C'mon KI...When?

Snowman

The thing I have to wonder about, though: why? What benefit does KI get from opening two weeks later than what they used to? I don't mean to whine, but the earlier opening days weren't completely empty--I've seen slower days on Haunt Fridays--so I don't think they were totally losing money a couple years ago. (Not that I'm privy to those facts... For all I know, those days were prone to attracting only passholders who wouldn't buy anything, so the park could have been losing money hand over fist.)

It's been mentioned before on here that Paramount's season pass preview days helped train employees and iron out ride kinks prior to the real opening day. The old April weekends could almost be considered a substitute for that--they weren't packed, but they had enough people there that the park was running well by May/the start of daily operations. Maybe it was sheer coincidence, but 2011's opening day seemed pretty hiccup-y. Rides were down left and right, with relatively full queues of people who I personally witnessed complaining a lot. But I'm just speculating.

• Like 1

I can specifically point to two parties who have visited Kings Island on opening days in the past two years and have very explicity said that they won't go out of their way to visit again (and we live in Northeast Ohio... If you don't go out of your way, you won't get to Kings Island). "What's the point," they say, "when half of the rides are closed and no one seems to be in any rush to fix it?" Employees (God bless them all) don't know what to do at that point, and maintenance is so overwhelmed by these rides all freaking out after feeling human passengers for the first time in six months, and management seems unaffected or unwilling to take notice...

Maybe that's a practice that will change in the future. We're already expected a "passholder preview" of Soak City, after all...

Plus, at least one person here has a birthday on the 26th of April, which he celebrated at the park for four years in a row before Kings Island decided not to open until that date had passed. I sense a conspiracy!

I can specifically point to two parties who have visited Kings Island on opening days in the past two years and have very explicity said that they won't go out of their way to visit again (and we live in Northeast Ohio... If you don't go out of your way, you won't get to Kings Island). "What's the point," they say, "when half of the rides are closed and no one seems to be in any rush to fix it?" Employees (God bless them all) don't know what to do at that point, and maintenance is so overwhelmed by these rides all freaking out after feeling human passengers for the first time in six months, and management seems unaffected or unwilling to take notice...

Maybe that's a practice that will change in the future. We're already expected a "passholder preview" of Soak City, after all...

Plus, at least one person here has a birthday on the 26th of April, which he celebrated at the park for four years in a row before Kings Island decided not to open until that date had passed. I sense a conspiracy!

People whine and cry no matter what the park does good or bad. Just look at Cedar Point's and Kings Island's facebook page.

http://www.visitking...-city-waterpark

I notice that the waterpark is opening a week later than it has in previous years. At least the last two years, it opened two Saturdays before Memorial Day, but this year they're waiting until the holiday weekend. Is this just to make room for the Gold Pass preview weekend, or are there other reasons behind the change? (Terpy, I'm aware that the answer to that is "yes". Shut up. ;))

• Like 1

^^ Are you positive? I thought it opened up on Memorial day weekend for quite a while? Whatever KIC'S Boomerang Bay hours are based on, that would have fallen on Memorial day weekend.

Yes, I'm positive. I distinctly remember going to the waterpark during the week before Memorial Day each of the last two years.

Then it has just been the past two or three years that that has been done. 2008 it opened Memorial day weekend, and 2005 it open Memorial Day weekend (not sure about the years between then)

EDIT: And Carowinds and Cedar Point both opened on Memorial day this past year. I wonder what caused them to put Kings Island on a different schedule.

Probably finishing touches on making the area ready for guests and / or that season passholder preview. The fact that it's a preview day indicates that it won't have been seen by the general public by then, right? So it would have to be that the waterpark's first visitors are passholders.