The future of SOB: My opinion

coasterfreak75

I rode it on Easter Sunday. It was smoother than it had ever been for me before. I was in the very first seat and I have been told that was why it was smoother than normal.

I dont know, but I am pretty sure than me and that SOB are pretty much done with each other!

I think there will ALWAYS be a group of people who are pretty passionate about Son of Beast. How would YOU like it if the park took it out? That would be one less world-class kick-ass coaster that the Island has. I ride Son of Beast once per visit because it causes great amounts of pain to my chest/heart (yeah, I'm 16...go figure). It's a sweet ride. If it was a steel coaster, my bet is that it would be up with Millennium Force as one of the world's best coasters. The design is amazing.

Who expected a 218 foot tall, 78 mi/hr wooden hypercoaster with an inversion to be as smooth as a Bolliger and Mabillard or Intamin AG hyper steel coaster?

As with many things (including you know what), some people like the ride rough, some people can't take anything but a smooth trip. Am I making sense here?

Honestly, Son of Beast isn`t going anywhere anytime soon. They have spent too much money building it and then trying to smooth out the bumps and rough spots. Hopefully, in a couple seasons, the ride will be smoother than it is and more reridable. However, rough or not, the general public sure seems to enjoy the ride! New trains probably won`t happen as the trains they have were specifically designed for the extra wide track guage and the fact that new trains cost a LOT of money!

I think SOB is a great ride and I think it makes PKI's coaster collection seem like no other. Yes SOB can be rough, but if you ride in the middle of each car it's not bad. I have noticed the very front of very back can make for a good ride too. I think SOB will continute to be worked on thru out the years, and it will be one of the best coasters out there.

I recall hearing a wooden coaster designer saying that a wooden roller coaster is always under construction. Even with The Racer, Beast and Beastie, they are continually worked on to fix and smooth out rough spots. Hopefully, in time, PKI`s wood maintenance division will iron out some of the problems in SoB. After all, they take care of more wood coaster track then any other park has. If I remember correctly they maintain more than 22,000 feet of track!

mad.gif SOB is not a pile of junk. It is my favorite ride at the park i love it. I always ride in the very front and i never get beat up or anything. it is very smooth. And dude if you dont like SOB don't ride it and shut the hell up. PKI is a great park and has great rides and i really enjoy going 20-25 times a year and i live close to 2 hours away. If you don't like it don't go and go to that other crappy park up north.Had to get that off my chest.

When I first rode the bar just went to the middle knees and I was kind of freaked out. Ther ide was great ,it was the bar that hurt. The bar is controlled by air pressure and when any g forces accure it gets tighter and tighter. Is that were the bar was supposed to be. I beileve it was just checking. biggrin.gif

This ride isn't quite my favorite, but there is no denying its power. I'll usually stick to just riding it in cooler temps....or in the morning. I seem to have better luck, and a more comfortable ride.

The loop's the ride's saving grace, at least for me. It is the single best loop I've ever encountered. The hang-time is perfect, reminding me of Batman Knight Flight at SFWoA.

I always ride in the very front and i never get beat up or anything. it is very smooth.

Ok now I am not calling you a liar, but I think your stretching the truth there just a little bit....

To say that you dont get beat up at all on that ride, especially in the front (which is right over a wheel) is probably not accurate

Tiny

• 19 years later...
On 4/17/2004 at 9:30 PM, SixFlagsMasta said:

SOB isn't going anywhere for quite a while. it normally runs 2 trains (with the third always around for back-up as far as i know) but one valied about a week ago so they will have to have it inspected before it can run again. i'm not sure where the back-up train is right now but o well. so that's why it's been down to one this week.. and it's only been ONE WEEK it's not like it's been a whole season or anything. i mean come on, they just got off from the off-season. they just need to get warmed up again.

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 4/21/2004 at 10:51 PM, TopThrillDragster said:

it needs new trains! They should get trains like Thunder Head has. I heard that is a kick A** coaster!

Looks like you got your wish.

On 4/22/2004 at 12:14 AM, Coaster-King said:

I hope that they don't kill the son like they did to King Cobra and I love the son and the daddy!!!!

Looks like you didn't.

• Haha 1