Flashback Till Opening Day 2012

TOPGUN1993

Guest rcfreak339

^But was it in public eye? Rules on smoking were a TON different back then...I'd be willing to bet employees were allowed to smoke as long as it was not in public view. Perhaps that photo was taken sometime when guests weren't in the station.

Photo #23 - Istreet Buildings

page7zk.jpg

One of the few things Kings Island really should work on....those pictures are wonderful and International Street, along with the other themed venues, need to be treated better.

^But was it in public eye? Rules on smoking were a TON different back then...I'd be willing to bet employees were allowed to smoke as long as it was not in public view. Perhaps that photo was taken sometime when guests weren't in the station.

I think they're still allowed to smoke if it's in a backstage area. I wouldn't know, because I don't smoke! :)

Outer Hanks fun fact: Part of the building still has the stucco exterior like in that pic, it's just hidden from view.

As to the guy with the cigarette in his mouth, smoking in the early 80's was still fashionable. There weren't designated smoking areas and you could even smoke in the queue lines. And most likely employees could smoke even in view of the guests as a long as they were off duty.

I think they're still allowed to smoke if it's in a backstage area. I wouldn't know, because I don't smoke! :)

Outer Hanks fun fact: Part of the building still has the stucco exterior like in that pic, it's just hidden from view.

They also sold beer in buckets (I still have two of them) ... but I digress! :P

^So why isn't Ron Jeremy on the park's Wall Of Fame? :rolleyes:

You'd think they'd try to keep him away from the little kids! <_<

If your going to judge people like that, please GTFO of this topic. Thanks

Wow...just a joke....are you familiar with who Ron Jeremy is?

I'll gladly GTFO your topic. Thanks for the pics anyway.

Peace.

As good as this thread is, I just "found" a cool classic KI picture I wanted to share, so...(this picture was on RCDB.com)

McSalsa Bonus #1: Scooby Doo!

cgaco0920010accn8d2gbv.jpg

(My apologies to TOPGUN1993 if he already had this picture and was going to use it...sorry if that was the case....I just thought this was cool)

Love this pic. Brings back some great memories, as this was the first coaster I ever rode, back when it was Scooby. I was like 5 at the time and made my dad cover my eyes for most of the ride. LOL

I wonder if The Bat would still be there to this day if it would have run properly?

It ran just fine, just poor design. Lack of banking on the turns caused the shock absorbers to wear out prematurely, causing more wear-and-tear than was financially desirable. I really wish I had rode it. I was old enough at the time but had not yet become a coaster rider. That didn't happen til after The Bat was long gone. BTW, the ride that made me love coasters was the Double Loop at Geauga Lake, lol. I hated coasters til I rode that.

Lots of folks miss the vine 'tunnel' between the tower and rivertown for example.

I REALLY miss that tunnel, loved it as a kid!

Overall though, I think Cedar Fair is doing a MUCH better job than Paramount ever did!

I couldn't agree more! And I am really am looking forward to seeing how Mr. Ouimet will attract multigenerational families.

WOW. :o Epic picture.

WARNING: RANT ON 'EVOLUTION' OF Kings Island AHEAD!

Kings Island just doesn't do stuff like that anymore...which is a shame...the Kings Island of 1972-1987 was one of the greatest amusement parks in the world at the time. Great food, beautiful landscaping, great atmosphere, friendly employees, and the coasters that were added during that time were cutting edge, state-of-the-art (at the time) thrill machines that blew open new doors for the coaster world (even if The Bat failed, it still made an impact and paved the way for suspended and inverted coasters). Wait...Kings Island WAS BUSCH GARDENS!!! And that's a good thing.

And then, in 1987, Linder came in. Did some serious damage during his short stay, causing KI to become run-down and "dirty". Paramount followed in '93 and began turning KI into a move park- they meshed it well early-on, but in the 2000s they went and ka-flopped with the removal of several fan-favorite rides, the "parking lot" transformation from Wild Animal Habitat to Action Zone, and the destruction of the peaceful area behind the Eiffel Tower with Italian Job: Stunt Track. Cedar Fair's has done a decent job overall, but Diamondback (as good a ride as it is) destroyed Rivertown and the fact that SOB and Crypt are SBNO is not very good for the park- and they seem to have found a knack for angering people here on KIC, either it be the transformation of the kids area into Planet Snoopy in 2010 or the "Fast Lane" debut in 2011...(even though I personally like PS more than NickU, and don't have too big a problem with Fast Lane myself- then again I have yet to visit the park since it was installed but don't see how it could reduce capacity on rides like Beast & Diamondback to the point where I'd be waiting more than 10 extra minutes unless their "limited supply" means 5,000+ passes, and even if that was the case...weekdays!).

I hope Matt Quimet (or whomever is in charge of KI) looks through these pictures, sees what KI used to be, and begins to restore the park to its former glory- if that is at all possible. Kings Island is great now, yes, but seeing pictures like these...it was once so much more than just rides.

End rant.

Sorry 'bout all that...these pictures have that effect on me...even though I wasn't even born until Linder was in charge...and didn't visit KI until 2000.

• Like 3