Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

Great idea and an even greater job with the retake of these pictures, they look awesome. I was a teenager back when the park opened so I was not thinking about pictures back then and it is nice to see what I missed as well as what has changed. I myself just came across old Cp photos my parents took from the mid 70's and may try to do the same thing next year. Keep the pictures coming.

• Like 1

...keep in mind is that you didn't know what millimeter the lens size was on the original photos. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but not having that information definitely would make it more difficult to duplicate.

I hadn't thought of that.

I did stumble upon some photos my dad took from the Eiffel Tower looking towards Timberwolf…and you can see Viking Fury plain as day, and... Festhaus was under construction!

I would love to see these…I have only seen one far-a-way shot of the Festhaus construction.

I also appreciate that you took time to sign in to post your thoughts! :)

The thing I remember most about our first trip to KI was walking through the covered walkway and words cannot describe how magical it was.

I wish I could say that I had a shot coming up of the inside of the tunnel…but I don’t. I agree it seemed magical when I was a kid. I remember walking through it at night…as cool as it was in the daytime…at night it seemed so peaceful.

fountaina.jpg

Anyone who looked down upon the fountain from the tower in 1974 just HAD to have been impressed. Looking down at the fountain is still great...but seeing these sculpted bushes from up there just HAD to have been awe-inspiring! (Sidenote, look at the skyride cars down there!)

fountainb.jpg

Where would I rather be standing today? Shockingly, at least to me, I choose 2011!

Why, because even though the 1974 shot looks amazing from the tower...when I am down on “street level” I can’t imagine not having all of those trees all around.

Sitting next to the 1974 fountain in the summer would be about as much fun as it is roasting by the wave pool in Boomerang Bay.

I love sitting underneath the trees just watching the fountain.

Thanks again, again for all the comments...and once again to Hendrick for the great work! :)

• Like 11

I love the fountain. It's such an awe-inspiring entrance for a park between the fountain and the Eiffel Tower. I don't really think there is any park that captures that magic of an amusement park when you enter the way Kings Island (and by default, Kings Dominion) does.

As a side note, I'm guessing back in 1974 the women's restroom was split in two, as the building that houses the Men's restroom does not exist? That's one of my favorite parts of your pictures is finding the things that are not like the other, but that blend in so well.

• Like 1

Trees...Better..... Asphalt in July...... Too Hot!!!!!

I'm curious about that green grassy patch at the end of the fountain by the entrance. That must have been a bear to keep healthy, could you walk on it? Why was it there?....What does it MEAN????

• Like 1

I've seen old pictures of the fountain and often thought, geez that looks so much better than today. But when I look at these 2, there is no doubt that the fountain area looks better today than in 1974. Not only the trees, but the coloring on the buildings looks much better.

Thanks again

• Like 1

What are those in the upper left corner of the 1974 shot, right next to where the restrooms are now? Are those picnic tables?

That was my guess.

Trees...Better..... Asphalt in July...... Too Hot!!!!!

I'm curious about that green grassy patch at the end of the fountain by the entrance.

That is astroturf. I THINK that was the area the parachuters would land on.

Guest TombraiderTy

I did stumble upon some photos my dad took from the Eiffel Tower looking towards Timberwolf (The Beach Boys were playing there the day we were at the park), and you can see Viking Fury plain as day, and... Festhaus was under construction! I was amazed, always thought it was always there! But, consulting the maps here at KIC, I realized it wasn't! I'll have to share the photos I have managed to save, scanning off of negatives.

Like many other members, I'd love to see these photos :)

What shop was that in the old picture? It looks like stuffed animals in the window.

According to a 1974 brochure, it was "Fiera degli Animali (Animal Fair)"

I like both the International Street photos (especially the overview- the '74 and '11 photos are seemingly exact). And a tree-less International Street would definitely be a bit hotter, but when you think about it, it couldn't be too different than Magic Kingdom's Main Street :P

• Like 1

And a tree-less International Street would definitely be a bit hotter, but when you think about it, it couldn't be too different than Magic Kingdom's Main Street :P

You are 100% correct...but whenever I am at Magic Kingdom I never have the time to just stand around to relax (or get hot) on Main Street. ;)

Very interesting picture. From ground level, I've always thought I'd prefer the old style to the fountains, but with the tower view, I understand what everyone is saying. I do like the old surround to the fountains, but prefer the trees. I also noted that in the '74 picture, there are sidewalks to the storefronts and then the area where people are walking (Disney Main Street Style) whereas today its all one surface.

• Like 1

Today’s photo set is one of those “probably should have tilted the camera a few inches” ones. I found the proper place to stand pretty easily. (I found an aerial of the 1974 area and superimposed it onto a 2011 shot.) I am not sure though if I have the direction quite correct...i’m thinking that maybe I should have pointed my camera a little more towards the right. (Not that the shot would have been anymore interesting! :lol: )

kentonsa.jpg

I know that most of the posters here mourn the loss of The Flying Eagles...but to me, I miss Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal a LOT more. (Second only to the Antique Cars.)

kentonsb.jpg

Nothing to see here...just keep moving!

It goes without saying that there is no contest for me for where I would rather be standing today...1974 wins by a mile. In my opinion, the ONLY thing that Tomb Raider: The Ride EVER had going for it was it’s excellent theming...Kenton’s Keelboats were a lot more fun! :)

• Like 10

But you also now have Diamondback in the picture too! I'd say that is more fun than Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal! Granted that likely could have been built over and around KCKC/the lake. Can you imagine?

"Can't see the forest for the trees"...you are right, I was looking right past Diamondback...you have changed my mind, I would much rather have Diamondback...although if I could have it & KCKC that WOULD be perfect! :)

• Like 1