos and they love it. Considering they both visited, worked, and met at the park back in the 80's.

I love this quote…it’s cool that you are passing these on…and to someone who is probably closer to my generation!

To everyone else who is still actively participating in this thread I once again say a BIG thanks! :)

Now, onto todays photos…

carsa.jpg

To me, this picture represents a park is at its peak, when the whole family is able to enjoy a ride at the same time.

carsb.jpg

This is one of those shots where I know I was within’ 3 feet of the original shot. It took me a long time going through old photos to find landmarks…trees, bushes, signs…BUT this is also one of the shots where if I tilted the camera a few inches one way or another it turns out a lot different. I THINK I have it right…Shaggy, Ty, Paul…anyone disagree?

As for where I would rather be standing today…just as before with the aerial shot of this area…when it comes to either the antique cars or Back Lot Stunt Coaster there’s no contest that i’m once again steppin’ back in time.

P.S. Can you imagine taking the date off of these photos and showing them to a non-park enthusiast and asking them which one is from 1974…the one with Snoopy, or the antique cars…hmmm. :rolleyes:

P.P.S. WARNING: Tomorrow’s photos will be a little anticlimactic…but you only have Gator & TG1993 to blame!

• Like 10

Guest TombraiderTy

Based off the angle and almost no remnants, I don't even think I would've attempted to replicate that '74 photo, so kudos to you for successfully accomplishing it :P

And while the Antique Cars were much more beautiful than Backlot Stunt Coaster, I can't deny that Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular is nice too. That area's atmosphere is very festive after dark and probably much more lively than the former tiques/lake/theater that used to be in the area.

Thanks again for doing and sharing these pictures- it's something to look forwards to every day :)

• Like 2

I haven't had time to get into this thread yet, kinda saving it as a cookie for later. Just read your initial post for the first time. J.D. This may be the single greatest improvement to the general tone of KIC, and I appreciate it and everyone else's efforts.

J.D. PM'd me cuz he teased me in a thread I never responded to and he wanted to be sure he hadn't offended me.

I sincerely thank you for all the cool stuff you do for this site! Now, of I can find some time to look at those pics

• Like 1

homst.jpg

Well, as warned…today’s photos turn out to be a little anticlimactic. Ironically enough, the person who kind of killed the “interesting” factor of the 2011 shot is the same person that I originally went to for help months back when I was trying to figure out where to stand, Paul/TOPGUN1993! (The “interesting” factor for me was that the clock was not located over by The Antique cars as I would have originally thought.)

After digging through all of the photos that I could find of 1974, I could not find a nice close-up shot of the clock’s 1974 position…so when I am looking for a certain shot of the park I have learned to go to Paul. (If you ever happen to see a “Hoarders” episode where the guy has thousands of Kings Island photos, you’re looking at Paul!)

This is the shot that I had to give me the general idea of it’s location:

clockc.jpg

And this is the close-up that Paul located for me.

clockd.jpg

Let me say, that out of all 31 photos that I did, this was THE hardest for me…and the only one that I am still not quite sure of. When I look at the faraway shot I feel pretty confident that I succeeded in getting the shot…but every time I look at the overhead aerial shot I keep having doubts that I was quite in the right place.

I look forward to hearing from the “experts” if they think this one is correct or not…I can take it! ;)

(I almost didn’t even post this photo because of my uncertainty.)

clocka.jpg

Even if the next shot isn’t correct I still like looking at how nice the clock looked back then.

clockb.jpg

I KNOW that even if this shot’s location is correct, I should have tilted the camera up a hair…but to be honest I just wanted to get this shot and move on!

As I mentioned in my first post, when I took these I would look at my work photo…usually hold it up to verify I was getting what I needed…plus in this case I kept walking back and forth in about a 10 foot area trying to zero in on what I thought was the right spot.

WELL, if you look at the photo you will notice the two people standing there. It started to get a little awkward for me because the guy kept looking over at me…so after finding what I thought was the correct area I quickly took 2 shots and moved on.

And as for where I would rather be...1974 or 2011...some may find it surprising...but I choose 1974. I say this because I never go to the shows at the theater...and since the clock looks so good I choose it!

I hope that you are still finding these interesting…and thanks for the feedback!

(And to Gator & Paul I hope you know I don’t really think you’re stupid. :) )

• Like 8