Classic KI Pics

rcs

^Funny how when I was a kid Shaggy looked perfect....now, not so much! :P

What is that blue "creature" off to the bottom left?

matthunterross...thanks for sharing your photos...there are some unique views of the park. :)

Looks like a shark.I don't know if it's from a specific cartoon or just a generic character created for the ride.

• Like 1

Great Pictures added, thanks for the memories relived through pictures.

Looking at the old Kings Island kids rides? Do you think Kings Island would ever add another kids land ? Do we need it?

Even a small one on the other side of the park.

We sure do need some type of family tiques or speedway type cars.

^Funny how when I was a kid Shaggy looked perfect....now, not so much! :P What is that blue "creature" off to the bottom left? matthunterross...thanks for sharing your photos...there are some unique views of the park. :)
Looks like a shark.I don't know if it's from a specific cartoon or just a generic character created for the ride.

It was indeed a shark. To the best of my knowledge, just a generic shark.

Great Pictures added, thanks for the memories relived through pictures.

Looking at the old Kings Island kids rides? Do you think Kings Island would ever add another kids land ? Do we need it?

Even a small one on the other side of the park.

We sure do need some type of family tiques or speedway type cars.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. KI of yesteryear really had it right - separating out lands and themes, and keeping a nice balance between thrill and slow moving rides. The one thing about Cedar Fair is that they seem to think thrill rides are the end all be all of the theme park experience, and they'll throw any ride anywhere.

Les Taxis, for example, was a perfect attraction that the whole family could do together to take respite from the craziness of the day.

Just for reference... Cedar Fair did not remove Les Taxi... Paramount did. As far as I'm aware.. Cedar Fair has not removed any rides from Kings Island (although, there are two large thrill rides that are not operating.. but they are thrill rides.. not family rides).

You're right - sorry for the blanket statement. I guess I was quickly remembering the differences between Cedar Point and KI back in the 80s - how Cedar Point had more thrill rides but was less themed (and the lands less compartmentalized). And then how that mentality seems to be reflected in the current moves at KI - recently added coasters that have basically been plopped down without much thought to overall park themeing, or without consideration of adding/keeping areas where visitors can relax.

Just for reference... Cedar Fair did not remove Les Taxi... Paramount did. As far as I'm aware.. Cedar Fair has not removed any rides from Kings Island (although, there are two large thrill rides that are not operating.. but they are thrill rides.. not family rides).

You're right - sorry for the blanket statement. I guess I was quickly remembering the differences between Cedar Point and KI back in the 80s - how Cedar Point had more thrill rides but was less themed (and the lands less compartmentalized). And then how that mentality seems to be reflected in the current moves at KI - recently added coasters that have basically been plopped down without much thought to overall park themeing, or without consideration of adding/keeping areas where visitors can relax.

While I agree that most of the rides added by Cedar Fair have been thrill rides (Firehawk, Diamondback, WindSeeker) I have to disagree with taking much consideration to areas where guest can relax. The addition of Diamondback brought a complete renovation to Rivertown, with plenty of benches and landscaping added. Same thing with Planet Snoopy and Coney Mall. While they have not brought in any family rides, I believe they have done their part in beautifying the park.

I've seen a lot of references to the removal or need of more "relaxing" family rides, or rides the family can all do together. I feel, at least for my family anways, that there is a pretty good selection.

Last season, with the wife and a 2 (then 3 late in the season) in tow about 1 evening a week, we had a pretty steady diet of:

Viking Fury

Scrambler

Monster

Boo Blasters

Beastie

Train ride

Race for your life

Pumpking Coaster

Shake Rattle & Roll

Plus a handful of kid rids my son could do by himself.

assuming he keeps on growing at the same pace, I imagine we'll add Surf Dog & the yellow suspended coaster in kiddie land.

I have little doubt my son would have loved the antique cars, but I've never felt like we were at a loss for things to do. We didn't try Dinos Alive until the fall, but there's another attraction (sadly at an upcharge) that has been added. I'll agree with Kingsrattler, there are a number of areas in the park that are perfect for sitting and relaxing, yet they're hardly used. Anytime we stay for the fireworks, we do so by grabbing ice cream from Action Zone and sit at the benches behind Delirium. You get a nice breeze of drop zone and Delirium, a great view of the fireworks, and we're always the only people sitting in that area enjoying the show. There's a nice area behind the skyline chili that doesn't get used much, but has some nice views, shade and gives a you place to sit down and relax. I wish they'd do something w/ the Tower Gardens, get it back to what it once was, but otherwise there are nice places to sit and relax and take in the view all over the park, and from my experience, with a few exceptions, they are under utilized.

I think it sounds nice to say you want "more family rides" and places to relax, but park development tells me that doesn't give them the best bang for their buck. The Antiques, while a nice ride, took up a ton of space and had to cost a ton to operate. I have a feeling that if the train wasn't used to shuttle people b/w the park and the water park, it would be long gone by now as well. Aside from people shuttling back and forth, there aren't a ton of people interested in riding the thing.

Adventure Express is about the perfect family coaster. There are no large hills, no big dips, it doesn't go upside down or move incredibly fast. It seats are plenty big enough for an above average size adult and the height requirements restrict only kids below 4'. Last year I rode AE several times, I can't do rides that spin a ton like the scramble, so while my wife took my son on that, I'd hit either The Racers or AE. Adventure Express was never anything more than a walkup attraction.

At the end of the day, if spills and chills isn't the thing for you, I don't think an amusement park is the place for you. I'm afraid Disney is a bit unique as it offers much more relaxing family rides but has a huge movie/tv department to help back that up and promote the park. Cedar Fair survives on the 1x or 2x a year visitor, Disney works on the once a decade visitor. If you visit once a decade, getting on "its a small world" is almost a must and lines reflect. If you're going on a regular basis, its just a slow boat ride that hasn't been updated in forever.

And who in the heck is Blabber Mouse? Thats another H-B character I have never heard of.

He was in the short 5 minute type cartoons. I have such fond memories of watching tons of Hanna-Barbera cartoons on WTTV back in the day.

Kids of today really missed out not being able to sit down every day to watch cartoons with a host who introduced the cartoons...read letters from the viewers...

My favorite was Cowboy Bob at lunch-time...there was also Janie in the mornings before school.

Good times. (Which I am guessing Avatar, IndyGuy4KI 7 many others on here can attest too.)

Growing up, I watched Mr. Cartoon on WSAZ out of Huntington, WV. I don't think he showed any H-B cartoons. I remember seeing lot of Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, Popeye, and Mighty Mouse on his show. Fond memories.

I grew up in Huntington too. I now live across the river in Proctorville. I loved Mr. Cartoon. My uncle, who owns Magic Makers Costumes, remade "Beeper" costume, when it needed updating. For those who do not know, Beeper was a mascot character in the vain of the Banana Splits. I wish I had a photo to share.

He's not your uncle...he's mine! LOL!

This dude is actually my brother...:)

I remember the two of us joking in the parking lot at Wal-Mart (before they had their parking numbered) about being parked in Scooby Doo 7.

Love these pics...brings back great memories of spending time at KI with my bro and uncle riding Der Spinnin Keggers, the Bayern Curve, and other classics.

Todays pic is from 1980. Thats me and my cousin Sondra on one of the kids rides. Does anyone know where this ride was located in relation as to what is in that spot today?

motorcycles.jpg

If I'm remembering correctly, that ride was located approximately where the Snoopy/Woodstock bench is now. You can see the bumper cars in the background.

The ride itself is still there (sans original Hampton vehicles). It got moved over on the other side of the kiddy cars for the 2006 Nick Central expansion. It's now called Peanuts Off Road Rally.

The ride that was originally where the bench is was the Chance helicopter ride. The Hampton umbrella ride (the one pictured) was actually over more towards the entrance to The Beastie, with the helicopter ride being located just off the frame to the right. The Enchanted Voyage building can be seen on the right hand side of the photo.

The ride that was originally where the bench is was the Chance helicopter ride. The Hampton umbrella ride (the one pictured) was actually over more towards the entrance to The Beastie, with the helicopter ride being located just off the frame to the right. The Enchanted Voyage building can be seen on the right hand side of the photo.

Thanks for clarifying. That was one of the rides I operated when I worked at KI in 2005, but I couldn't remember where it originally was.

Little late with todays pic, as I was out of town most of the day.

Yes, todays pic is of Conway Twitty in concert at KI back in 1980. I don't know if my parents knew that Conway was going to be at KI the weekend we went or if it was a suprise to them, but my mom was a big Twitty fan. I, on the other hand, was only four and has no idea who he was. I do have a vague memory of whining until my parents would take me back to my beloved Enchanted Voyage. Scooby, Yogi and the rest of the H-B gang trumped a country music legend to this four year old kid. :P

conway.jpg

It was indeed a shark. To the best of my knowledge, just a generic shark.
I am not familiar with a "generic shark"...I guess i'll have to pay more attention during "Shark Week". :rolleyes: Seriously though, thanks for the confirmation...in hindsight I should have thought of it...but I didn't!

Well, to be technical, I think it was a sharkus cartoonus. ;)

• Like 1