Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here! :)

monkeya.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, whoever took the 1974 photos must have loved the Lion Country Safari area.

monkeyb.jpg

This was one of the 2 photos in the series where even though I knew where to stand, it wasn’t possible/legal to do so!

In the end though I think I came really close to “faking it”...I think the shot came out really close to what I would have gotten if I could have stood in the actual spot.

Here is where I SHOULD have been:

monkeyc.jpg

As you can see...security would have been all over me if I tried to be accurate! :lol:

Today...as if anyone couldn’t guess...I choose to stand in 2011 because that means I get to ride Congo Falls! :)

• Like 8

This is one of those threads where you want to say some equally cool to what J.D. has created... yeah no words can do that. All I can do is say thanks for re-ignighting so many memories and just... I don't know.

The work your doing could make an amazing book or historical document of some kind. People are fascinated by these photos whether they like KI or not. Honestly, I think KI management would be foolish to not contract you if you continue to do this high caliber of work... and yes I know "they're" reading this.

I would gladly pay $30-40 for 30 pages. Now, if you could partner with some our members here to compile the insane amount of historical data that floats through this place... There is a lot af value there my friend. I truly wish someone takes advantage of what you've done because it SHOULD BE PUBLISHED. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you again J.D. and I'll start remembering and posting some of the things people are telling my about your work.

• Like 1

Today’s photo set pretty much speaks for itself...not too much I can add.

I will say that this one was SO easy to find the exact spot to stand in it was ridiculous...but even with that, I PURPOSELY didn’t match the shot exactly. In my 2011 shot I bent down a little...otherwise a lot of the photo would have been of the orange “Finish” sign. This is the only photo in the series that I felt it was better not to match as close as I could. (That is why the trough in the foreground is farther away.)

kingsmilla.jpg

kingsmillb.jpg

Where would I rather be standing today? I can’t really say. I like parts of the 1974 look...like the clearly visible stone arches by the water...but the 2011 version is nice and colorful. The thing that MIGHT sway me to 2011 is the thought of those long 1974 lines! :P

I haven’t said this in 3 days...so I would just like to say that I sincerely appreciate the ACTIVE participants in this thread...even if it’s “only” a simple click of the “Like” button. :)

• Like 25

Now from the descriptions of the pictures, I think I'd have to agree with you on where I'd rather be... 1974 for the first one and 2011 for the second. I loved walking through the ivy tunnel as a kid. Too bad they got rid of it... was it really that hard to maintain? :blink:

Not too sure that's it's really that hard to maintain.They still have one at KD.SFOG also has one.

• Like 1

Now from the descriptions of the pictures, I think I'd have to agree with you on where I'd rather be... 1974 for the first one and 2011 for the

second. I loved walking through the ivy tunnel as a kid. Too bad they got rid of it... was it really that hard to maintain? :blink:

Not too sure that's it's really that hard to maintain.They still have one at KD.SFOG also

has one.

So does Carowinds, with an optional left turn to rest rooms, even!

• Like 2

^ I have yet to go but hope to next year and will now probably make a destination of said left just for the hello of it.

Of course, I'm not sure about heading that way next year and I'll really be disappointed if I can't renew my KD pass at Carowinds... or CP, KI or online for that matter. But what would you expect from the place that charges you for not costing them the resource, of employee time at pass processing, by renewing online :unsure:

Burn those Blackberry game devices :rolleyes:

• Like 1

And yet, at one time, the flume, a Coney Island original, was going to be removed. Announcement was made, last rides (rites?) were given, and the ride closed.

Thank goodness that decision got changed....

Same with Flight of Fear! Not ours, but still...

• Like 1

My how time does fly. 2ooo.

http://www.lifthill.com/water-rides/the-wild-thornberrys-river-adventure/

I still remember what I thought was my last ride in 1999, crying out of sorrow and at the stupidity of a management that would remove such a fine Arrow flume. Little did I know it was a different Arrow flume that would soon meet its doom.

• Like 3

I love this one as the flume has always been one of my favorites. A few things I noticed:

- Wow has the operator booth and the support for the lift/hill changed over the years

- I prefer the lack of color, the lack of a shield on the left of the lift

- Although not in the picture, I think I'd prefer 1974 and knowing that the working water wheel was there to look at as well (also, not a fan of the current spitting snoopy)

And yet, at one time, the flume, a Coney Island original, was going to be removed. Announcement was made, last rides (rites?) were given, and the ride closed.

Thank goodness that decision got changed....

I can now go to bed as I've learned something new today. Must have missed this and agree with the sentiment.

• Like 1

Today’s photo set isn’t really a great way to start out the week...but it is what it is, sorry.

landscapinga.jpg

landscapingb.jpg

There is not a whole lot to look at in either photo...about the only thing that I can appreciate in the 1974 photo is that it shows just how intricate the bushes were around the fountain.

Where I would rather be standing today is easy. In my opinion there is no contest between 1974 & 2011...1974 not only has nicer landscaping at the foot of the fountain...it doesn’t have any flagpoles blocking the fountains view. I am not un-patriotic...I just liked the unobstructed view of the fountain better. (I wish the park would have put the a single larger U.S. flag at the head of the fountain instead.)

I am guessing that there are several KIC’ers who will choose to be back in 1974 if only because there isn’t a Keyhole Photo booth in the shot! :lol:

P.S. Thanks to all of the responses that I received over the last few days...and once again, again...thanks to Hendrick for continuing to give ME something to look forward to daily! :)

• Like 13

Guest TombraiderTy

I like the bush designs that encompassed the fountains, plus the fact that International Street was more “boxed in” without a pathway to Action Zone (similar to most Disney parks’ “Main Street”), but I’d gladly trade the two for all new expansions and additions we’ve seen to the area. The pathway to Action Zone and all its rides, the Kings Island Theater, and even Dinosaurs Alive – all part of today’s pictures, and all great additions.

With the 2011 photo though, one thing I’ve never understood is why there are telescopes at the foot of the fountain. I guess that guests could look at the Eiffel Tower and clearly see the guests on one of the top platforms, but I have a hard time imagining why anybody would want to do that. I guess the fact that they’re still present after all these years though simply suggests that they are profitable.

Oh, and regarding Friday's picture of the flume - I don't mind the Snoopy theme, but I was a tad hopeful that the flume (and maybe even the former Phantom Flyers) would both be "moved" from the children's area to Rivertown when the area was rebranded in 2010. Oh well, one can dream :P

• Like 1