Flashback Till Opening Day 2012

TOPGUN1993

...Wow. I don't think I've ever seen the International Showplace that full before. Must have been a good show.

By the way, I don't think I've said it yet in this thread: these are really great pictures! Like with standbyme's photos, seeing stuff like this really helps the off-season go by. Thanks for posting them!

Back in the day, there was so little shade at KI that the shows were often that full. And it *looks* like the dolphin show 'arena' to the left was still there in this picture!

OldieButGoodie:

Well, that and:

* there were far more multi-generational family groups attending. There was far more such a group could do TOGETHER. I think Mr. Ouimet gets this. I can't wait to see how this changes, but will have to.

* The shows themselves were far more diverse, high quality and fun. People didn't go just to sit down and cool down. Mr. Shapiro had that attitude at Six Flags, replacing many shows with old Dick Clark Productions DVD's. Thankfully, the new Six Flags is going big on shows. See particularly Fiesta Texas, Over Texas and Over Georgia.

OldieButGoodie:

Well, that and:

* there were far more multi-generational family groups attending. There was far more such a group could do TOGETHER. I think Mr. Ouimet gets this. I can't wait to see how this changes, but will have to.

* The shows themselves were far more diverse, high quality and fun. People didn't go just to sit down and cool down. Mr. Shapiro had that attitude at Six Flags, replacing many shows with old Dick Clark Productions DVD's. Thankfully, the new Six Flags is going big on shows. See particularly Fiesta Texas, Over Texas and Over Georgia.

Agree - I think - the shows themselves were made up of aspiring singers and dancers, and they were very, very good. I recall one wthat was country themed, and it would not surprise me to find the singers on radio or tv today. However, it's important to understand the demographic too. The teens are the target, that seems obvious, but to get multi-generational they'll have to continue to work on shade, seating, and waiting areas. Lots of folks miss the vine 'tunnel' between the tower and rivertown for example. They still have theirs at Carowinds, and it had folks sitting there every day in several benches. I *love* how compact KI is, but it's still a lot of walking if the aim is multi-generational (and I agree it should be) they have to continue to work on this. We went to Cedar Point this year, and the 'Sideshow - a Carnival of Magic' show was really entertaining. The cast interacted with the crowd, and they put on a *great* show. We sat first row at least twice and I *still* don't know how some of the illusions were done. ;-P My son got chosen to be the 'assistant' once, and he'll remember that forever. Overall though, I think Cedar Fair is doing a MUCH better job than Paramount ever did!

• Like 1

Wonder if we'll see any Beast photos from when the water was still around the station and running in the 'sluice'? That gave the ride so much character.

I think on the thread Countdown to Opening Day 2011, Paul did post such a photo.

In regards to the Delirium construction, look how bright and gleaming the paint is, wish it still looked like that.

For the handbook, I love how you can tell how times have changed, I would love to see the inside of it.

And what year is that when Viking Fury picture was taken?

As good as this thread is, I just "found" a cool classic KI picture I wanted to share, so...(this picture was on RCDB.com)

McSalsa Bonus #1: Scooby Doo!

cgaco0920010accn8d2gbv.jpg

(My apologies to TOPGUN1993 if he already had this picture and was going to use it...sorry if that was the case....I just thought this was cool)

• Like 2