Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

I will simply say that for me 2011 wins. I did ride the monorail back in the day...but I can't say as I have any fond memories of it...so 2011 wins by default. :)

Didn't ride it much, but always enjoyed the monorail and animals so would choose 1974 on this one, although I have to admit I am surprised that the track came toward what is now Action Zone as far as it did. I always thought it was further back, although the sketch in TombraiderTy's thread http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23540&view=findpost&p=421006 seems to show it coming into the Skyflyer area (although maybe not as far as Drop Tower).

The "islands" have been there as long as the park has, as seen below:

0021jpg.jpg

April 29, 1972. Photo courtesy Paul Holzschuher.

Regarding the '74/'11 comparison, I think this is one of my favorite shots so far. I like how similar the shots are and how many buildings and attractions have survived. Once again, thanks for taking the time, energy, etc. to put all of this together, J.D. :)

You can see in this pic how The Racer's exit was originally on the opposite side

Thanks - I knew someone would have a quick and correct answer.

Although this picture does raise a question for me - I've talked to The Interpreter about Racer in its early years before and believe he has said that he thought at one time Racer loaded from the outside and exited from the middle of the station. This picture sure looks like it shows loading from the middle and exiting from the outside (although the exit is on the Subway/Monster side of the queue house - which I remember from my 80's visits).

Final thought on the picture - another ride is shown (Tumble Bug) that unfortunately made way for a basketball game.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who vastly prefers the old exit location to the new one, which gives you a nice view of what's obviously a backstage area.

Yup, it's time for my "backstage area" rant. How easy would it be for KI to block guest view of that dumpster behind Starbucks that's visible over the fence? Or the blue siding that makes up the backs of the International Street buildings? Or even closing the big gates that seem to be left open for convenience, many of which give great glimpses of how KI handles its trash. It's disappointing that such easy things to fix (ok, maybe not the blue siding) are ignored year after year. And don't get me started on the odors anywhere near the dumpsters...

• Like 1

Well, as promised, today’s photo set is a little more interesting to look at than yesterdays. (You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life… :rolleyes: )

racea.jpg

The Dad in this photo doesn’t look too thrilled to be riding in the car…but I bet in the long run it was a good memory.

raceb.jpg

As you can see by the cornstalks this photo wasn’t taken at the same time as the others…I didn’t quite get the shot I needed in the summer so I had to retake this one…out of 31 shots this was the only one that I had to do this with. Not bad odds eh?!

So, where would I rather be standing today 1974 or 2011…this is one of the few shots where I could go either way. I think the cars would be about as much fun as Surf Dog…if I HAD to choose I would go with 2011 because I know that one of my nephew’s favorite rides (Peanuts Off-Road Rally) is back behind Surf Dog.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

• Like 12

2011, without a doubt. Not only is Surf Dog my wifes favorite ride, it is also one of mine. We've had alot of fun riding Surf Dog with our son. (My older daughter won't ride it as she doesn't like much anything more intense than Boo Blasters! :P )

• Like 1

Actually, I think Bank-a-ball and most of those other carnival games might be set up to favor the park. Just guessing.

'74 definitely. Muchly prefer grass to monstrous fabric turtles!

They may be difficult, but they're not rigged.

Didn't say "rigged". Being set up to favor the park makes business sense to me. Maybe those big ol' turtles will help bring a coaster in 2013.

• Like 1

standbyme, ive not had the time to login and comment with everything i have going on, but i do check back every few days to look at the new photos. sorry i havent showed any "supposrt" sooner. anyways...i LOVE your photos!! they are AMAZING! it's awesome that you took so much time, and worked so hard to do this project :) i really hope you can maybe do some more next year. i look forward to seeing the comparisons you have left in the coming days :) thanks so much for this!

• Like 1

Actually, I think Bank-a-ball and most of those other carnival games might be set up to favor the park. Just guessing.

'74 definitely. Muchly prefer grass to monstrous fabric turtles!

They may be difficult, but they're not rigged.

Didn't say "rigged". Being set up to favor the park makes business sense to me. Maybe those big ol' turtles will help bring a coaster in 2013.

I believe the smaller prizes cost less than the game does to play, so they make money either way.

• Like 1

Another photo set, another week!

Back when I posted the shot from Congo Falls of Stunt Crew Grill I mentioned that it was 1 of 2 photos in this series that I couldn't duplicate exactly because it would be illegal to stand where the original photo was taken...today's photo is the second photo.

I could not stand exactly where the original photographer did. I am guessing that the 1974 photo was taken from the old exit of The Racer, so to have taken the exact photo I would of had to stand in the grass area next to The Racer's queue house.(Is that what's it's called?) I do think I came pretty close...but the angle is not quite right.

racera.jpg

racerb.jpg

Where I would rather be standing today is no contest. I love in the 1974 photo how the viewers/watchers could stand so close to the train as it was getting ready to head up the hill. (That would have been a great photo/video op!) Plus since The Racer has the cool red, white & blue paintjob, 1974 wins by a mile!

Once again...since I haven't annoyed anyone by saying it for a few days...thanks to everyone for the comments and "Likes"...it keeps my enthusiasm going. :)

Also, thanks again to Hendrick for continuing to make the fades! :)

• Like 21