75th Anniversary of 1937 Flood

pilotank

This is the 75th Anniversary of the historic 1937 Ohio River Flood.

This flood devestad Coney Island.

1937 Flood 9.jpg

The Cincinnati Museum is having a lecture this Thursday:

Click here to view the online version of this email cmc_header_01a.gif cmc_home-a.gif cmc_currentevents-a.gif cmc_theater-b.gif cmc_subscribe.gif cmc_side_bottom.gif Join us Thursday, January 19 at 7:30 p.m. for a lecture by Rick Bell on The Great Ohio Valley Flood of 1937

1937-flood-006.jpg

On January 5, 1937, water levels began to rise as heavy rains poured down. Nearly two weeks later, numerous homes were flooded as the Ohio River started to overflow its banks. On this day in 1937, a lot of Ohioans were rendered homeless. Our lecturer, Rick Bell, has done extensive research on the floods. He will discuss how the waters reached as far as Indiana and Louisville, Kentucky as we honor the 75th anniversary of this event in Cincinnati's history. Haven't had the opportunity to learn much about the flood? Click here to watch a video. Our curator of photographs from the Cincinnati History Library and Archives shows images of the flood from our collection. cmc_footer.gif

cmc_footer_logo.gifCincinnati Museum Center | 1301 Western Avenue | Cincinnati OH 45203

Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend

Also, the Anderson Twp. Historical Society also has a lecture and display:

The Anderson Township Historical Society offers a special exhibit at the History Room “Remembering the 1937 Flood,” drawn from scrapbooks and photographs kept by Township families. Come visit the History Room during its open hours: Sunday and Wednesday afternoons, 1 to 4 p.m., and Tuesday evenings, 6 to 9 p.m. History Room, Anderson Center, 7850 Five Mile Road, Lower Level, 231-2114.

This year is the 75th anniversary of the Great 1937 Ohio River Flood. The Ohio River reached its highest point in recorded history with a crest at 79.99 feet in Cincinnati on Tuesday, January 26, 1937. The Ohio and tributaries such as the Little Miami River climbed out of their banks, flooding about one-sixth of Hamilton County. More than 100,000 people were driven from their homes in Greater Cincinnati. Property damage was estimated in excess of $25 million dollars. Anderson Township was cut off from the rest of Hamilton County as the waters rose and closed all the connecting bridges over the Little Miami River. On January 21, 1937, water poured over the Beechmont Levee closing the main highway connection, uprooting the telegraph and telephone poles, breaking the gas main and carrying away the electrical wire standards. Low areas in Newtown and around California were completely submerged. Residents were evacuated. Many buildings in these areas were torn from their foundations and swept away. Local flood refugees were housed at the Mt. Washington School, Anderson School and the American Legion Hall on Clough Pike (now Clough Crossings Restaurant). After the Cincinnati waterworks and power plants were inundated, all electric power and water were turned off except for limited periods for almost two weeks. Anderson School was closed from January 25 to February 8. During the height of the flood, Coney Island was covered. Nothing like it had ever happened before or after.

AND REMEMBER the monthly meeting - Invite your friends.

FEBRUARY 1, 2012 ATHS Meeting at Anderson Center 7:30 p.m.

“Remembering the 1937 Flood” Mr. Neil Jeffries, a speaker from the Cincinnati Museum Center, will be in the Lower Atrium to talk about Ohio River Floods and in particular - the devastating flood of 1937, which brought great fear and destruction to Cincinnati and outlying regions. You may remember (some of us do) that Newtown was under water for a time and Mt. Washington was "cut-off" due to the flooding, making travel impossible. Photos of rowboats on Cincinnati streets became a common sight. Remember with us this momentous time in our history! We'll look forward to seeing YOU on February 1st!

pilotank

• Like 1

My Grandpa was a hydrologist and predicted river levels and would've loved this. Coney Island used to call him up to ask if there was going to be any problems. They'd offer him free tickets for his service, but he'd always turn them down since he worked for the government and technically wasn't supposed to receive gifts. My mom and my aunts and uncles would get pretty upset at that. From what I've been told, a flood like this would be hard to happen again with the dams and what not. It wouldn't take much, though, to cause Coney extensive damage. Here's some pictures I took from the flood at Coney last year.

199535_1653019171383_1414140270_31428609_2914121_n.jpg

197625_1653019971403_1414140270_31428611_4499702_n.jpg

196931_1653019491391_1414140270_31428610_3681090_n.jpg

... and a fake old one that I made that I think looks kind of cool

199644_1656218251358_1414140270_31431831_721513_n.jpg

• Like 1

• Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 18 posts

Posted Today, 02:30 PM

My Grandpa was a hydrologist and predicted river levels and would've loved this. Coney Island used to call him up to ask if there was going to be any problems. They'd offer him free tickets for his service, but he'd always turn them down since he worked for the government and technically wasn't supposed to receive gifts. My mom and my aunts and uncles would get pretty upset at that. From what I've been told, a flood like this would be hard to happen again with the dams and what not. It wouldn't take much, though, to cause Coney extensive damage. Here's some pictures I took from the flood at Coney last year.

Thanks for the photo's!

I was actually down at CI about the same time.

One of the maintenance workers caught a 25lbs. catfish in a back-hoe

right by the car entrance!

pilotank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. He has some pretty crazy pictures! Hopefully, flooding doesn`t happen again this year. I was down at Coney late in the evening last year right before Easter moving stuff to higher ground. The flooding also caused the cancellation of the Appalachian Festival, which will be going on this year.

Nice pictures, Kevin!

• Like 1