Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

Just a quick observation. Look at the position of the flags in the above pictures. In the first picture, they are at the four corners of the tower, and in the bottom picture they are directly in front of the fountain.

The flags at the corners of the tower are still there. It's just a basic white flag with the KI logo on it. The flags in front of the fountains were added 2 years ago I believe.

• Like 1

Thanks again, J.D. for the wonderful thread and many never before seen historical pictures

I always enjoy seeing the way the park was in its earlier days before I was born. I definitely enjoyed seeing this topic and all the wonderful comparisons you did. I`ve thought about doing something similar for Coney Island, just haven`t had the time to take the present day shots. Maybe this upcoming season, I will make it a point to do the comparisons. This is such a wonderful topic. Too bad it has to end now!

Again, thanks for all of your hard work in this thread!

• Like 2

Now 4 months definitely seem even longer. Your hard work and talents have really been impressive. I can't imagine the hours you must have spent with the sounds of coasters and shouts of happy people riding and having a great time all around while you stood there going, "Maybe one more inch to the left.....or should I tilt up and zoom out....geez it's hot out here.....I don't think this is the right station!" :P

To come to your defense, the Skyride buckets did eventually get over to the station you photographed. :D

Thanks again for this. Now if we could only come up with something to argue about, or debate for the next four months.

• Like 1

Sorry I never posted StandByMe - excellent work, I was in awe and nostalgia. Since I was in highschool when the park opened, I've seen all of this and boy did it bring back memories! I definitely miss the 'vine tunnel' over near rivertown. They still have the one at Carowinds, so it was quite nice to relive the memories on our visit last year. I'm happy to see also, that Cedar Fair mgmt seems to be 're-theming' the park, hiding the mechanics again, and bringing the magic back, and they seem to be doing it without running off their cash-cow demographic (teenagers).

Again, thanks for all the hard work - this is simply splendid.

• Like 1

I just found this site today and all I can say is wow and thanks to Standbyme and Hendricks for the effort to compare the past and present. Sadly since I'll be 50 this year I go clear back to Coney Island and can remember some of the things that carried over. In the 74 pictures of what was originally called Coney Island most of the flat rides along with the ginko trees were carried over. The one thing I'm surprised by is that no one mentioned the reprofile of The Racer by removing the head choppers before the brake run. Everybody I mention them to doesn't seem to remember them, I think they were removed during the Paramont days. Would have been nice to reprofile that secrion for it's 40th anniversary. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Standbyme, I too am one that never replied yet in this posting. Admittedly, I'm more of a viewer on the site than I am a regular poster. This topic kept me excited to come back to the site every day and see the newest comparison pictures. For a few days after it ended, I assumed that no new pictures were up because you were busy with the holidays... then I realized you had mentioned that you had posted the last one. Just like everyone else, I was sad to see it end. The amount of effort and quality you put into this is phenomenal. Thanks for such a great topic. Another thanks goes out to Hendricks for the fades, as they really helped with noticing the similarities and changes. Probably one of my favorite topics of all time. I would really consider talking to someone within KI and seeing if you can publish a photo book with what you have and maybe even more! Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In lieu of the (hopefully short termed) absence of a great historical thread that always helps us get through the off season, I believe this fine thread deserves a bump/second look ;) This was probably my favorite thread ever posted on these forums!

• Like 8

Who knows his real name is Dan Pugh.

I have no idea if this is an actual record or not, but a few superbowls ago there was a commericial with dan patrick in it. I belive the next commercial (or perhaps later) there was a doritos commercial with Dan's brother in it. Made me wonder if this was the 1st time 2 brothers appeared in seperate commercial campaigns during the same superbowl. And with Jon Gruden either in a commercial or perhaps doing analysis (or heck it may have even been the one he coached in, I don't remember exactly) it made 3 Dayton grads on TV during the course of singular super Bowl. Just needed to add Chuck Knoll.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

funny, I missed this bump when I was "per-occupied" while my wife was recovering from delivering our 3rd child (Ironically born exactly 3 minutes after the time stamp on your post).  seeing Stand by me post for the first time in I don't know how long made me think of this thread, easily my favorite thread I've seen on this site and the reason I joined in.

To no one's surprise, I've been out 'terped by Terp.  Thanks for bumping it, I love going thru this thing.

• Like 1