Should KI Bring Back Winterfest For 2012?

mccarthysnerd

this has been discussed to an unhealthy degree. I loved the first run of Winterfest; thought (other than pricing)- Paramount did an outstanding job trying to bring it back- but I don't see it happening. Haunt is too profitable and 30-days isn't enough time to reset the theming for something that large.

Now, that said, the new leadership may take a look at it as a way to make the seasonal parks more year-round. I would give a wait-and-see.... but don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

Knotts does this, from haunt to Christmas, sure knotts is great. I think Paramount did great, little pricy, plus at the time, the Beach had theirs, unlike the original Winterfest.

It would be incredible to bring back but from the new Winterfest one of my favorites, cannot happen the lake lights show,,,it was cool Diamond back is there now.

Hopefully with the new boss he sees what Kings Island was,

I'm being perfectly honest i've been to the parks, love knotts, Cedar Point, and kingsisland they are the top 3 in the chain.

So Kings Island should look at a hotel, bring back Winterfest, a year round park. Now Jan/ Feb march would still be closed.

But the resort hotels etc. could still be open.....

Winterfest Kingsisland 2013......or 2014.....

I only went to Winterfest once back in 1992 which was the last year of the event. At the time, I was disappointed but I have been told by others that it was a good event in prior years. I personally would love it if KI brought back Winterfest as long as the prices were reasonable.

I think Ohio winters are simply too unpredictable and, given the right one, too cold. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is in a significantly warmer climate, for example. It averages less than six days of snowfall per year, and the average temperature for December is nearly 40 degrees. Ohio's balances around 31. Added in with the wind and ice up here, that's a big difference. 45 degrees can be pleasant. 30 degrees with wind and dangerous roads is not. Knott's is open year-round regardless (and Dollywood might as well be, since there's only about two and a half months of the year that it's truly closed).

Plus, the parks that have these successful winter events (Dollywood, Busch Gardens, Knott's) are often more cultural or immersive. For example, MOST of the Busch Gardens Christmastown experience is the lights, music, food, shows, etc. I think the same can be said of Dollywood. Like it or not, Kings Island doesn't have that all-weather attraction. My impression is that Kings Island seems to be primarily a ride park, and its patrons are ride-ers far more than watchers or eaters, since the park focuses on rides more than things to watch or things to eat. "Busch Gardens with the rides closed" still leaves an enormous amount of activities. "Kings Island with the rides closed" would certainly have folks going, "huh? Then what's the point?"

^Have you ever done that at The Beach? It's genuinely terrifying.

I have, terribly horrific experience; pretty sure bits of fiberglass were flying around also. My favorite part of the Beach was the waterslide who's splash pool was full of geese...

I worked Winterfest in 2005 in Ops and I can honestly say, there was nothing to do. Think of why you go to an amusement park. Now imagine not doing any of those things in freezing weather. If you were over 54", you were paying $25 to see a very thinly performed parade, look at lights, ride the train while people sang, ride the carousel, and watch a light show on swan lake. Ice skating as well as skate rental was an up charge and very crowded since it was the only thing to do. The kids area was just full of kids.

You could also buy hot chocolate.

I could be wrong but isn't Haunt $25 on friday nights? Think of the difference in things to do for that cost.

Barring some major change; it's not cost effective for the park and not cost effective for the customer.

Honestly, the best thing I ever got out of winterfest was 3 giant warm red coats.

EDIT: Oh yea, scooby doo and the haunted castle was open too. (which reminds me of a funny story about one of my co-workers inadvertently and unknowingly putting a golden retriever onto the ride...)

DeLorean Rider: There were also shows and carolers. That being said, the event was snowed out at least once the last year in Cinci. And down Charlotte way (where I attended), the Charlotte Observer may have put it best: "Walking In An Empty Wonderland."

(Their ice rink was little bigger than a Cadillac DeVille!)

That is true, I had forgot about some of the shows, including the Scrooge that heckled people on I-Street. Still due to the low attendance, I think it was difficult to really instill a festive atmosphere. That of course caused changes of it's own. A girl I was dating at the time was an elf in the parade and was originally scheduled every night of winterfest except 4. Once the numbers came no where near the projections, she and countless others got cut out of the parade and ended up working a total of 5 nights. Ended up being a skeleton parade with few to no dancers between floats. "Walking in An Empty Wonderland" most certainly sums it up.

I do remember the great unexpected snowing! It was a friday and we all got called and told not to come in. The big question was simply: What do we do with all this snow?! In the end it helped because they used all the excess snow to create barriers into the portions of the park that were closed off (AZ, Coney, etc.). People wandering into those areas had been a problem before the snow. The snow piles were so big that they lasted till Winterfest was over. The issue then was the countless breaking up of snowball fights between guests.

^ I am willing to pay to stand in the cold and see Christmas lights if it also involves seeing komodo dragons, elephants, and the sort.

(Festival of Lights at the Zoo)

I cannot wait to go to the Zoo this holiday season. Especially because with discount tickets, it can be experienced for $10.