Flashback Till Opening Day 2012

TOPGUN1993

Having worked at Sky Tours in 2005, that sign brings back a lot of memories. It still amazes me that people are willing to wait 45 minutes for that ride.

Everytime I see the lines for that thing (It still amazes me how slowly the line moves) I thank God that my 3 year old son would rather ride Boo Blaster, The Beastie (or whatever its called today), Viking Fury, or basically anything he's tall enough to get on than that thing.

Wow, that Flight of Fear picture brings back a lot of memories.

It was a very warm and sunny June Monday. I just graduated from Princeton HS and was working in an office in St. Bernard. They didn't want me taking a lot of time off since I was only going to be there for a little more than two months, but they graciously allowed me to take a half day which meant I could leave at 11. I snuck out a little early, stopped back home, picked up my friend Mike in my freshly washed '84 Accord and headed to the park. We got to the park a little before noon and headed back to the ride. I believe the official opening of the ride was supposed to happen at noon.

We got to the ride only to discover that there were a few people in front of us. They were holding the line outside of the building, but I remember the line stretching under The Racer (as shown in the picture). We followed the line which then wrapped around to the right, past the swings, past the arcade, past the speed pitch and ended right around the old Flight Commander spot where we found a spot at the end of the line. I believe the line backed up to at least Vortex by the time we started moving after the ride officially opened.

There's nothing quite like the energy that flows from the crowd during a big ride opening. I flashed back to the Cincinnati Enquirer article about the new ride, the specs, seeing the track layout for the first time and realizing that we were finally going to turn all of the anticipation into realization. I think that one brief moment is the reason why I love ride openings so much. It's not just the fact that you're going to get to ride but more that your frame of reference is going to shift. Your life, albeit it in a very small way, will be forever changed simply by being in that moment. It's a collection of things that will form an experience you'll remember for years to come. Your senses are heightened. The ride will be there for a long time but the experience of that day is singular.

I remember waiting outside in line for an hour and being happy we finally got to the part of the queues in the shade. I remember the anticipation of going down the ramp and seeing the inside of the building for the first time. I remember seeing the mirrors along the wall and mistakenly thinking we were only seeing half of the queue line. I remember the what seemed like hundreds of times we saw the pre-show video while in line. I remember the couple of breakdowns where the line wouldn't move for 20 minutes at a time. I remember finally making in into the spaceship. I remember hearing the launch for the first time and subsequent screams, oohs and aahs. I remember seeing the launch for the first time...

Zero to sixty in four seconds sounds impressive on paper, but I doubt that anyone who was there that first day will ever forget what it was like to see that train launch for the first time. Perhaps it was the fact that you could only see the top of the train being propelled into the tunnel only to disappear quickly into the abyss. I remember turning to my friend Mike with what I imagine was an open mouth and him turning to face me with exactly the same look. You then looked around to see the same look on so many other faces. I think that one moment instantly made the wait worthwhile.

Five hours in line later we boarded in the second row. It's interesting because I only remember 3 things about the actual first ride: the launch, seeing that first part of the cobra roll out in the distance, and that low to the ground and corkscrew finale being taken at what seemed like a ridiculous speed. And then it was over. "That was fun", we heard the riders in the front row exclaim. Mike and I both nodded our heads in agreement. A great end to what was a cool experience.

I probably had more fun at the openings of Son of Beast and Diamondback but the opening of Flight of Fear was definitely more memorable. That ride started what was the best summer of my life up to that point. Each time a major ride is announced at KI I realize that it's more than the ride that I look forward to. Those opening day moments at that ride are forever entwined with the ride itself. It's vivid memories of the park being etched in your mind that serve as reminders for how the park, you and others who shared in those moments with you continue to evolve. There's really nothing quite like those big ride opening days.

• Like 13

Having worked at Sky Tours in 2005, that sign brings back a lot of memories. It still amazes me that people are willing to wait 45 minutes for that ride.

Everytime I see the lines for that thing (It still amazes me how slowly the line moves) I thank God that my 3 year old son would rather ride Boo Blaster, The Beastie (or whatever its called today), Viking Fury, or basically anything he's tall enough to get on than that thing.

The capacity on that thing is horrible. I think we were doing good to get 300 people through in an hour.

I waited for about 4.5 hours for my first Flight of Fear ride.

I did as well, with my dad and my cousin...having absolutely no idea that I was waiting in line for a roller coaster, which I was terrifed of at the time. It would be eleven years before I got back on one after that.

HannaBarberaLandEnchantedVoyage%281975%29.jpg

It was in the area where Charlie Brown's Windup is presently located. It was on the right after you passed First Aid and entered Hanna Barbera Land. .

3 quick questions...(1) Almost hard to see at first, but could anybody please tell me what the name of the sky ride that's going over the building and (in your opinion) why another one hasn't replaced it yet? (2) What were those red poles (3 in the picture) that are identical in the childrens area? (3) I don't see any fencing anywhere...where people polite enough to stay on the sidewalks and didn't need corralled back then?

I remember some of KI, but being under 5 back in those days...I get KI and Americana memories mixed up. Coca-Cola had their employee days there at Americana and coming to KI was a bonus. All I can remember at KI at that age was the Log Flume, something with the Flintstones and seeing people walking their invisible dogs on leashes...oh the live water show. :lol: Thanks.

HannaBarberaLandEnchantedVoyage%281975%29.jpg

It was in the area where Charlie Brown's Windup is presently located. It was on the right after you passed First Aid and entered Hanna Barbera Land. .

3 quick questions...(1) Almost hard to see at first, but could anybody please tell me what the name of the sky ride that's going over the building and (in your opinion) why another one hasn't replaced it yet? (2) What were those red poles (3 in the picture) that are identical in the childrens area? (3) I don't see any fencing anywhere...where people polite enough to stay on the sidewalks and didn't need corralled back then?

I remember some of KI, but being under 5 back in those days...I get KI and Americana memories mixed up. Coca-Cola had their employee days there at Americana and coming to KI was a bonus. All I can remember at KI at that age was the Log Flume, something with the Flintstones and seeing people walking their invisible dogs on leashes...oh the live water show. :lol: Thanks.

1) that's the old skyride brought from Coney Island to Kings Island. It stopped running late 70's or early 80's (can't remember)

2) the red poles held a sort of shade mechanism that came from the lone pole in the center

3) we used to be a much more intuitive society...

That's because the little ones love it so much. That makes it worth it. Not all of life needs be spent in the Fast Lane.

I agree, Terp!

Believe me, if I could slow down my little girl's growing up, I would! She's 3, and pushing 40 inches tall. She is so excited to go to Kings Island! We will be there opening day. I'd love to be able to slow down time while we're there so I could watch her enjoy herself for even longer. I prefer the slow lane.. you can enjoy life more in it.

• Like 2

3) we used to be a much more intuitive society...

People used to actually care about other people's property and wouldn't destroy it. I don't know what's happened, but I was raised to repect the property of others. This is especially true of public places, like Kings Island. I don't carve my name into anything, I leave the scenery alone, and I use the trash cans. I am also raising my kids to respect the property of others. It's something more parents should do...

• Like 2