1985 Brochure

standbyme

85a.jpg

I like seeing King Cobra's logo featured on the front...except for seeing a Smurf it looks like a great year to be at the park.

85b.jpg

(This is the first foldout in the brochure.)

The only thing that caught my eye on this page...no pun intended...is that Yogi appears to have 1 eye closed. I can't picture a costume made with 1 eye closed...so was it possible to manually open & close the eyes on some of those outfits for a different look back then? If so, I am impressed.

85c.jpg

(Middle of brochure.)

"Flintstones shake little hands and bring on giant smiles"....GREAT line! :)

I have always loved White Water Canyon...it remains to be one of the park's better additions. (IMHO)

85d.jpg

Have a great weekend! :)

• Like 4

Standbyme, thanks for everything you have been sharing this offseason, I really enjoy looking at the older pictures and brochures you've been posting, so thank you!

1985 did look like a great year for the park, WWC is definitely one of the better additions to the park, I remember running around and riding that thing 3 or 4 times in row at night when I was younger, not the best when you have to get into a car shortly after. Still love to get on it at least once on really hot days, I just love the seclusion of it. Also, the descriptions of different things in that brochure are great. Reading about International Street really makes me hope that they can bring back some the actual "International" atmosphere to it, at the very least bring back some street perfomers, I hope Mr. Ouimet looks at how some of the atmosphere was in the past and brings it back.

I also like that Viking Fury is mentioned as one of the big thrills.

In the days before toll free numbers were common, I remember radio ads giving addresses and saying either drop us a postcard or in some cases, even a self addressed stamped envelope for more information. It truly was a different world.

I'm not that old and I remember sending plenty of SASE's for more information (typically from theme parks [i wish I had saved some of the late '80s, early '90s stuff I got from WDW] and circuses [which landed me an awesome backstage tour and experience with Royal Hanneford when they played Columbus back in the early '90s]). Good times.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that Smurf, sir.

:lol:

Sorry if I struck a nerve! (I am also POSITIVE that I do like some things that you yourself would find embarrasing...i'm just not going to help you out with that info. ;) )

Some of us were kids then and absolutely loved the Smurfs at the park. :D

Thanks for the memories! A couple friends of mine from Miamisburg and I went there on a cool, off-and-on rainy day that year. I remember hearing "Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News (which they hyped as being from some movie that was soon to come out called "Back to the Future" ;-), and "Cannonball" by Supertramp on the radio while we waited in the traffic line at the parking lot gate (both songs forever remind me of that particular trip).

I was kind of freaked out at the green and brownish, frothy foam in the water on the new WWC. It was pretty gross. Over the years, it seems I never saw that again (thankfully!). The line was long and slow through the woods. No 'pay-to-soak' attractions; just a nice, long wait for what turned out to be a pretty cool first-time ride that, despite many signs warning that "You will get wet on this ride!", left me only slightly soaked on one shoulder. (Guess I was that good at dodging water...)

I remember laughing at some of the clever -- albeit, in retrospect, criminally vandalistic -- replacements some bored (yet disrespectful) guest (jerk) carved into the signs, especially for the word 'wet'. I was surprised at how quickly park property was already being defaced, given the newness of the attraction.

Once again, Standbyme, awesome!

How can you say except for the smurf on the front? I remember the Smurf's enchanted voyage fondly. It is my greatest single memory of the park regarding rides. And to see the dolphins. That brings back great memories. Those dolphins peaked my interest to the highest level, and I have turned that into a career. The 80's and the early 90's were amongst some of the best year's the park has ever seen. One can only hope that the new president will take the company back into that direction. Pure family.

I remember laughing at some of the clever -- albeit, in retrospect, criminally vandalistic -- replacements some bored (yet disrespectful) guest (jerk) carved into the signs, especially for the word 'wet'. I was surprised at how quickly park property was already being defaced, given the newness of the attraction.

Once again, Standbyme, awesome!

Diamondback's queue area was defaced pretty quickly with graffiti and gum,especially the part with the wood fence that goes under the lift.