Want to help us?

Guest KingsIslandPR

Guest KingsIslandPR

As you may have heard, we're developing a new website. We are looking for new wallpaper images for the downloads section. Would you like to help us with that?

If you're interested in helping, click on the link below for sizing and e-mail your images to me at Don.Helbig@visitkingsisland.com. If we use your image(s) we'll give you a behind the scenes tour of The Beast during one of your visits.

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/fun/downloads/index.cfm

We are in need of the images as soon as possible.

Thanks!

• Like 3

Guest KingsIslandPR

KingsIslandPR- If we win the backstage tour of The Beast, are we allowed to bring a friend or two with us?

Thanks!

Yes, you would be able to bring a friend or two (or more) with you for the tour.

Once upon a time people studied hard, apprenticed, and sweated through brutal shoots to gain the knowledge and skills to be respected and hired as a professional photographer. Many squeaked out livings taking pictures and videos that were sold to corporations for their marketing campaigns.

I'm guessing this new website is not a charity, and KI has some plans to generate revenue of some type for the Cedar Fair corporation from this new site. Why not pay someone who is trying to eak out a living for professional photos considering money in some form will be generated from this site. Or at least (as TOPGUN1993 suggested) offer a well placed photo credit so the photographer can link to this site for their marketing purposes so they can try to get some paid work down the road.

If there is still a photography industry, it's stuff like this that will kill it.

Once upon a time people studied hard, apprenticed, and sweated through brutal shoots to gain the knowledge and skills to be respected and hired as a professional photographer.

But on the other hand, this could be the lucky break some budding photographer needs to get his/her work noticed. ;)

I think it is great that the park is coming here...this is what USED to be so great about this site back in the day, the park treated "us" as an ally not an enemy. I know that there are at least 5 posters on this board who take excellent photos so I bet they get some good submissions. :)

But on the other hand, this could be the lucky break some budding photographer needs to get his/her work noticed. ;)

No offer was made for a photo credit so how are they going to get noticed. So a budding photographer wanting to market their work won't get that "lucky break".

BTW as you proved in the fantastic thread of your photos, great shots are a result of experience and very hard work. If someone wants to reproduce any of the shots, you should get paid for the very hard work you put into those. If not pay, then at least a credit.

Not a single shot on the link provided had a single photo credit which means KI paid someone to shoot them, or for the rights to use them uncredited.

Why doesn't KI fire the Graphic Designer, Content Managers, Programmers, Sales people, and anyone else responsible for this new site and just get submissions for free? Why not just have a huge gathering of the freelance creative community to trade their work for a free tour?

I'm with you that it's great KI is participating on this site, and an enemy of KI I won't be, but it seems kinda cheesy to hit a fan site up for something they should be paying for, or giving credit to.

• Like 2

Once upon a time people studied hard, apprenticed, and sweated through brutal shoots to gain the knowledge and skills to be respected and hired as a professional photographer. Many squeaked out livings taking pictures and videos that were sold to corporations for their marketing campaigns.

People still do this, many people actually. I'm one of them.

I'm guessing this new website is not a charity, and KI has some plans to generate revenue of some type for the Cedar Fair corporation from this new site. Why not pay someone who is trying to eak out a living for professional photos considering money in some form will be generated from this site. Or at least (as TOPGUN1993 suggested) offer a well placed photo credit so the photographer can link to this site for their marketing purposes so they can try to get some paid work down the road.

If there is still a photography industry, it's stuff like this that will kill it.

There most definitely is still a photography industry. It's ever-changing and certain companies utilize it a lot better than others, but I wouldn't say it's dying or that something like this would kill it. Here's my two cents:

This is a neat opportunity for anyone who has some good shots and would like to contribute. i whole heartedly agree that some form of credit or a link to the photographer's website should be given. However, there's no revenue they're going to generate by offering free wallpapers for site visitors to see or download. It'd be one thing if they're using these photographs as marketing material, but according to the original post they're just asking if anyone would like to contribute some wallpapers.

I know when I was 15, first reading this site and first getting into photography I would've jumped on something like this. Why not? If it's good enough and they use it as a wallpaper, it adds some credibility to your work. It may not be a big thing on a resume, but it's still cool.

Now, if these photographs showed up in something the photographer didn't originally agree to (advertisements, promotional material etc.), then there'd be a problem.

No offer was made for a photo credit so how are they going to get noticed. So a budding photographer wanting to market their work won't get that "lucky break".

BTW as you proved in the fantastic thread of your photos, great shots are a result of experience and very hard work. If someone wants to reproduce any of the shots, you should get paid for the very hard work you put into those. If not pay, then at least a credit.

Not a single shot on the link provided had a single photo credit which means KI paid someone to shoot them, or for the rights to use them uncredited.

I sincerely doubt that KI paid someone to specifically come in and shoot photos that could be used on their site as wallpapers. The ones they already have were probably grabbed from marketing/event shoots they hired a photographer for. However, if people are just contributing wallpaper images then I don't see a problem especially if they're getting a tour in exchange. It's something fun. I'm sure Don could walk around the park a few days in the summer and get some good shots and I know he has in the past, but why not let some KICers contribute something cool? And in exchange you get a backstage tour for you and some friends. I think that's reasonable compensation for some background wallpapers.

Why doesn't KI fire the Graphic Designer, Content Managers, Programmers, Sales people, and anyone else responsible for this new site and just get submissions for free?

There's a fine line between a few good shots that people contribute from here as wallpapers and professional work. No offense to anyone here, but if the park wants/needs something professionally done they'll probably hire someone for that job and I doubt they'd hire someone specifically wallpaper images. They could just not have any on their site and the world would go on just fine.

I'm with you that it's great KI is participating on this site, and an enemy of KI I won't be, but it seems kinda cheesy to hit a fan site up for something they should be paying for, or giving credit to.

Like I said, they said it's just for wallpaper images. If it was for something bigger or an ad campaign, that'd be different, but if it's just for wallpapers - no big deal.

• Like 5

I love photography. It is my 2nd favorite hobby (after being an amusement park enthusiast) But I also know that my work isn't going to produce any sort of revenue. I don't put enough time into it to develop it that far, nor plan on it. But it is nice to have an opportunity to have a chance to have my works in the public eye, and who knows.. maybe on someone's desktop. Could KI have hired a photographer to take these photos? Sure they could have. But are they any less of a company because they want to get people they know love the park, AND can take great pics involved, if they so choose? I don't believe so. Some people like to do stuff for the hobby of it, not for monetary gain.

• Like 3

I think it's a cool thing. KI is using what they have available to them and... They contacted our members directly. If we help them with some images they want, don't you think they'll be more kind to us in the future. Wouldn't it be even cooler if they designated which wallpapers were provided by fans... not hired professionals.

I'm not so sure when "if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" became a bad thing. They're compensating you with a beast tour if you win. If we can make PR's job easier, maybe they'll spend some free time organizing another RWCW (dream)...

• Like 2

I think its great KI is asking us, plus a backstage tour of The Beast. :) That really cool they offered us the chance to help out with something to do with the park. Not cheesy at all. The more people complain the less likely they are to ever ask us to do stuff like this anymore.

• Like 2