Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

I like the blue paint job on The Beastie better than the original yellow, though I do wish the tunnel, whenever that came into play was put back.

Tunnel was added in 1979 with the opening of The Beast and the ride changing names from The Scooby Doo to The Beastie. The tunnel was removed whatever year Paramount changed it to The Fairly OddCoaster. I always thought the tunnel would have made a great entry to Fairy World, put up a big POOF! over the tunnel, and there ya go... Oh well, we're not the big decision makers.

And still loving the pictures, standbyme! I'll get the ones from the time of the Festhaus construction up soon. As for me, '74 wins in most pictures. The park had a MUCH more magical, "escape-from-daily-life" feel back then. Again, I miss the sidewalks and curbs on International Street, it looked so open and easy to walk down then. But I know they had to make everything more easily accomodated. It's just that now it always feels so cramped walking down IS, especially on the righ-hand side heading toward the Tower. I miss the theming and landscaping from back then, as well. I do have to say the landscaping seems to be getting better since CF took over... Paramount killed a lot of the charm of the park, in my opinion.

• Like 2

I do have to say the landscaping seems to be getting better since CF took over... Paramount killed a lot of the charm of the park, in my opinion.

I have to agree with this. Just taking the park for what it is presently, without any comparisons to the past, I think Cedar Fair has it looking fantastic.

• Like 1

Coasterz... I think the "footing" of the tower is actually gone as of last year. I went to go look for it last summer and, and someone can correct me, I think it's gone.

I think it might have been removed when the front of Hank's was reconfigured for the show grill?

Nevermind, didn't realize it was in back.

• Like 1

Thanks J.D. lol I have to many albums (one for each visit) Most are Beast now.

Since I'm kinda bored I'm going to post how many photos I have per year....

2006 = 2,795

2007 = 4,925

2008 = 7,722

2009 = 5,557

2010 = 4,543

2011 = 5,330

&

Old KI Photos saved = 1,985

I should create a game about people guessing if I have a photo. Like name something random/practical at the park and see if I have a photo.

K bye

• Like 2

i stand corrected... with photo evidence.

I hope you know that it was in no way my intention to "prove you wrong". (I am the first to admit that I am not "Mr. Observant") I did not even know myself if it was or wasn't still there...you made me have to search through my photos to see if I missed that this year! Believe me...when I type ANYTHING that I think I know about the park I just sit back and wonder if the experts are going to shoot down my observation. :lol:

I like the 1974 shot in today's set...when I was going through these shots after I purchased them this one caught my eye because I am used to only seeing faraway shots of the slide. :)

slidea.jpg

I wonder why these type of slides fell by the wayside? I remember them being quite a bit of fun...and just this summer my nephews rode a small one at a local carnival and seemed to have a blast.

slideb.jpg

Not much to look at in this shot...but as we all know, if this shot were pulled back Zephyr is quite the nice looking ride.

Where would I rather be today? Well, at the risk of proving 74Gibson correct...I lean towards 1974 for a second day in a row. Zephyr is a nice looking ride but it seems to be the kind of a ride that is hit and miss with a lot of my family...when one is in the mood to ride it another one isn't...I can't remember when everyone wanted to ride it at the same time. That would probably be true with the slides too...but at least the non-riders would have a good time watching the riders...unlike on Zephyr where everyone is a quick blur as they go by...it's not even a nice photo op.

Have a nice weekend...which is tough for me to say since I am looking out the window at snow!

• Like 9

This is a tough one. I kind of agree with you, the slide is a attraction you just don't see much of anymore. I'm sure it was alot of fun. But I think I will have to go with the Zephyr, which is a pretty neat ride itself. This one was very close and was a tough choice.

• Like 1

wow the kids land picture is great, and as is the sky ride.

Both with the exception of the enchanted voyage, and the sky ride I have to pick today.

But great photo shots,,,,keep them coming!!!

Sure wish Ki would bring back a enchanted voyage ride soon,,,Peanuts themed?

Yes a sky ride would be cool.....

• Like 1

Standbyme, I've been having a hard time lately and I just wanted to say thank you for this. I always look forward to it and it puts a smile on my face everyday. We all appriciate your hard work. Hendrick, thank you for your amazing work as well.

P.S. As for 1974 or 2011, my vote has to go to 1974. Giant Slides always bring back such great memories. :)

• Like 2

Here's my take on the last three sets of photos:

Wednesday - Hanna Barbera vs. Planet Snoopy: 1974 wins by a slight margin.

Surf Dog is an advantage for 2011, but Enchanted Voyage > Boo Blasters and Winsome Witch's Cauldrons > Charlie Brown's Wind Up. Enchanted Voyage may be dated as some of you have said, but that was a boat ride that was on par with "it's a small world"... I'm sure KI's designers drew inspiration from that ride. From the friendly snail out front ("Have a Happy Day!") to the giant Gulliver holding the Lilliputians in his hand, to the "dark" section of the ride that used to scare me as a kid, to exiting through the giant clown's mouth, and all the wonderful characters that "live in my TV", the animatronics in Enchanted Voyage are much better that the 2-dimensional cutouts of Boo Blasters.

And Winnie Witch's Cauldrons... I loved that ride! (as well as Der Spinnin' Keggers). My sister and I used to spin it as fast as we could to see how dizzy we could make ourselves, all the while watching Winsome Witch fly around above us and waiting for that cat to pop out of that tree as we spun by. Today, GatorGirl marvels at how fast I can spin us on teacup type rides, and once she asked me why I'm so good at it. The reason is I had so much practice on Cauldrons! It was a great ride that families could ride together.

Thursday - Sky Ride vs. Outer Hanks Patio: 1974 wins

I never got to ride the Sky Ride at KI. My mom never trusted it so she never took us on it. That's probably why to this day, whenever I'm on a sky ride, I'm holding on for dear life. Just ask DaveStroem's wife and daughter when they rode the sky ride at SFGAdv with me, or anyone who's ridden with me on CP's: I'm white knuckling it. Something about hanging from a seemingly thin wire just gets my adrenaline going... yes, sky rides to me are thrill rides! :lol:

Friday - Flying Carpet vs. Zephyr: 1974 wins, again by a slight margin

I loved the giant slide, even when it got chopped in length and moved to HB Land, and to this day when I see one I am more than happy to ride it. With Flying Carpet there were soooo many lanes, and it was fun to see if I could beat everyone else down (kind of like a few of us from here did on Jungle Racer at HW this year during Holiwood Nights, which, for the record, I did win! :lol:). The little three lane ones like at Coney are not quite the same as Flying Carpet, but still fun.

I love Zephyr, it's a nice relaxing ride. But, as I jokingly said several times this year, after riding WindSeeker, Zephyr is dead to me now! OK, not really, but now I would ride WS before Zephyr... the thing is though GatorGirl will be tall enough for Zephyr next year and not WS... hmmm...

• Like 2

i really wish they still had this i took my daughter on one at a county fair and she loved it. It seems they only like keeping rides that require electricity :-). p.s. this is my favorite thread of all time in this forum(the person(s) who made the history of ki and the history of the wildlife part of the park get a close 2nd though i forget which one of you made it :-) )

• Like 1

...(the person(s) who made the history of ki and the history of the wildlife part of the park get a close 2nd though i forget which one of you made it :-) )

I appreciate the kind words. I linked to one of your favorites in my first post of this thread. It was TombraiderTy who put together the VERY fine history of the Lion Country Safari. (Among other great threads.) I am not sure which thread you are thinking of when you mention the KI history one though. I tried to search for it but couldn’t figure it out...but while searching I did wander across this thread from KIFan73 which is coming up on it’s 1 year anniversary...there are some great shots in this thread...and knowing that he loves to take park photos...maybe next year he can show us what these would look like in 2012 on their 40th Anniversary! (Although the one’s from the skyride will be a tough project! :P )

I would like to say that there have been SO many fine threads on this site over the years I would personally have a tough time choosing even my Top 10. There are a lot of awesome threads that just don’t seem to get the recognition that they deserve.

I would also like to say that this thread would not have been possible if I didn’t have some “go to” posters. If I had a question about what something in a photo was...or to verify where I should stand...or I needed a certain old park shot to use as a reference I was fortunate enough that there are members on this site who are more than happy to help me out. (Which in turn helped make this thread more accurate...and me look less like a fool!)

...but while searching I did wander across this thread from KIFan73 which is coming up on it’s 1 year anniversary...there are some great shots in this thread...

So glad you linked to this thread as I think somehow I missed it on its first incarnation - but I have to share some bad news with you as you seem to have lost a year :P By my calculations since it was "Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:44 PM" that makes it almost 2 years old

Edit - and one other thing, I got super excited and clicked over to look at a picture when I saw that you'd posted in this thread. Unfortunately I forgot it was Saturday :(

• Like 1

I've always been a little curious as to why the park got rid of the slide. I never rode it (as I think it was removed before I was born), but it seems like a good attraction for young guests that wouldn't cost too much to maintain. There must have been more to it than meets the eye.

As always, the pictures are great, standbyme! They've really helped the off-season go by.

• Like 1

It left before what would have become ADA concerns. Believe it or not, those slides have high injury rates. Nowhere near as high as inflatables do, though.

Stricker's Grove had a slide. It, too, is gone.

The ride ops used to use car wax to wax the slides. And some shopping centers had slides permanently installed in their parking lots.

• Like 2