Universal To Close 'Jaws' Attraction

While Mrs. Kingsrattler and I really enjoyed Jaws, I have to agree with GYK that it is an outdated movie, with outdated technology. Universal was created to show the magic and technology behind movies in an enchanting form of rides. Compared to the technology used in movies today, the Jaws ride is nothing magical, and I suspect Universal has a very good idea what to do with the land area.

I rode Jaws when I was there this past October. I have to say, judging by the tenor and attitude of the ride ops, it's time was way past due. (oh look. watch out. a shark. i better sort of make an effort to pull out this pistol and shoot it.). Once Bruce came out of the water, it looked as though he were suffering a seizure. The parks weren't busy the day I went (rode Potter sev times with as little as ten min wait), but Jaws was a walk-on and the ride ops were growing cobwebs under their eyes waiting for people to ride. The park has to stay current, so I'm all for a Potter expansion if that's what goes in that area.

I rode Jaws when I was there this past October. I have to say, judging by the tenor and attitude of the ride ops, it's time was way past due. (oh look. watch out. a shark. i better sort of make an effort to pull out this pistol and shoot it.). Once Bruce came out of the water, it looked as though he were suffering a seizure. The parks weren't busy the day I went (rode Potter sev times with as little as ten min wait), but Jaws was a walk-on and the ride ops were growing cobwebs under their eyes waiting for people to ride. The park has to stay current, so I'm all for a Potter expansion if that's what goes in that area.

So were the ride ops' lackluster performances caused by declining popularity of the ride, or was declining popularity of the ride caused by the ride ops' lackluster performances? That is, if in fact the ride has shown a decline in popularity... I have no way of knowing that. All I know is the two prior times I'd been to the park (1997 & 1999), the ride ops gave great performances and greatly added to my enjoyment of the ride. From what I've read on a few websites since the closure was announced, the ride ops the past several years didn't give a crap about how they performed. Sad.... sigh.

^^ Gater, not to point out the obvious, but that was 12 years ago ;) A lot of things can change in 12 years. (Think of all that has changed at a small park at KI since 1999) I know that I went last year in October (a somewhat busy time at Universal Orlando) and while most rides there were 30-45 minute wait, Jaws was a walk on. I didn't think the ride op did bad job, but it did leave much to be desired, as did the animontronics (when a shark comes out of the water looking like half robot instead of shark).

The last time I experienced JAWS was in 2010. The queue was full, on a week day.

Every time I have queued for that attraction prior, the queue has been full.

There is no doubt in my mind that the attraction is popular.

There is plenty of land to the east of JAWS, MIB, and Simpson's.

Still trying my hardest to get down there on New Years weekend to say goodbye.

My favorite line was by a female skipper as we were nearing the final scene. As we approached the fishing dock and high voltage barge, she said, "We're going to tie up at that old fishing dock, and unload one row at a time, starting with me!."

Oh the memories!

**wipes tear**

^ :lol: That's exactly why I was prepping 6 year old GatorGirl for months! She did very well on Jurassic Park (except for an incident at the bottom of the drop, which I'll cover if/when I get the TR done this off-season), and even kept her eyes open the whole time on Haunted Mansion this time (which is the ride she was worried about the most). I was so proud of her! :D