Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

Good morning...or afternoon to you late sleepers!

I miss the animal safari with a passion; it was a place you could go and unwind and reconnect with nature for a bit.

When you put it like this I agree, I love nature. ("I love the outdoors, whenever i'm not indoors that's where you'll find me." - Frank Burns)

The problem I have nowadays is no matter how much I like seeing exotic animals, I can't get it out of the back of my head how much happier most of them would be out in the wild. :(

I wish I was around when the parked looked like this.

But that would make you old...too! :P

Today’s photo set is a slightly different...because it’s not quite in the park.

trama.jpg

I have some fond memories of the trams...it seemed so magical to wait and board them and be taken to the park. (Although now that I am older I can’t imagine wasting my time waiting for one when I could just walk and be at the entrance faster. ) The two things that caught my attention in this photo are:

A. The boy in his tube socks...oh what a time period...the boys of today don’t know what they missed having those “cool” fashion accessories. :lol:

(The only downside of having the striped socks is that you had to find a matching pair...nowadays I just grab any two white socks in my drawer.)

B. The lady on the back of the tram looking up...it’s like she’s just thinking “I wonder if it’s gonna rain today”.

tramb.jpg

Where would I rather be today...1974 or 2011? Well if I base it solely on these two photos I would say that I would go for 2011 because I think the trams are a waste of gas...BUT I would choose 1974 if I could reach into the picture and grab me one of those old Scooby Doo parking signs!

Thanks for all of the comments! :)

• Like 7

speaking of the monorail images from yesterday. I saw a truck with two of the cars on it on the I-275 ramp this morning at Rt. 747. They looked to be in like-new condition. I would have thought that they were headed to Jungle Jims... but they were on the "wrong" ramp... headed the wrong way. Anyone know what that might be from?

• Like 1

The push-up trimmed ginko trees are particularly missed.

I was a major part of getting historic looking signs and poles added to my historic neighborhood but (lock-n-load JD), some of the landscaping in those 74 shots would be so gaudy today. Times change.

The Coney Mall in 74 says "beauty and guest experience first" as a means to draw you back for another visit. I know for most its about the rollercoasters and none of this matters, but for some that's not all that matters when they visit. I just worry how much more vegetation will suffer in order to serve the almighty dollar in years to come. In any case, you can see this kind of landscaping (or lack thereof) just about anywhere...boring :( I would have loved to see the sculpted ginkgo trees return to this part of the park during this last seasons revamp, but more-so I hope the landscaping will be highly regarded in the future!

bold added for emphasis

I like the point you make. However, I go to parks to ride rides (in a beautiful environment), not the other way around. In 74' it was the other way around (for other guests, I wash't born yet). I'm glad KI management noticed that change in park-goers or KI may not be as successful as it is today. That said, KI has lost a tone of atmosphere, probably equal to the positive impact of the recent upgrades to Coney Mall, Planet Snoopy, Rivertown (kinda like that new coaster too-great theming :) .

3 years ago I would agree completely. Today, I think KI is on the right track and I give them my confidence (based on recent improvements to atmosphere).

As far as- How much more vegetation will suffer for the almighty dollar... Come on, Greenhouse grown annuals aren't nearly as good for the environment as all the trees that have filled in- Tress that are still there in the winter and coming years and don't require all the nasty chemicals to keep nice like manicured landscaping. Look at aerial photos and I'll defend KI for keeping vegetation any day!

BTW, I've driven a Prius since 06' and worked for a citizen's lobby on environmental issues.

• Like 1

The push-up trimmed ginko trees are particularly missed.

I was a major part of getting historic looking signs and poles added to my historic neighborhood but (lock-n-load JD), some of the landscaping in those 74 shots would be so gaudy today. Times change.

The Coney Mall in 74 says "beauty and guest experience first" as a means to draw you back for another visit. I know for most its about the rollercoasters and none of this matters, but for some that's not all that matters when they visit. I just worry how much more vegetation will suffer in order to serve the almighty dollar in years to come. In any case, you can see this kind of landscaping (or lack thereof) just about anywhere...boring :( I would have loved to see the sculpted ginkgo trees return to this part of the park during this last seasons revamp, but more-so I hope the landscaping will be highly regarded in the future!

bold added for emphasis

I like the point you make. However, I go to parks to ride rides (in a beautiful environment), not the other way around. In 74' it was the other way around (for other guests, I wash't born yet). I'm glad KI management noticed that change in park-goers or KI may not be as successful as it is today. That said, KI has lost a tone of atmosphere, probably equal to the positive impact of the recent upgrades to Coney Mall, Planet Snoopy, Rivertown (kinda like that new coaster too-great theming :) .

3 years ago I would agree completely. Today, I think KI is on the right track and I give them my confidence (based on recent improvements to atmosphere).

As far as- How much more vegetation will suffer for the almighty dollar... Come on, Greenhouse grown annuals aren't nearly as good for the environment as all the trees that have filled in- Tress that are still there in the winter and coming years and don't require all the nasty chemicals to keep nice like manicured landscaping. Look at aerial photos and I'll defend KI for keeping vegetation any day!

BTW, I've driven a Prius since 06' and worked for a citizen's lobby on environmental issues.

If the park still looked like 1974 it would be like Bush Gardens today. Loving all the pictures thank you for posting them.

• Like 1

speaking of the monorail images from yesterday. I saw a truck with two of the cars on it on the I-275 ramp this morning at Rt. 747. They looked to be in like-new condition. I would have thought that they were headed to Jungle Jims... but they were on the "wrong" ramp... headed the wrong way. Anyone know what that might be from?

Jungle Jim`s is actually opening a second location, in Eastgate (east side of Cincinnati). The location will have a stationary monorail in the parking lot. The store is expected to open sometime next summer.

• Like 1

I go to parks to ride rides (in a beautiful environment), not the other way around. In 74' it was the other way around...

Yes, how times have changed. I can clearly remember the very first my mom came home and told us about this place she heard about in Ohio. She described how it was supposed to have some of the most amazing landscaping anywhere. For weeks we kept begging to go and finally she relented. For our entire 3 1/2 hour journey to the park all of us kids could hardly contain ourselves...we kept asking things like "Do you think they'll have marigolds?"..."Will there be tulips?" "How about roses?" We drove my parents crazy with our excitement!

Once we got there my dad noticed that they also had rides at the park...he would constantly try dragging us kids away from the landscaping....but we were having none of that. We were there for the landscaping and we weren't gonna waste our time on the rides!*

I wash't born yet.

Thanks for the jab! :lol:

*Wouldn't this be the most pathetic bunch of kids if that's the way we really were back then. :P

• Like 1

Yes, how times have changed. I can clearly remember the very first my mom came home and told us about this place she heard about in Ohion. She described how it was supposed to have some of the most amazing landscaping anywhere. For weeks we kept begging to go and finally she relented. For our entire 3 1/2 hour journey to the park all of us kids could hardly contain ourselves...we kept asking things like "Do you think they'll have marigolds?"..."Will there be tulips?" "How about roses?" We drove my parents crazy with our excitement!

Once we got there my dad noticed that they also had rides at the park...he would constantly try dragging us kids away from the landscaping....but we were having none of that. We were there for the landscaping and we weren't gonna waste our times on the rides!*

This reminds me of when my mom dragged us to Cypress Gardens and Silver Springs when I was a kid. My mom was crazy about the landscaping, my sister and I not so much. Of course, Cypress Gardens had the ski show and Silver Springs had the glass bottom boats that we could look forward to.

• Like 2

If the park still looked like 1974 it would be like Bush Gardens today. Loving all the pictures thank you for posting them.

I would love if Ohio had a park that looked like Busch Gardens Europe. (Never been to Tampa) Busch Gardens is by far my favorite park.

Iv'e Been To Bush Gardens in Tampa, it is also very beautiful :)

• Like 1

Good morning...or afternoon to you late sleepers!

I miss the animal safari with a passion; it was a place you could go and unwind and reconnect with nature for a bit.

When you put it like this I agree, I love nature. ("I love the outdoors, whenever i'm not indoors that's where you'll find me." - Frank Burns)

The problem I have nowadays is no matter how much I like seeing exotic animals, I can't get it out of the back of my head how much happier most of them would be out in the wild. :(

I wish I was around when the parked looked like this.

But that would make you old...too! :P

Today’s photo set is a slightly different...because it’s not quite in the park.

trama.jpg

I have some fond memories of the trams...it seemed so magical to wait and board them and be taken to the park. (Although now that I am older I can’t imagine wasting my time waiting for one when I could just walk and be at the entrance faster. ) The two things that caught my attention in this photo are:

A. The boy in his tube socks...oh what a time period...the boys of today don’t know what they missed having those “cool” fashion accessories. :lol:

(The only downside of having the striped socks is that you had to find a matching pair...nowadays I just grab any two white socks in my drawer.)

B. The lady on the back of the tram looking up...it’s like she’s just thinking “I wonder if it’s gonna rain today”.

tramb.jpg

Where would I rather be today...1974 or 2011? Well if I base it solely on these two photos I would say that I would go for 2011 because I think the trams are a waste of gas...BUT I would choose 1974 if I could reach into the picture and grab me one of those old Scooby Doo parking signs!

Thanks for all of the comments! :)

It is sad to see some of the animals in captivity, but I have been lucky enough to be close to an eagle, that could no longer fly and would never survive in the wild. And it seemed happy with its handler, and even stepped over to me and tried to climb on my shoulder.

I think I miss the trams myself. I see so many elders coming into the park exhausted from the walk.

• Like 1

Indeed. The drop off is so far from the gate, it's really sad. Other parks also have this problem. Then some wonder why wheelchairs are rented by those who don't need them. At least those who abuse the system can get to a wheelchair. Quite frankly, the current system should be evaluated by someone who can walk about 20 feet, but not much further, like my Mom was. She WOULD have enjoyed KI in her last days, if she COULD have. She was far too proud of her ability to independently get around until near the end. Taking a wheelchair with us was simply not an option she'd easily accept.

Trams? More convenient wheelchair rental? I'd have more KI memories with my Mom. And KI would have made more money.

I much prefer the 1974 picture this time...BUT back then, most of the park was not accessable to wheelchair users.

• Like 1

No it wasn't. The last time I went to the park with my dad was in 2007. The only thing he could ride was the dodge ems, and they have been so watered down they're not even worth it. (Coming from a man involved in racing). Anyway, he was too proud to get a chair and we took several rest breaks throughout the park. Like I've said before there's nothing for people like him to do there. The only other thing we got on was the train and it ended up being kind of a sad thing since there was nothing for him to do. As we were leaving I offered to bring the car up so he wouldn't have to walk so far, but he refused-and he slept the whole way home. There has to be an answer for this. KI needs more flats and something for the elders to do. I have always thought that the wheelchair place could at least send a rep to the parking lot with a chair to pick up those guests who cannot get to the entrance. I know it would probably cut back on the number of medical events if they had that simple solution. Besides that, I think that simple gesture would make a big impression on an out of town guest as well as the locals.

• Like 1

^jlopez, Interpreter & windshawne...a very interesting conversation.

When I purchased these 1974 photos I purchased them “blind”...so I didn’t know what I was getting until I received them. (I believe P.T. Barnum had a famous quote about me!) Anyway, when I saw today’s 1974 photo I was VERY happy to own it...I like seeing a nice aerial close-up shot of the old theater. I am used to seeing the theater off in the distance looking like a red blob. (So having this shot made up for some of the lesser shots that came in this set of photos.)

theatera.jpg

I also like seeing Der Spinnen Keggers from this angle...you can almost picture Alice getting a little sick. ;)

theaterb.jpg

This area has changed quite a bit.

Here is what still exists:

theaterc.jpg

theaterd.jpg

So, where would I rather be today...I would say that today I would like to go back to 1974...but only because I never think I went into the theater...and if I did I can’t remember it. I am guessing that I would probably be disappointed once I did go in...but at least my curiosity would be ended. :lol:

• Like 6

That two section trailer at the top of the 1974 photo could be the one still used as the daily ops for the lifeguards. Going on the fact that that it is made up of two sections and looks really old. Just a guess though.

Edit: Even if the trailers are still there, they are no longer used for that purpose.

• Like 1

If they'd ever revamp the gardens area, get the fountain working, etc.. rather than being a big smoking area, I'd say 2011 easy. I really wish they'd spruce up that area again. I think the arials are some of my favorites as they show vast areas of change and give you a bigger feel for the changes to the park over the years.

regarding the topic above, one of the sadder things I saw this year was an elderly woman sitting a wheel chair completly by her self while walking back to the train one day this summer. She had the same glazed over look my grandmother had from her dimensia in the last year or so of her life. Its one thing (though not something I think is right) if I could have rationalized that she had the capability to tell her party, go ahead and I'll wait here and just people watch for awhile. This lady looked like she had no clue where she was/what she was doing, and it didn't appear there was anyone around keeping a specific eye on her, or even trying to talk to her. Thinking about it now, I wish I would have done something, see if she needed anything, just hung around until her family got back, something.

I think there's a decent amount for a person to do that can't ride the rides. The train, Dino's alive, shows, etc are all solid, but frankly if you can't ride the rides, and don't have people that are willing to hang out with you while other members of your party venture off to ride their rides, I'm not sure why you're going to an amusement park. You have to know going in that much of the park is limited to you; if the shows and spending quality time with family are worth the price of admission, knock yourself out.

• Like 1

I love BOTH of the photos in today’s set.

towerskyridea.jpg

There is so much I love about looking at this photo, the skyride, the people on the lower level observation deck, the banners, the swans...truly a great time to be in the park! :)

towerskyrideb.jpg

Judging by how little of the bottom of the “dock” you can see I am wondering if the park keeps the water level higher than back in 1974...or I just caught it on a higher day. Does the park adjust the water level in the pond? (Anyone...anyone....Bueller....Bueller...)

So where would I rather be today? Even after listing all of the great stuff in the 1974 photo I can not say that I choose 1974. I love Viking Fury...so I can’t vote against it in the 2011 shot...so today I refuse to choose. :P

As always ever and ever thanks for all of the participation...and have a great weekend! :)

• Like 10