Flashback Till Opening Day 2012

TOPGUN1993

That's because the little ones love it so much. That makes it worth it. Not all of life needs be spent in the Fast Lane.

I agree, Terp!

Believe me, if I could slow down my little girl's growing up, I would! She's 3, and pushing 40 inches tall. She is so excited to go to Kings Island! We will be there opening day. I'd love to be able to slow down time while we're there so I could watch her enjoy herself for even longer. I prefer the slow lane.. you can enjoy life more in it.

As we learned last season, the 40" height is a pretty big mark for kiddie land. The Beastie and several other rides open up to them. Nothing beat watching my son's face riding Viking Fury last year when he was 2/3. Make sure to teach her to stand feet together, head up and back straight for the height check. Stuffing some tissues into her shoes wouldn't hurt either :)

Ah, good old Nickelodeon Splat City. I remember back in 1994 when I got to go to the park in early September, they had barricades up around broken pavement with green slime bubbling out to promote the new area. Any one else remember this?

The area has been revitalized many times since then, most notably in 2001 when the log flume was renovated and the Vekoma coaster (now Flying Ace Aerial Chase) opened.

HannaBarberaLandEnchantedVoyage%281975%29.jpg

It was in the area where Charlie Brown's Windup is presently located. It was on the right after you passed First Aid and entered Hanna Barbera Land. .

3 quick questions...(1) Almost hard to see at first, but could anybody please tell me what the name of the sky ride that's going over the building and (in your opinion) why another one hasn't replaced it yet? (2) What were those red poles (3 in the picture) that are identical in the childrens area? (3) I don't see any fencing anywhere...where people polite enough to stay on the sidewalks and didn't need corralled back then?

I remember some of KI, but being under 5 back in those days...I get KI and Americana memories mixed up. Coca-Cola had their employee days there at Americana and coming to KI was a bonus. All I can remember at KI at that age was the Log Flume, something with the Flintstones and seeing people walking their invisible dogs on leashes...oh the live water show. :lol: Thanks.

1) that's the old skyride brought from Coney Island to Kings Island. It stopped running late 70's or early 80's (can't remember)

2) the red poles held a sort of shade mechanism that came from the lone pole in the center

3) we used to be a much more intuitive society...

I didn't recall the year either, but it was 1977 (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ourhistory/2012/01/23/kings-island-skyride-failure-stranded-27/) when the ride had a failure. I remember the news coverage and the folks being stuck until they could get a cherry-picker up there. It would not have been fun climbing into that, but it sure woudl have beaten staying up there!

TTD-120-240 and Diamondbacker - I am glad to hear there are some teens out there that care about being respectful. If only more were like you two!

Oldiesman - those frivolous lawsuits really "grind my gears", so to speak. If I were the judge sitting on one of those, I'd say, "I'm sorry you're too stupid to watch out for yourself, but that doesn't mean (insert company here) should pay you anything at all for you getting injured while you were blatantly being an idiot." LOL (I know it's not that simple, but this is a fantasy here)

Medford and thatbandguy - I'll start training her today! lol... Also, I cannot wait to see her face on Viking Fury. One of her favorite things is to have her older cousins swing her around and toss her into the air, so she should love the airtime.

TTD-120-240 and Diamondbacker - I am glad to hear there are some teens out there that care about being respectful. If only more were like you two!

Oldiesman - those frivolous lawsuits really "grind my gears", so to speak. If I were the judge sitting on one of those, I'd say, "I'm sorry you're too stupid to watch out for yourself, but that doesn't mean (insert company here) should pay you anything at all for you getting injured while you were blatantly being an idiot." LOL (I know it's not that simple, but this is a fantasy here)

Medford and thatbandguy - I'll start training her today! lol... Also, I cannot wait to see her face on Viking Fury. One of her favorite things is to have her older cousins swing her around and toss her into the air, so she should love the airtime.

I used to work on the express and viking fury. she will love it. such a fun ride and i will miss working on it

• Like 1