Flashback Till Opening Day 2012

TOPGUN1993

I always remembered the slide being in that area, but have seen a lot of pictures this offseason where the slide was over by The Racers (I assume its original location) so I assumed my memory was failing me. Nice to see a picture of the slide in the location I remember as a kid. I think something like that would still be a hit in kiddie land, I know my son would love it.

Yes, Flume originally had a huge queue. The queue area was reduced to its current state with the renovation of the ride for the 2001 season. Even Racer has a considerably large queue. Not to mention that when The Beast originally opened, it actually had another set of switchbacks, that resided where the photo booth and the exit path now reside.

Keep in mind that back in those days a large crowd was not dispersed among as many attractions as it is today. So using simple math, a crowd of 10,000 people with ten rides means 1,000 people for each ride. Now if you have twenty rides and get 10,000 people, then there are just 500 people per ride. Yes, this is an extreme over simplification of the situation, but the concept is the same.

Great photos, as always, Paul!

Its my understanding that the water around The Beast stunk to all high heavens, hence the removal. Looking at that picture, makes me wish they'd put in some sort of pond/fountain system back there. I wonder how many people have asked why the heck there's a water wheel by the station.

Its my understanding that the water around The Beast stunk to all high heavens, hence the removal. Looking at that picture, makes me wish they'd put in some sort of pond/fountain system back there. I wonder how many people have asked why the heck there's a water wheel by the station.

*raises hand slowly* I've asked... xD

All of these photos keep making me want to go digging through the hundreds of unsorted old family photos we have in the basement to see if I can find any from our annual trips to KI that we made when I was a kid. One of these days I might actually get around to doing that...

That 1972 / 2009 picture is kind of depressing. Kings Island looked like a gorgeous botanical garden in 1972. It looked so cold and corporate in the 2009 picture. That makes me realize just how important landscaping is.