Flashback Till Opening Day 2012

TOPGUN1993

Yes, Shockwave's operator booth is very similar to how King Cobra's was set up.

As for the color of The Beastie, it remained painted yellow through at least the 1987 season, because I have a picture of me riding it back then when I was terrified of roller coasters. They painted it blu shortly after that.

I have never found either King Cobra or KD's Shockwave to be rough. In fact, other than Georgia Scorcher, I have always thought the Togo's were by far the best stand-ups.

I never really had a problem with it either (other than the abrupt braking strip hault at the end). My buddies and I used a trick to lower the "bicycle seat" part of the restraint to avoid any mishaps to the lower region. If the seat sat too high the ups and downs could prove quite painful...if you ya know what I mean ;)

~Josh

As for the photo Vortex posted from 1980, are you sure that's our Beastie? I remember ours having the sign from above right until it closed.

That is from our Beastie. I remember that sign being there when I was a kid. 1980 was the first year I rode The Beast ( I was too short in '79) and I thought it was cool that The Beastie had a similar logo, with younger looking claws.

Ah if only that area looked as good today, I really miss that ride, Rivertown would make a whole lot more sense today if it was still around. Thanks for the pictures.

Edit - Not sure if this has been posted here before, but I did a quick Google search for Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal after seeing that pictured and found this video of some great raw footage from 1997, amazing how much has changed since then.

Edited by Delirium13
  • Like 1