Doug Apple, head supervisor at BLSC, has passed away

BoddaH1994

It is my unfortunate responsibility to inform you that Doug Apple, head supervisor at the Italian Job Stunt Track in 2011, has passed away following a long history of medical battles.

I had known Doug for a long time but didn’t really get to know him as a close friend until this past year. Doug was always up for a good laugh, and rarely let his medical condition stop him from getting together with ‘the guys’ on Thursday nights, as we traditionally did. He was always one to put his friends before himself and would go to great lengths to accommodate for everyone else.

Ronny Salerno and I were fortunate enough to see Doug on his last night before slipping into a coma. We met with him at the Golden Corral near Kings Island. He had just gotten out of emergency surgery a few weeks beforehand, and could barely support himself while sitting at the table. This didn’t stop him from laughing and joking with us for several hours at the restaurant.

I will remember Doug as someone who was always thrilled to see you. He was the kind of guy that was always there for you and could always brighten your day. He was very open about his medical problems, but always played them down if you asked about them because he didn’t want to dampen the mood.

Rest in peace, Doug. There is no more suffering where you are now…

With best regards

Ryan Suhr

• Like 2

Doug apple was one of the kindest, and most respected people I have ever met. He was my supervisor for many years at KI and will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him. I am so happy to have been able to call Doug a friend. I will greatly miss seeing Doug on Thursday nights and at the park. Rest in peace my friend!

There are times when we ponder about our lives and if we will have made an impact on others or if anyone will notice our passing. Doug was a type of person who impacted everyone he met with his sincere friendliness and smile. Doug you impacted so many others including myself just knowing you and I am fortunate our paths crossed at times. I think I can speak for many that this world is a better place because of you. May you be blessed during your eternal journey.

• Like 4

It's so sad to hear. My deepest condolences...

It is always sad to hear when people we care about are called home to the great big amusement park in the sky. Especially when it is way before their time.

Doug will certainly be missed. I never knew him personally but saw him many times on my visits to Kings Island over the years.

It's times like these when we realize how fragile and precious life truly is. We need to enjoy every little moment we have and treasure all of the memories we have.

• Like 2

doug was the nicest,awesomest, most caring person i ever met. i was happy to call him my head supervisor and i feel i have changed for the better because of him. no matter how bad his day was going, he always had a smile on his face and i never heard anything negative about him. he will be missed and the park will not be the same with out him.

• Like 2

Since 2005 Doug has been one of the best friends I've had. For the past 7 years, since the off season of that year, I was lucky enough to see him almost every thursday night outside of summer operating months. You would have to search far and wide to find another guy who had been through so much, yet still wanted to attend to what was bothering you. No matter what he was going through, he never wanted you to worry about him in the least. He was always the first to try make jokes about what he was going through to keep you from worrying. One of his biggest concerns was always that what he was going through would somehow cause him to let you down, whether it was a transplant keeping him from working, or his being in the hospital causing him to miss a get together. I cannot believe he's gone. He will never be forgotten.

I never had the honor of meeting Doug but I would like to offer his family and friends my condolences on his death. People like him are rare. Even thought people do not look at me as a member of the Kings Island family, I consider the people a part of mine. Kings Island and the thousands of people that have worked or even walked through the gates are special. This man sure sounds like one of the great ones that enhanced not only the park experience but the work experience. Kings Island's charm come from people like him. To those that knew him I offer my condolences to you on your deep loss.

I had been seeing Ronny's updates on Facebook lately about this, I did not know him, unless I saw him working at the park while I was there. But this is truly sad to hear. After loving Kings Island so much and being on here it feels as if the employees are a part of your family as much as the people you spend time at the park with. Truly a sad story to hear but your all's write ups of those close to him really make me feel as if I knew him. May you rest in peace Doug, my prayers and condolences go out to your friends, family, and all those affected.

As someone on this website once said, "May a path always rise to meet you, and a coaster be on your horizon."

As I finished posting that I saw a picture of Doug on Facebook and do remember seeing him a couple of times. It really made me break down in tears, when you think about it this way it is really un-real. During the summer you see hundreds and hundreds of people pass through the gates at Kings Island and see only an amusement park, a place where only fun exists. But this truly shows that Kings Island is more than that, Kings Island can make bonds with people that are inseparable. It can bring people together to experience memories with friends that will last a lifetime. I am sure a lot of memories about Doug that will be shared involve time spent at Kings Island, once again, even though I did not know him, may Doug rest in peace.

• Like 1

I just wanted to pop in real quick and say thank you.

Ryan, I know I thanked you the other night when we all got together, but I really appreciate you taking the time to write this. I'm glad you got to come out with us on Thursdays and got to know Doug.

I wanted to thank the KIC community who knew Doug and those who didn't, I know his family really appreciates the thoughts, prayers and condolences. I appreciate everyone whose taken the time to keep Doug and his family in their thoughts.

Doug would often stay late and come in early, both as an associate and as a supervisor, to help out with special events at his rides. Whether it was BeastBuzz, the last ride of the year on The Beast, ERT times or Planet Snoopy early openings - Doug always worked hard and never complained. He was the kind of guy when the rest of us would be all tired out from working all day, Doug stayed and helped then wanted to go out and have a beer. Then he'd be back the next morning refreshed and ready to do it all over again. That's a lot when you only have one kidney, dialysis three times a week and a lot of other stuff going on. He never complained about it once.

Whether you knew him personally or not, I'm sure you encountered him at some point in the park. He was a Beast associate, Beast supervisor, supervisor of the log flume and supervisor of the Backlot: Stunt Coaster. He was trained all across the park and would help out wherever he could. He not only treated his co-workers with respect, but always looked out for the guests as well. Doug was great with the little kids that would come ride the log flume. He loved working at Kings Island and it's through that summer job that I and countless others got to know him.

While this past weekend has been tragic and hard, I can't tell you how happy I've felt. The outpouring of support from HUNDREDS of former and current employees Doug worked with has been great. The support from the KIC and enthusiast community has been wonderful as well. For me, it really shows what a special place Kings Island is. Not just for the employees, but for those who frequent the park and have made friends through the park. It has made me so happy to see how many people centered around the park are good hearted and will do anything for their friends and community - whether they know them well or not.

Thank you to everybody here. Doug trained countless supervisors and employees in the park and was responsible for establishing some top notch crews. I'm sure his memory will live on in many facets, but especially through the good job these young people will continue to do at the park.

If you ever ride The Beast - just as the train exits the station and begins to turn around before heading up the lift - there is an American flag mounted on a pole in the center. In 2008, Doug, Steve and I had the privilege of being Beast supervisors together. We created a "Real American" crew, a play off of Doug and I's love for Hulk Hogan. Many people here may remember that entire crew wearing American flag pins on their uniforms that year and continue to do so. The flag pole in the middle was built by the park maintenance staff. The three of us had jokingly asked them about putting one up and low and behold - they showed up with a flag pole for us one day. The flag still stands and is illuminated every night. When you ride The Beast and go past it - remember Doug.

Sincerely,

Ronny Salerno

• Like 3

Tonight, I got to go to Doug's viewing. It brought me a lot of peace and closure. I hated to say goodbye, but I did. I know that Doug is watching over us. I couldn't stop smiling when in the funeral home seeing things that were Doug. Seeing people lined up, I had stood in line for about an hour and a half, to pay their respects was just incredible seeing how many people's lives that Doug touched.

I teared up when I got to the family, his mother and father asked how I knew Doug and I said I worked with him at the park. They told me that it was great to see so many people from Kings Island there and that it wasn't a summer job, it was a family. I noticed that there was a piece of The Beast (that was removed during re-tracking) with a plaque with Doug's name inscribed on it as well as the rides he was associated with. RIP Doug!

• Like 3