New bill would prohibit minors from operating amus

Columbus coasternut

Friday, April 23, 2004) - Massachusetts Representative Ed Markey has introduced a new bill to the U.S. House of Representatives which would set the minimum age of 18 for amusement ride operators. The Amusement Park Ride Child Labor Act of 2004 -- bill HR 4190 -- would require the Department of Labor to declare the operation of "power-driven" amusement rides "hazardous" under the Fair Labor Standards Act. As a result, minors would no longer be allowed to operate amusement rides at the nation's carnivals and amusement parks.

"For the sake of both the young employees and the park patrons, who are disproportionately children themselves, the Department of Labor should recognize that operating roller coasters and thrill rides requires split-second judgments that, if mishandled, can injure both the operator and dozens of riders. Let minors take the non-hazardous jobs in our parks -- let adults run the rides," said Markey.

Markey cited the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which reports that 114 employees died while attending to amusement and recreation facilities during the 10-year period 1992-2002, and 7 of those fatalities involved children under the age of 18. During 2001, nonfatal injuries suffered by amusement ride attendants totaled 2,475, and nearly one out of every five injuries was suffered by a child employee.

"The fact is that in the past 15 years, the speed and complexity of amusement park rides has risen dramatically. All of the nation's 15 fastest coasters have been built in the last 10 years. But clearly, the margin for error is much narrower for the operator of a ride traveling at 100 mph than on a ride traveling 50 mph. People make mistakes, and the riders often act like children, because they often are children. This situation is dangerously compounded by allowing young teenagers to be put in charge of running these high-tech, high-speed machines," said Markey.

The bill was referred to the House Committee on Education and the Workforce.

Could minors be operating amusement rides at carnivals and amusement parks in your state?

Found this on http://members.aol.com/rides911/accidents.htm If you a minor i would E-mail your congress man and tell him what you think

I'm kinda mixed with this...

I can see where he is coming from and I think it would be a great idea to have ride ops be 18+.

However...

Since most kids 18+ don't work during the summer in amusement parks, it would be hard to try and staff all the rides with 18+ ride ops. Also, I know a lot of 16 year olds more mature than some 18 year olds and would trust them operating a ride more than the 18 years old.

It all boils down to the employee, their training and their attitude. I'm sure if someone were to look at the stats, most of the injuries suffered to the employees were probably a result of something a guest did to begin with.

Would you rather have someone who is older making minimum wage not going anywhere in life hating every day of their work and just doing enough to get by or the minors who actually love working at the park. PKI is the best with saftey at any park. There have been very few incidences someone was hurt on the job. Alot less then mcdonalds has.

I know that Cedar Point already requires their ride operators to be 18 or older. However, some parks, such as PKI and in particular Coney Island, would have an extremly tough time staffing rides. (Today at Coney, of the 8 rides employees that worked the Flower show, I think only two or three of us were 18.) Secondly, I think that maybe there should be some sort of classification as to the rides and who can operate them. Obviously, some children`s rides are not "hazardous." Most parks have built in systems to ensure the safety of employees and riders. Some of the more complex rides are operated by more seasoned employees. For example, at Coney, the hardest ride to run, the Ferris Wheel, is generally reserved for second year operators and up. Yes, I have seen some screwballs at Coney who were under 18 who did not deserve to be running rides (or technicaly, heavy machinery). However, there I also know of several that would do just fine.

If this law is passed, it coule spell trouble for smaller parks like Coney that can`t afford to pay their ride operators much. If they can`t afford to pay their ride operators much, they will not attract workers to run their rides, and will not be able to invest in new rides and in fixing the park. (Coney has invested a lot in sprucing up the park this season, BTW.) This would impact PKI too, because they often rely on local high school students to run their rides. I believe that with proper training and supervision, 16 and 17 year olds are capable of running amusement park rides. While this issue may have some merit, I think, if passed, it will do more harm than good.

I honestly wouldn't worry about Rep. Markey too much. This guy has been unsuccessfully trying to over-regulate the amusement industry for a long time.

A few years ago, he tried to make amusement parks and their safety fall under federal jurisdiction, instead of letting the states handle them. There was a whole line of B.S. coming from this guy for a while....all of it went nowhere. He grabs headlines for a while, and fades back to where he belongs.

I'm pretty sure his new bill has NO co-sponsors, and will not make it to a vote.

This guy needs a life.

I hope that bill doesn't pass. This is just my opinion. If I ever thought that a ride op regarless of age was incompatent I would not ride. Who are these 7 "children" that died, I have never heard anything about that. I know the sceam incident what are the others he is talking about.

I for one would feel great knowing that a non-minor was operating a ride. People DO make mistakes, that's the risk that amusement park customers take when they climb aboard extremely large and powerful rides such as Delirium, Top Thrill Dragster and Tomb Raider.

I also for one trust the operators of rides. I know that the park has trained them well (or should have, at least). Operating rides is a serious job and the people who do this should ALWAYS be prepared for disaster in its worst form (like a train on a coaster getting stuck upside-down on a loop).

That said, I think this bill is a bunch of bull. If a person is willing to place thier life in the hands of a ride operator under the age of 18, that's their choice.

One statment from Tiny:

I have just begun to learn how to operate my two rollar coaster and this is what I have learned...

"They are IDIOT proof"

All you really need to know is what to do in case something does happen...and you dont have to be 18 for that

Tiny

You are so wrong

Man... what a load of crap. I may be a Major, but I have to sympathize with the minors on this. Every rides associate knows that driving is a BIG responsibility. When you dispatch that ride, you're putting multiple lives in your hands as said before. I don't think that you would want to be blamed for hurting a crapload of people, which is why we have to take driving seriously. If they are trained properly, and they take it seriously, then they should be able to drive. If they don't take it seriously, they shouldn't have the right.

Point blank.

~S~

Thats becasue this bill is a direct attack agaisnt us personally. The park hasnt had a accident due to the ride operators being minors. If the park deemed it was unsafe for a minor to operate a ride it would not allow it. As for driving it takes an EXTREME amount of experience and showing your supervisor that you are responsable enough to drive. Also in reply to your previous post where is the proof that shows that minors are not able to operate a ride safely. If you think your kid will get hurt and dont want them in that situation then dont let them get the job there. If you dont like the fact that minors are responsable for your saftey then dont go to the park.

That problem with the egg was the first weekend the park was open and that problem was taken care of. That still doesnt prove it was a minor that did that. In fact I know that it wasnt. As for the first qoute that is the answer to everything if your unhappy with something in the park let them know that they will nolonger have you as a customer. Obviously if your still attending the park you feel that we are doing our job's good enough. In the end the final factor to saftey is the rider. Many peope can get out of their restraints with incredible ease. If you feel unsafe on the ride then dont ride it. The signs even say it out front.

One statment from Tiny:

I have just begun to learn how to operate my two rollar coaster and this is what I have learned...

"They are IDIOT proof"

All you really need to know is what to do in case something does happen...and you dont have to be 18 for that

Tiny

You are so wrong

Ok maybe there is a wee bit more to it but if these things weren't idiot proof then they wouldnt let alot of the people that drive them, drive them...if that makes sense...

You would have to go through a heck of alot more training if these machines werent idiot proof. Just think about what the majority of the stuff you are taught when you are trained is all about???

Tiny

If you dont like the fact that minors are responsable for your saftey then dont go to the park.

This is always the answer, isn't it? The effect rubs off after a while.

Also in reply to your previous post where is the proof that shows that minors are not able to operate a ride safely.

You cannot have this kind of behavior occurring in the station.

Do you know how windy it is in the station???? Things blow into the track all the time and the associates get them out as soon as possible...Things blow into the track...it just happens....especially at SOB where the station is always a wind tunnel

Sheesh

Tiny

No, I have never really noticed the wind while standing inside of a station or platform. Either way, the poster who posted that picture described the persons involved in the "incident" as tossing the plastic egg to one another across the track.

The managers are more then happy to hear any complaints that the guests have. The fact still remains that there are more injuries at mcdonalds due to whatever reason then on rides. If you really feel that this is a issue that need's to be handled then go to guest relations. Im not even going to argue anymore because it looks extremley unprofessional on my part and the majority of the posters on this site. So im going to be the grown up here I told you were to go where your views can be considered.

I don't know about the rides at PKI but I think on the Travel Channel they said the Riddler's Revenge computer will not allow a train to leave unless all the restraints are down.  Maybe PKI's rides are this way, but I don't know.

Yup

Tiny

Either way, the poster who posted that picture described the persons involved in the "incident" as tossing the plastic egg to one another across the track

This isn't against you Domi b.c I know you were quoting someone else but I was actually there and there was no throwing the egg across the track...it blew in from over by the garbage can

Guest Relations is there to hear your concerns about the park, I mean, that is what they get paid for. Just never say anything bad about Guest Relations people. Or I might go hostile. While your at it, don't say anthing bad about Beast/Scooters, Action Theater, DropZone/DOT or SOB/Gun people.

Heres your funny picture to go along with this..

user posted image

The managers are more then happy to hear any complaints that the guests have. The fact still remains that there are more injuries at mcdonalds due to whatever reason then on rides. If you really feel that this is a issue that need's to be handled then go to guest relations. Im not even going to argue anymore because it looks extremley unprofessional on my part and the majority of the posters on this site. So im going to be the grown up here I told you were to go where your views can be considered.

My lord, this is not an arguement. This is a discussion. Do you honestly think that I feel this bill is right? No, I don't. Sometimes it does not hurt to have a devils advocate. It gets discussions going.

Amazing, you can't even dissagree with someone without them getting all bent out of shape and labeling conversations as arguements.

All I have to say about this bill...

If its unsafe for minors to operate large rides/pieces of equipment because there have been 7 deaths of minors out of how many at amusement parks in the past 10 years...

Then why is there no bill out there to prohibit minors from driving vehicles where there are many more injuries, tickets, accidents, and deaths caused from minor drivers than there are for amusement park related accidents.

Like others have said, this Markey guy has always had issues with amusement parks and safety. He's tried many things to restrict the parks and what they can build and many other things, as well as starting the huge "Are roller coasters safe" stuff last year. Nothing has happened and he keeps hiding back in the dark, then rearing his head again to bring up some other issue.