Flashback Till Opening Day 2012

TOPGUN1993

It's 2012 and just under four more months until Kings Island opens its doors for its 40th season. Like last year's topic, each day I will try my best to post a "vintage" Kings Island photo from my massive collection of media I've gathered over the years through personal collections and online discoveries. You're likely to see some of your photos, so don't be surprised. Anything goes.
B)

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23316&hl=%2Bflashback+%2Bopening&fromsearch=1'>http://www.KICentral...ng&fromsearch=1
2011 Flashback Till Opening Topic^^

flashbackkilogo.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks for bringing this topic back for 2012! Of course, I wanted to see a Standbyme 2011 comparison and Hendrick fade after your 1987 Vortex shot :D .

Things I noticed: Miss the 'Tiques. Nice to see how the trees around Shake, Rattle, & Roll have grown up. Wow has that end of Coney Mall Changed.

Guest TombraiderTy

Wow. Ya think they needed some more switchbacks?

You can't see it in the picture, but I'm pretty positive that there were switchbacks underneath (as well as within) the station.

I remember visiting in the very early 90s and seeing the line for Vortex look similar to that one...is that a path leading to something at the end of Coney Mall?

I'd assume just Vortex's exit.

Yep. They were used in 2011. I actually made fewer visits to KI this past year than in recent years, I still managed 25 visits. It will be interesting to see what Cedar Fair`s total attendance figures were in 2011.

Great photos Paul. You know how much of a history buff I am, and I simply love seeing old photos of the park back in the day. Of course, as I grow older, picures from the park in 2000 seem old now, since that will be twelve years ago. My how time sure does seem to fly.

We went pretty regularly on nights mid-week this summer. Just about every trip, my wife would take our 2 year old on the scrambler and the monster. I can't ride that spin that much w/o getting sick, so I'd often go on The Racers and Adventure Express solo to fill the time. I never saw the switchbacks open on The Racers. I wonder if they could get ride of 1 side of the switch backs and use the left over area as some sort of path back behind The Racers for a new ride in the future.