Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

J.D. Ki should give you a free pass or something for this. Even if your... nostalgia leaning :lol:

Can't you just imagine this in the Museum of KI History - JD's photo's as mounted 11x14 prints side by side, with Hendricks fades playing underneath on a tv screen - all surrounding a scale model of the park from the early 70's. In the next room, various signs/ride vehicles/images from rides gone by, followed by ...

Sorry, here I go dreaming again - although I still say it would be an awesome attraction.

• Like 6

J.D. Ki should give you a free pass or something for this. Even if your... nostalgia leaning :lol:

Can't you just imagine this in the Museum of KI History - JD's photo's as mounted 11x14 prints side by side, with Hendricks fades playing underneath on a tv screen - all surrounding a scale model of the park from the early 70's. In the next room, various signs/ride vehicles/images from rides gone by, followed by ...

Sorry, here I go dreaming again - although I still say it would be an awesome attraction.

I think that would be a good theme for a nice sit down restaurant at the park.

Kings Island Inn, perhaps?

• Like 1

Sounds like a five star attraction. Or a 22 star attraction!

Terp, he of the obscure yet relevant references

Ah. I remember those Five Star Attraction signs quite well. I`m not sure what all was considered a Five Star Attraction, but am fairly confident that the Eiffel Tower was one of them.

• Like 1

Another excellent job! :D

While the mature trees of 2011 do more for guest comfort, I have a hard time not picking the properly scaled, polished, and detailed scene from 1974. The charming patio umbrellas, unique merchandise in the shop windows, and the more convincing streetscape are all wonderful, from a design perspective.

• Like 1

The charming patio umbrellas, unique merchandise in the shop windows, and the more convincing streetscape are all wonderful, from a design perspective.

You are right about these things, especially the unique merchandise part. :)

As I mentioned, today's photo set is a lot better than yesterdays!

There's not too much to say about the set...it pretty much speaks for itself.

scoobya.jpg

Look at the line for The Enchanted Voyage...I remember that on my first ever visit to the park we rode that at least 3 times. When you were young it really was magical.

scoobyb.jpg

The area certainly has changed.

As for where I would rather be standing with today's photo set...that's a toughie. I am sure that if I rode the Enchanted Voyage today at my current age that it wouldn't seem nearly as special...so today I think I will say that 2011 is just fine and that way I can always cherish my memories of the old Happy Land of Hanna-Barbera Land the way I remember it. ;)

EDIT:

And here is today's fade thanks to Hendrick!

scoobyc.gif

• Like 14

My favorite one so far, probably because w/ a 2 (now 3) year old in tow this year, we spent half our time in this area, and the other half on the viking ship, scrambler & monster (well his mother and him on the last 2 anyways as I don't do spinning rides)

I like the blue paint job on The Beastie better than the original yellow, though I do wish the tunnel, whenever that came into play was put back. The tree growth is definently nice on a hot summer evening, and there's more "thrills" packed in for a kid who hasn't meet a ride he hasn't liked yet.

I agree that the enchanted voyage was enjoyable when I was a kid, but I have little doubt my son enjoys boo blasters far more than he would have enjoyed enchanted voyage. Now if they could just get all the guns to work, there would be little to complain about in kids land.

• Like 1

Right at first, I thought your angle was really off, standbyme. Then I compared the position of Scooby Doo to Woodstock Express, and it's actually almost perfect. That area of the park's just really different! I never knew the entrance to Enchanted Voyage was where it was, too. I figured that path was put there just for CarnEvil.

As always, thanks for uploading these!

• Like 2

This is definitely one of the better sets (not that any of them have been bad). I never realized that Surf Dog was right on the edge of the park like that. Guess I never really paid much attention. To look at the first picture, it seems amazing they were able to squeeze the First Aid Add-on in there. Thanks again kind sir!

• Like 1

Awesome Job on the Pictures. This is a Topic I look forward to every day. Having said that, I'll go against what alot of people are saying on here and say I'll go with the 74 pics on almost off of them simply because of the Lack of Trees! The park looked so New and well kept and not cluttered without all the dense foliage all over the place. Would have loved to have seen all the carefully trimmed hedges on International Street and going up the Eiffel Tower and looking off and seeing rides ad people insted of Trees! Not that I have anything against trees, but IMO, Its overkilled!

• Like 1

that's incredible- your picture is SPOT-ON. I'm sorry, but has anyone from KI/CF contacted any of you yet. This is probably better historical media than they have.

Excellent stuff!

I honestly just sit here and laugh at how amazing this is and... well we'll see whatever becomes of it but if it isn't at least published as a book of side-by-side frames, well... KI is leaving some easy money on the table!

Edit to add: If I worked for the local Chamber of Commerce I would want it, especially for tourism advertisements and conventions and stuff.

• Like 1

I think it would be interesting to be able to tour KI's various maintenance buildings, garages, offices, boardrooms, etc. I would think the planning of these various "infrastructure" buildings was as complex as the park itself when they built the park.

• Like 2

I think it would be interesting to be able to tour KI's various maintenance buildings, garages, offices, boardrooms, etc. I would think the planning of these various "infrastructure" buildings was as complex as the park itself when they built the park.

There isn't much interesting backstage. The offices are exactly that... offices. With some cool KI stuff, yes, but they're pretty much just offices.

• Like 1

Wow, lots of fun comments on yesterday's photos...it IS appreciated. I can't thank you enough for making this worth my while. :)

My favorite one so far, probably because w/ a 2 (now 3) year old in tow this year, we spent half our time in this area, and the other half on the viking ship, scrambler & monster...

I can identify with this totally! If you aren't at the park with a little one it's like the kiddie area doesn't exist...and if you are with a little one the rest of the park vanishes...but happily. ;)

This is definitely one of the better sets (not that any of them have been bad).

No offense taken at all...I will be the first to admit that there are some boring shots here...but I just figured that boring was better than nothing.

I'll go with the 74 pics on almost off of them simply because of the Lack of Trees! The park looked so New and well kept and not cluttered without all the dense foliage all over the place. Would have loved to have seen all the carefully trimmed hedges on International Street and going up the Eiffel Tower and looking off and seeing rides and people instead of trees!

I agree with you in a way...if I were judging JUST from the tower, and JUST by the looks and not the rides, 1974 would win most of the time with me. :)

I miss that giant compass on top of EV. It was such a nice touch.

I miss it too...it was simple yet added SO much!

Today's photo set is one of MY personal favorites!

skyridea.jpg

I just love looking at the skyride from this angle, it is so colorful! Even though the skyride scared me as a kid I really wish it were still around...although I can completely understand why it was removed. Also notice the cool strand of hanging lights!

skyrideb.jpg

See the tree, how big it's grown...but friend, it hasn't been too long, it wasn't big...

(One of the worst songs of all time...but my mom used to play it a lot. She used to have it on a vinyl 7" single...which everyone called a "45"...until the early 90's when the "kids" started calling them "singles"...then by the late 90's the major record companies called them extinct...but luckily there's still some indie companies still carrying the torch!)

There is absolutely no doubt that I would love to be back in 1974 with this set of photos.

• Like 11