Ed Alonzo’s Psycho Circus- Magic and Mayhem

TylerRider

I was glad to see the park announce a magic show this year. (As I have mentioned in the past, I avoid the music shows at the park religiously.) I must admit that I probably wouldn't have rushed to see this show if it hadn't have been for SoakCity's review...I just had to see if it was nearly as lame as he was claiming. After watching it not once but twice on Saturday I must say that (IMHO) his review is totally unfair. I was entertained both times. Sure an adult can figure out SOME of the tricks...so what? The tricks are only part of the show...I found Ed a very personable and funny guy. (And I am way to old to have ever watched Saved by The Bell...so I am not biased.) He is quick-witted, at both of the shows I saw he adlibbed some very funny lines based on what his volunteer assistant said or did...or didn't do.

With the exception that the dancers seemed a bit out of place..not really raunchy, just out of place, I thought the show was great...and judging by the laughter I was not alone.

I would also like to say that after each show you can meet Ed & have a picture taken. (No charge.) While waiting my turn I was impressed just how nice he was...he took time with each person and made them feel special. It struck me that here was someone who truly enjoys their "work". (Or he is a VERY good actor! :lol: ) I was last in line...and when it was finally my turn, I told him that I thought he did a great job and that I just wanted to check out the show for myself after the review on Kings Island Central he said to me something to the effect of "Oh, what did it say?" (So much for how important some of us think this site is!)

We were actually behind someone at the 1:00 show on Sat who discussed the review with Ed. He was exceptionally gracious to everyone who waited to meet him.

I was the guy at the 1:00 saturday show who's wife pet the bunny and he said, "I can tell you're an animal lover... 'cause you brought him"

Small world.

We were towards the back of the room. Gotta say, that line cracked me up. It's old school stand-up. But he pulled it off well.

• Like 1

I saw the 5:30 show Saturday and was amused. The mic cut out once or twice for a sec or two but nothing terribly wrong. I sat on the asile in the second row so I had a good seat for the whole show. Yes, it is fairly short and the tricks are a bit pedestrian, but I thought Alonzo was funny (esp during the bit with the kid) and kept the show moving. As for the dancers, that's part of a magic show--lovely assistants to focus your atention away from the illusion. All in all, I laughed and was amused, which is all I wanted. I briefly shook his hand afterwards and told him I enjoyed the show.

His website shows him at Knott's during the month of October, so doesn't look like he'll be at KI past Labor Day. He has played Vegas and has a lot of gigs lined up according to his tour schedule, so I don't think that he was begging for work when KI called.

• Like 1

Is it safe to assume that since soakcity has stopped posting on this now that a handful of positive reviews are sitting out there, and crowds appear to be strong, that he was either Ed Alonso, or someone associated with the show trying to create buzz?? I mean what kind of show almost "chokes" somebody w/ a botched trick but continues running on schedule the next couple of days?

• Like 1

I wonder how many of the guests who got "peed on" have gotten up and marched to guest services immediately after that gag...

I have actually heard of someone complaining about the ice skaters when they would use their skates to spray ice into the audience off the stage into the front few rows. It's a classic gag. Same as the clown and the squirting flower.

• Like 1

I wonder how many of the guests who got "peed on" have gotten up and marched to guest services immediately after that gag...

If I had to guess... zero. They did a similar gag at Marty's Party a few years ago and never had a problem.

If anyone did all I can say is they shouldn't be at an amusement park in the first place.

People who would complain about that are the type that would complain about ANYTHING. I remember when I did some work with the cast and crew of School of Rock a few years ago that they would, every once in a while, get complains like, "the lights were too bright" or that "the music was too loud." I mean, if you didn't enjoy the show, fine, but don't complain just to get attention. :)

Is it safe to assume that since soakcity has stopped posting on this now that a handful of positive reviews are sitting out there, and crowds appear to be strong, that he was either Ed Alonso, or someone associated with the show trying to create buzz?? I mean what kind of show almost "chokes" somebody w/ a botched trick but continues running on schedule the next couple of days?

Oddly, no one besides Soak City knows anything about anyone being "choked" by a failed trick. No one else on here happened to be at the show and all of the cast and crew members of the show that I've talked to have no idea what he's referring to. You know the type of people that like to complain just got attention? That's Soak City. It's not Alonzo. He has better things to do.

If I had an expensive electronic device that he got wet without any warning, I'd be pretty mad.

The way the trick works, a lot of people get a few drops of water on them. It's not enough to really damage any electronics. If he destroys your iPhone, just bring a Tesla Coil to the next show and if he gets you wet... that's the end of Mr. Wizard. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I saw the show for the first time last night, as Don gave the CFK participants priority seating for the 7:00 show. I agree with most of what's been said here. The dancers were not entirely G-rated, but still reasonably appropriate for a family environment; as others said above, you'll see much more out in the park and especially the waterpark. The tricks were good, and Ed himself was genuinely funny and good with the ad libs. He even cracked a joke about our bright green CFK shirts. Overall, it was a great show.

• Like 2

Ever so much groan. Very punny, Terp.

My dad was the type to sit us kids in the dolphin wet line, so he can have a laugh. I was taught not to carp about trick pee, it makes other people laugh. If you can't laugh with them, your an ass.

• Like 1

I saw this show on Saturday and all I can say is its too short!! Honestly, it was a very fun show, my self, my wife, sister-in-law, and nephew loved the show. It was fun, fast paced and a nice relaxing moment in the park.

Plus how often do you get to see Max from Saved by the Bell do magic at your local theme park?

• Like 1

Hi Medford. Ed Alonzo uses children volunteers about his age for one of his acts. It's funny, it's spontaneous and children & adults alike just love him. It has dancing, fire and live animals. So, there is something for everyage. And, YES....it's easy to get up and leave the auditorium without heckle. That has been a question in the past. Ed is too busy to stop the show just to ask "where ya goin?". Everybody knows that if you have a small child who's not cooperating or is need of the bathroom, everyone will appreciate you more for tending to your childs' need as not to disrupt the show. Overall....Have a great time! Sit back, relax and have a laugh or two or twenty. It's well worth it!!!

• Like 1

thanks, I assumed that was the case. I wasn't worried so much about being heckled, I can deal with that, besides who's going to heckle someone taking a kid outside of the theater for being a bit to figidty, I was more worried about how easily one can get out the theater at a moment notice. I'd hate to bother everyone else if I had to exit out the front, while sitting in the back.

• Like 1

The exits are on the sides at the back of the theater, but it's quite easy to get up and leave early regardless of where you're sitting. If you think you might have to leave, just sit on the end of the aisle so you don't have to disturb other guests in the row.

• Like 1

It this really that much water to really be complaning about, it's not anyone is getting a bucket of water dumped on them.

It's more than a squirtgun - more like a brief super-soaker. I was sitting there with a smartphone and a fairly expensive DLSR, which don't take too much water to ruin, so I'd have been pretty unhappy to receive the water. The Ice show always told you that the first 5 rows were the 'spray zone', but I missed any warning that there was any sort of squirt. I would not have objected to ME getting wet, but I sure would have if the gear got it. I *think* Ed made an effort to avoid folks with gear if he could see it though.

That said, just sit in the back half of the theater and all is well - that's where I'll be when I go back to see the show next! :lol:

• Like 1

Somebody probably mentioned this,but im not reading this entire post again. Ed has a really cool website,he is best friends with Neil Patrick Harris and has been on tour with Brittany Spears.The park always mentions how he was on saved by the bell,but he's done much more.

• Like 1