Soak City Construction Continues

These days, new wave pools don't have intense waves. Do the wave pool KI currently have let off intense waves?

The current wave pool is of the "small wave" variety. The new wave pool is supposed to be on par with the waves at Cedar Point, or about two times the size of those at Kings Island and The Beach.

The reason why I ask is because SFKK wave pool had EXTREME intense waves that would give you a punch when it was operating. Holiday World wave pools have very small waves. I never been to the beach but I hope they have some good waves when I visit this summer,

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the Beach goes they are in financial troubles. The improvement that they made last year really didnt cost very much as I recall. Also this is the only waterpark that i know of that buys waterslides and lets them rot in their parking lot. Unless the beach does a massive expansion there is no way they could stay competitive. you know there is a problem when the owner doesnt realize that charging 8.50 to park and 25 in the door just isnt worth it. The owners need to take off the blinders and open their eyes. Their park is so run down its NOT funny. Did a google search on customer reviews and its a bad thing when a buisness ranks 3 stars let alone a Waterpark. Also what system of training dio these lifeguards have? Look up Ellis and Associates which every waterpark but the Beach uses this system is probally the best program ive ever used.

I hadn't gone to the Beach since they changed the Pearl into an all ages pool. It used to be adults only. It was nice to be able to sit along the edge of the water and not have a five year old try to get your attention by kicking water at you.

I don't have kids, but many parents thought it was just peachy to load theirs off on me, while they snarfed potato chips in the shade.

I have always heard that the Beach did pretty good attendance wise. Me personally I'm still surprized the Beach is still open

I have been a patron of the Beach Waterpark since 1994 and even worked there one season in the offices. About 70% of the guests are season pass holders and it can be argued that the Beach has a more relaxed feel to it - which is why these patrons continue to return year after year. I never viewed Kings Islands waterpark to be a threat to the Beach until now...so, we'll see how this turns out for the Beach in the next few seasons.

The new, dramatically improved Soak City cannot but be a major threat to The Beach. The lack of recent commensurate capital investment at The Beach is going to stand out like a sore thumb. Perhaps The Beach should be hoping that Soak City is a colossal success beyond anyone's wildest dreams, and The Beach can absorb some of the overflow. Like Coney Island a decade ago, it can market its shorter lines and lighter crowds.

I believe that you meant to say "Coney Island" and not Conry.

I`ve heard that The Beach actually is on shaky ground. When was the last time that they added anything significant to the park? Not to mention, they canceled their winter event this past year. Certainly doesn`t speak well of the future for that park.

The Beach seems to draw a lot from the local area and really caters to that niche market. If KI Soak City remains over crowded during the days as in the past on weekends then I do not see The Beach losing much attendance if not gain more as Interpreter eluded to.

...and The Beach would go broke if they tried some of the stuff CF has done (overpriced food/lockers, turning the waterpark into more of a concrete jungle, etc.).

I haven't been to The Beach in a few years, but I distinctly recall food prices on par - if not more inflated - than Kings Island's. I also remember a "Roller Bowler" style game, similar to what KI has, but at four times the cost with smaller prizes. The whole atmosphere reminded me of a cheap fair or carnival, only with a lot more water.

The Beach is a different world from Kings Island. Every couple of years a topic seems to appear on here that The Beach is at its end, yet it still keeps on. I haven't visited as a guest in a few years, but last season I shot some photos for an event there and have a few good friends who work there.

I get what Ty is saying about the "carnival" feel, but the place was still clean and fun when I was there. They operate on a much smaller budget than Kings Island and offer a different product. When we wrapped up our photo shoot last summer, my friend and I were having some beers at their adult cabana bar thing. Everyone sitting around the bar was a regular season pass holder.

The Beach is unique in that it offers a lot less than Kings Island, but that's a good thing. It's a lot more shaded, but is much more intimate and personal. The employees know the "regulars," and I guarantee you that their lifeguard staff is very highly trained. Word seems to get around that they're in tough financial times each year, but alas they re-open. The cancellation of the winter event is surprising though. I took my little cousins last year and the place was jam packed.

Even still, I don't see The Beach fading anytime fast like Surf Cincinnati did:

surf_0002.jpg

And as for The Beach's slides in the field by Waffle House:

6729673141_a9c579ea87_b.jpg

I believe those came from Wyandot Lake. From what I've heard, they've always planned on installing them, but money and space were an issue. Plus, that stuff has been out there since 2006, who knows what mechanical/electrical equipment still works.

My family greatly prefers The Beach over KI's waterpark. We even bought season passes for The Beach this year. When it comes down to it, the overall atmosphere is much better at The Beach. More shade, less crowds, more thrilling slides, mom and pop feel, the list goes on and on. Sorry but another wave pool and a few buckets over a lazy river isn't going to point us in KI's direction anytime soon.

Maybe Beach waterpark owned by a koch' family member buy out!

That would put a serious threat to Kings Island water park.

I could see if Ki expands the water park, the train ride could be re routed , and the waterpark is a seperate park.

Sure hope that does not happen in this life time.

The Beach needs something major!!!

Plus so close to two indoor waterparks too.

I would much rather The Beach renovate the waterpark than add a new attraction, at least this year. It was so dirty and run down when I went two summers ago. I waited for food for forty five minutes, thanks to one person running the register. Also, way over priced.

I honestly still prefer The Beach than Boomerang Bay, but I think with this expansion Soak City will be much better.

Maybe Beach waterpark owned by a koch' family member buy out!

That would put a serious threat to Kings Island water park.

The Koch's have bigger fish to fry before considering purchasing The Beach. And as far as a threat to KI goes... even if someone invested a large amount of capital into The Beach - KI still has a massive amusement park on the other side of its water park. Both come with admission.

I don't think the Beach and KI really compete. They just co-exist and cater to different crowds. As AZKindaGuy said, the Beach is more laid back and strictly a waterpark. If I was going somewhere with just a waterpark in mind, I'd pick the Beach too.

Plus so close to two indoor waterparks too.

Again, apples to oranges. You're comparing a full scale waterpark to the Great Wolf Lodge which is a hotel rather than just a waterpark. I doubt anyone plans their vacation and says: "Hey, do we go to the Days Inn and get Beach tickets or do we just do a few nights at the Great Wolf Lodge!?" If people are coming to GWL in the summer, it's probably because they're going to the nearby attractions as well.

And CoCo Key - I don't know if I'd call that really "close by" as far as competitors are concerned.

Sorry but i dont see the beach getting any better any time soon. Worked there for 3 seasons (Lifeguard,Security,First Aid) then desided that enough was enough. BTW I know that they do not equip these lifeguards right. they lack in rescue tubes as is? (These are used so that the guest has something else to grab ahold of instead of the lifeguard which puts the lifeguard in Danger) I can count on two hands how many of those are out in the park. Every Lifeguard is supposed to be equiped with these but alais they are not. Also standard equipment for a lifeguard is a bathing suit, t shirt, hat, wistle,fanny pack with CPR mask in most parks. I for one will not go there again untill that is fixed. Also again this is the only park that uses red cross training for lifeguards. There is a reason greatwolf lodge, coco key, Kings Island, Coney Island and the City of Cincinnati uses Ellis and Associates Training it is because it is better. It was night and day between Coco Key and the Beach. We got the equipment and was tested more at Coco Key than what i was at the Beach. At. Coco Key we were regularly tested With two V.A.T. Dummies. I can tell you i was never tested at the beach in any manor. Twice a month at Coco key we were required to go to training to practice our skills. Not once were we required to go to any continuing ed classes at the beach. I can tell you the 10/10 rule which is 10 seconds to visualize and 10 to respond. Is probally the greatest thing ive learned in lifeguarding. Also Ellis and associates teaches us to constintly scan the entire pool including the bottom of the pool. Read up on Ellis and Associates you can see why im going on and on about them. Gordon im not saying what you are saying isnt true and i honor your opinion, im just saying they have been saying that for years and they do have the space for those slides i hate seeing them sit there and rot. On a different note. As far as the cleanliness of the park It is dequsting and will most likely be their downfall if they dont fix it.

Sorry but i dont see the beach getting any better any time soon. Worked there for 3 seasons (Lifeguard,Security,First Aid) then desided that enough was enough. BTW I know that they do not equip these lifeguards right. they lack in rescue tubes as is? (These are used so that the guest has something else to grab ahold of instead of the lifeguard which puts the lifeguard in Danger) I can count on two hands how many of those are out in the park. Every Lifeguard is supposed to be equiped with these but alais they are not. Also standard equipment for a lifeguard is a bathing suit, t shirt, hat, wistle,fanny pack with CPR mask in most parks. I for one will not go there again untill that is fixed. Also again this is the only park that uses red cross training for lifeguards. There is a reason greatwolf lodge, coco key, Kings Island, Coney Island and the City of Cincinnati uses Ellis and Associates Training it is because it is better. It was night and day between Coco Key and the Beach. We got the equipment and was tested more at Coco Key than what i was at the Beach. At. Coco Key we were regularly tested With two V.A.T. Dummies. I can tell you i was never tested at the beach in any manor. Twice a month at Coco key we were required to go to training to practice our skills. Not once were we required to go to any continuing ed classes at the beach. I can tell you the 10/10 rule which is 10 seconds to visualize and 10 to respond. Is probally the greatest thing ive learned in lifeguarding. Also Ellis and associates teaches us to constintly scan the entire pool including the bottom of the pool. Read up on Ellis and Associates you can see why im going on and on about them. Gordon im not saying what you are saying isnt true and i honor your opinion, im just saying they have been saying that for years and they do have the space for those slides i hate seeing them sit there and rot. On a different note. As far as the cleanliness of the park It is dequsting and will most likely be their downfall if they dont fix it.

/End Rant

I understand that the Ellis and Associates training is considered to be much better and that is a good argument, but when is the last time that you heard of someone dying at The Beach?

I do remember a child drowning at Great America in 2007, does anyone know if that is Red Cross or Ellis and Associates Training?

I'm curious to see if there are any stats that back up the argument of RC vs. EaA.

I like the beach, I've even had wedding party parties there, but its clean, never have I saw it was dirty, never waited on food, and their safety is good.

The park needs updated, new funds coming in that is why I'm suprised a cash flow for the Christmas event was cancelled.

The down fall to me still is, the fact surf cincinnati closed years ago, sure, but the YMCA's have alt family deals now with more indoor water fun, Coc CO key came to Cincinnati, as did Great Wolf, sure apples to oranges, but still competition, around the tri state.

Also the fact the economy got worse for the families that make 1 trip to a amusement /theme or water park they need a bang for the buck why not Kings Island, or Coney for that matter, to get a ride and slide , chill and trill package.

When you split up the great wolf lodge costs its not bad either for a great themed, great staff, and in the middle of a Cincinnati/Dayton winter not bad at all.

The beach to survive must evolve, in todays economic times, with some new stuff, new slides, and innovation that made it one of the best water parks...