Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

Hmm, this one is a toughy. Things stayed the same, like the patio, pond, and the Eiffel Tower. And some things changed, like the trees that sure have grown, and Viking Fury - Sky Ride. Speaking of Viking fury, on Labor Day weekend 2011. The ride began, and when the ship was at about at *medium height*, someone on the *trees side* of the ship yelled, "Less filling!" then, the pond side went up (where I am) and my and a couple others yelled "Tastes great"! I believe about half of the boat was confused, but most people joined in anyway. "Less Filling"! yelled the tree side, raising their hands up. "Tastes great!" yelled most of the people on the pond side. It continued for the rest of the ride. At the end of the ride, me and the ship went into a huge applause. "Sounds like you liked your ride" said the ride operator. So then I watched the next cycle. No "Less filling, tastes great". Just a normal cycle. Standbyme made my post a huge story, because of the Viking Fury picture. If anybody was some how on thta ride, or saw it, then you can tell me. ir rode it on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. That was probably my greatest flat ride memory ever, and so 2011 wins because of the VF memory. Keep it up, Standbyme!

• Like 1

This is the best topic ever on KIC!

It sure is!

It wasn't labor day weekend, but the Taste Great, Lessing Filling chants went out on the ride earlier this year while I was waiting for my turn.

The less filling, tastes great dueling chants also broke out when we were there over Father's Day weekend this year.

Sounds like it broke out a few other times this year!

• Like 1

Ah it makes me smile to hear a Great Taste, Less Filling story, truly a Viking Fury tradition that the park should mandate into a park rule. I would have to pick 1974 in this shot, due to the fact of how serene the park looks from this angle.

On a side note, it seems like KI present day is a lot more.....bushy. I have not really ever stepped back to think, but KI does have a LOT of trees.

• Like 1

Small note- in the theater/Paramount Story picture, it's actually Coney Potato Works now, not Midway.

Thanks for the info. :) (I got my information from the park map on the park's website. :rolleyes: )

I am the type of a person who can walk/drive by a building on a daily basis and never notice what it is...until the day comes when I have to find it for some reason.

Ah...another Monday is here...and Christmas is only seven days away!

traina.jpg

It’s little things in some of these photos that I like sometimes...in this case I like seeing the boy trying to run so he doesn’t miss the train...which i’m sure was a lot bigger deal then than it is today. (Unless you were just heading to Boomerang Bay.)

trainb.jpg

I think I am on the money with this shot...although I could be off by a couple of feet. With all of the umbrellas & the bushes and the fence it was tough to see much. I based my location on the wooden lamp post in the center which appeared to be original.

So where would I rather be today? I don’t think there’s much doubt that the train ride was way cooler back in 1974 than now. (Politically incorrect for sure...but fun just the same.) I do thank the park immensely though for still keeping the train around...it is one of the most relaxing things to do in the park...and a godsend to any parent who needs to sit down while still keeping a toddler occupied. :lol:

• Like 12

I love that 1974 photo. I remember (albeit vaguely) how forested the area around KCKC was, and--even though I'm glad the park is what it is--I think I'd rather have that than The Crypt and Diamondback.

Thats kinda cheating because you can't actually see The Crypt or Diamondback! :P

I just noticed in my 2011 picture the guy in the tye-dye shirt laying down...i'm sure he'd love to know he had been "immortalized" like this on the internet. :lol:

• Like 1

I love that 1974 photo. I remember (albeit vaguely) how forested the area around KCKC was, and--even though I'm glad the park is what it is--I think I'd rather have that than The Crypt and Diamondback.

Thats kinda cheating because you can't actually see The Crypt or Diamondback! :P

I just noticed in my 2011 picture the guy in the tye-dye shirt laying down...i'm sure he'd love to know he had been "immortalized" like this on the internet. :lol:

Wouldn't it be "cheating" to say you like 1974 since the train ride experience was better then, when you can't see in the picture what made it better? :)

At any rate, thanks again another cool set. I'd take 1974 as well (or at least what I remember from 1984) as the train ride was much cooler then. Like you said, as a father of a 3rd old, I'm glad they've kept it around. Despite his love for the Viking ship, Beastie, Rattler, etc... he enjoys the easy train ride as much as the thrills he gets elsewhere in the park.

• Like 1

Guest TombraiderTy

Sorry I haven't been active in this thread the past couple weeks - I've still been following the pictures, but I've been failing at interacting much. I still greatly appreciate all the work you put into researching, taking and sharing the photographs though - it'd definitely something to look forwards to every day.

To quickly voice my opinions on the last five pictures shared...

Monkey Island

Although I've always found the Lion Country Safari interesting (simply reference my spotlight of the area :P), I don't think the exhibit shown in the '74 picture could really compare to anything available at modern day zoos and animal attractions (like Disney's Animal Kingdom). I do wish I could've ridden the Monorail, but I enjoy Drop Tower and don't mind Congo Falls. So '11 for this one.

Parking Lot Trams

I rarely ever use the main parking lot anymore and don't have any personal reasons to dislike it or its lack of trams, but I can definitely see the benefits of them. In general though, I feel as though that area could be made more pedestrian friendly with better defined crosswalks and pathways, plus some additional landscaping would do it good. Therefore, with '74's operating tram (and the clearly defined pathway for it), I'd have to go with the older year.

Inflatable Theater

While the inflatable Kings Island Theater was the main entertainment venue at the park in '74, several other facilities have since opened. Therefore, no harm in losing it, although I wish its replacement (Tower Gardens) was better maintained - the waterfall has been nonoperational for several years, the seating is limited to a circle of benches for smoking and the landscaping is rather lacking. I know that this is the KI nerd speaking, but I'd love to see a KI history exhibit / attraction placed in the gardens.

Elsewhere in the photo, I'd rather have the family-friendly Der Spinnen Keggers than an airbrush shop. So '74 wins again.

Oktoberfest Pond

This one is probably the most difficult choice in the whole thread. The Sky Ride looked very nice and offered some fantastic views, but Viking Fury is a phenomenal family attraction (something the park could use more of). It was a hard decision, but I think I'll have to go with '11 for this one.

Side note - Notice the large, vertical banners in this shot? The two on the right are still there, hidden among the trees around VF's exit. Pause and see if you can find them next time you ride.

Train

While a compact collection of tables and umbrellas isn't anything too exciting, neither is a large, blank plot of grass. But when you consider what the attraction featured in '74, versus its lack of almost anything exciting in '11, I'd have to go with '74. It's worth noting that there were some minor additions made to the "town" on the KI&MVRR this year though. Hopefully that's the beginning of a trend where the attraction is continually updated and enhanced.

Thanks again for doing all of this - it's always exciting to see old pictures of the park, and it's even more interesting when you have modern day pictures to compare them to :)

• Like 2

Oktoberfest Pond

....Side note - Notice the large, vertical banners in this shot? The two on the right are still there, hidden among the trees around VF's exit. Pause and see if you can find them next time you ride.

Interesting...and not surprising that YOU would have observed this fact. ;)

I WILL look for them next time I am at the park!

Thanks for popping in to add so much! :)

Guest TombraiderTy

Interesting...and not surprising that YOU would have observed this fact. ;)

I WILL look for them next time I am at the park!

I should add, although I'd assume it's a given, that it's the poles that are still there and not the actual banners... it'd be pretty hard to miss those :lol:

Here's a picture from International Street of one of the poles. It blends in almost perfectly with the surrounding trees:

n6xst1.jpg

Obviously nothing too special, but still something interesting in my opinion :)

• Like 1

JD - I have to admit that today's set left me disappointed with the 2011 picture - how could you miss the fact that you have the wrong train in the photo? :P

Definitely choosing 1974 as I think the train ride itself would have been much more special then and I like the fact that it is open for people to see versus hidden by all the tables/umbrella's, etc...

• Like 1