What's the year?

KIfan73

I'm starting a thread that I'm going to attempt to update daily (or as close as possible) until Kings Island opens for the season.

I, as I know a lot of you did, really enjoyed standbyme's 1974 thread. I'm in no way trying to compete (which I'm not sure is possible!), but just give everybody something to look at on a regular basis. I'm also wanting to test your knowledge of KI history!

Each time I post, I'll feature a pic from my own library, and your job is to figure out the year it's from. Feel free to post with guesses or comments. If you prefer to just think on your own and wait for the answer without posting, that's fine, too.

On a lot of pics, I may add some mild vintage effects to it, to try and make it a little trickier. Some pics may have some obvious hints, and some may not.

After today, I'll begin new posts with the year that the previous post's pic was from.

Here's the first pic...what's the year?

5ea43f6e.jpg

I'm not very good at dating pictures at all, especially when it's pictures like that where there are no obvious landmarks or references. Besides perhaps the lack of Invertigo which signifies pre-1999, however that's obvious. I'm going to guess sometime in the 1980's, perhaps later in the decade? I could be way off though.

Cool! I will absolutely suck at this. I have never been good at picking out details.

As always, I look forward to seeing your photos and will comment on them...but I will not even attempt to guess. (Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.) There are people on here that will probably pinpoint the exact date based on something that I would never guess...like the water level in the fountain. :rolleyes:

As for my thoughts on this photo...I am not thrilled with the bushes around the fountain compared to 1975...I wonder if they looked nicer from the ground?

Thanks for giving us something to look forward to! :)

I can see the entrance to the American Heritage Music Hall, changed to The Paramount Theater, so it is 1976 or later.

I do not see the Skyride, which was removed at the end of the 1979 season, so it has to be 1980 or later.

It looks like there are TV monitors in front of the stage at the fountain, which I believe was a Paramount thing (1992-2006), so that makes is after 1992.

I see the tram pick-up and drop-off circle with people waiting there so it cannot be later than 2005.

So, I am stuck in-between 1993 and 2005.

I will take a WAG and say 1994.

Well... judging by the Sepia color tone of the print, which Eastman Kodak altered in the chemical processing of Kodachrome film in 1985 to more of a magenta spectrum, I would say 1984.

BTW, the whole first part of that sentence is complete B.S.! I thought it sounded good though. :D

• trams were still in use
  • special banners are in place
  • season pass entrance is blocked
  • fountains look great
  • fountains still have internationally looking shrubs & there are trees up & down I-street
  • stage appears to have an 80's design in platform & color
  • umbrella's (w/o logos) on tables

not sure the year, but it appears to pre-date paramount days

Well... judging by the Sepia color tone of the print, which Eastman Kodak altered in the chemical processing of Kodachrome film in 1985 to more of a magenta spectrum, I would say 1984.

BTW, the whole first part of that sentence is complete B.S.! I thought it sounded good though. :D

You got me. :lol:

(I am guessing that there is probably a photography forum out there somewhere that you could read observations like this though.)

In case you missed it though:

On a lot of pics, I may add some mild vintage effects to it, to try and make it a little trickier.

I think that WILL make it tougher for some. :)

• Like 1

I ruled out 1972 just because of the strap on the baseball hat of the person in the photo...it doesnt have one of those plastic "push the dots in to fit your head size old school" type adjustment straps. :P

(Every now and then I have a Columbo moment.)

P.S. Yes...I know the 1972 guesses were a joke.