Intimidator 305 Before and after

I know there were problems with I305, after the first season. What I heard was, the riders were either "graying out" and I have heard a rumor of a few guests blacking out.

During the last off-season, adjustments were made. Does anyone know what all was done, and is there any photos of the before and after track work?

I have not made it back to Kings Dominion (track was in parking lot) since the build.

Any info would be appreciated.

intimidator-layout.png

The only difference between the addition or removal of brakes was the first helix (labeled "C" above). When the ride first opened (which is what the above picture represents) the 300 foot hill lead directly into a 270 degree helix that was very low against the ground and very highly banked and tightly curved. You may have experienced "graying out" on Backlot Stunt Coaster's helix, or even Diamondbacks. The positive g's (the pushed-into-your-seat) feeling make that happen, and on Intimidator, you were going 90 miles per hour after screaming your head off on a 300 foot hill. That's what caused many people to gray out, and a good number to blackout momentarily.

Their first way to fix it was to add magnetic brakes down the entire first drop to slow the train from 90 miles per hour to like, 78 or something around there. It helped, but it was obviously no permanent fix.

The difference made this year was that the helix was widened quite a bit (as far as I noticed) and isn't so tight to the ground. It's more of a rising helix, and it begins the jump up into the first airtime hill much more quickly.

BEFORE

60_3.jpg

AFTER

305fromtower.jpg

You can see in the picture above how the jump into the first airtime hill is much more prolonged and less intense, because the entire helix now curves upward toward it. It's still a very intense ride (some say the most intense coaster on earth in terms of sensation) but the new first helix alleviates a lot of the issue.

In addition, the ride lost its hard over the shoulder restraints (think Kingda Ka, Vortex or Invertigo) getting soft over the shoulder restraints instead.

I, for one, find the ride much improved. It went

from, for me, an utterly contemptible, despicable ride (nearly as bad as Ninja at Six Flags over Georgia) to one of my favorites.

In addition, the ride lost its hard over the shoulder restraints (think Kingda Ka, Vortex or Invertigo) getting soft over the shoulder restraints instead.

I, for one, find the ride much improved. It went

from, for me, an utterly contemptible, despicable ride (nearly as bad as Ninja at Six Flags over Georgia) to one of my favorites.

Why is the restraint system like that? Could they have made it more like Millennium Force, with the seat belt and lap bar?

I'd chalk it up to the fact that manufacturer recommendations change from time to time, and place to place. Perhaps Cedar Fair - in its ongoing hunt for redundant safety features - decided to opt for the over-the-shoulder restraints on their own.

See also Kingda Ka, which features rigid over-the-shoulder restraints despite being nearly identical to Top Thrill Dragster, which has only a seatbelt and lap bar.